my fist smoked canadian bacon

king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Sat Jun 01, 2013 21:27

yeah probably i little longer they were some long hot smoked kielbasa. i was using a thick piece of sheet metal on my fire box and every time i would have a fire going in the pit the steel sheet would bend from such high temps and let smoke out so i took it off the sealed the top of my fire pit with fire bricks is that ok?. as you can see i have this metal sheet covering the front but there is a little gap where some air gets in and when i close my damper a little bit the smoke starts shooting out the front of the fore pit. do you know any kind of door where i can open and close the front of my fire pit? also another thing when i burning the wood in my fire pit i get alot of flames on the wood is that normal or no? i will send a pic in a little bit of my new constructed fire pit
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jun 01, 2013 22:05

When you started this effort I suggested that you play with the fire. if it gets too hot separate the sticks, push them into the side, that will reduce the mutual heat. Pulling your fire apart will give you the best control with the type of fire place that you have. Make a fire with no meat in the smoke house and learn to control the fire and work with it. You should be able to build a fire get a good burn going for ten or fifteen minutes and then pull it apart and have the flames die out but get lots of smoke, when it seems that the smoke is too little push a couple of the sticks together and study what happens. This is a primative art and we must learn some of the primative ways.
Ross- tightwad home cook
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Sun Jun 02, 2013 01:50

yeah your right i will try playing with the fire and see how to manage the flame going out of control. i just put 8 pounds of bacon in the pops brine do you think thats to much salt and cure for 8 pounds of bacon?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 02, 2013 02:27

I don't use a wet cure for bacon.
Ross- tightwad home cook
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Sun Jun 02, 2013 18:18

oh so you use a dry cure thats fine i think it will work out good. thank you for helping me out i will post the pics of the bacon when its ready next week
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Sun Jun 16, 2013 16:19

When I make Canadian Bacon I use Rytek's recipe. I change the the dextrose to molasses and honey and add a some dry mustard like a a half a cup to 5 gallons of brine. I also boil pickling spice, say a 1/2 cup in a quart of water and dump that in the brine too. The more I type the more I realize it's not Rytek's recipe any more! I use the same brine for chicken and turkey breasts and slab bacon. I wind up with a golden color.

V465
V465
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 16, 2013 18:26

What is the salt content and the cure content and how long do you keep the meat in the cure?
Ross- tightwad home cook