another 1st ham guy

ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Mon Dec 23, 2013 08:44

They say celeriac is a turnip that's been hit with the ugly stick!
Ursula
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Dec 23, 2013 18:59

I'd never heard of celeriac before, I'll look around the produce department to see what's there. There just too much fat in a picnic ham, period. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 23, 2013 20:45

sawhorseray wrote:What a bunch of slop, I'll never purchase another picnic ham as long as I live. Tho 99≠ per pound at 18 pounds from the grocery store, the yield was six pounds of trimmed ham for split pea soup, a bag of skin and fat for the dog, and a couple of soup bones in the covered bag. Way too much time and money spent on brining and smoking along with having to carve enough meat scraps to make soup with to ever think of doing this again. My 16qt SS pot arrives Xmas eve from Amazon, I'll be doing a massive batch of split pea soup. RAY

[url=http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee20 ... 2bbe44.jpg]Image[/URL]
Looks good all the same. If I might offer a suggestion as I am all to familiar with train wrecks and have learned a few things on how to salvage said wrecks.

If you haven't tried it yet and assuming you have enough meat for your soup, you may want to make some Deviled Ham. There is a really good recipe on the site made by Trosky. Here is the link.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4825

If you haven't tried this yet its incredible.

I tweaked the recipe a bit today making more of a southern style - um - using what I had on hand.

About 10 minutes later I was eating lunch and had fulfilled a request from my son.

I believe if you give the Trosky recipe a go you might feel better about the picnics and the time you spent.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 21:22

Not many people actually know Celeriac at all. Here in Australia they are for sale in the supermarket at $ 7-10 each. Most of them they throw away after about a week as they are going soft.
Ray, you might see them for sale with their tops on. Use the lot, you'll never regret it.
It's a popular Northern European pea soup ingredient along with some seriously smoked sausage chunks.
Cheers,
JAN.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Dec 23, 2013 21:32

Ray - if you are going looking for it, you may see it being sold as celery root. Same thing. It makes awesome soup, and is great raw or cooked like any other vegetable.

Jeff