2nd Loin Back Bacon

Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

2nd Loin Back Bacon

Post by Shuswap » Fri Jun 06, 2014 00:23

Too long absent but back and trying to improve my Back Bacon. This batch was in the smoker at 200F for 3 hours and I think the color is better than my first effort. I used cherry with hickory chips.

Still trying to get the cracked pepper to stay on the bacon I`ve adopted CW`s family secret by making it the last step. Smoked and cooked to 151 F I let it cool down and then, using butcher`s paper wax side up, I applied honey and then the cracked pepper. The 3rd day of resting in the fridge is over for the Sunday morning feast. DW told me next time to do the whole loin :grin:

I might not share a photo of that as I don`t want Duk to see how much I eat at a sitting now that he has seen me wolf down brisket in the Hill Country.

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 00:51

How much brisket DID you wolf down Phil? :shock:
Goodness, how could you eat with all that hot air being emitted from a foul fowl? :roll:
P.S. The loin looks terrific! Nice job pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Jun 06, 2014 04:26

That does look good. I was going to suggest the honey. You might also try molasses as well. Brown sugar helps too and less messy.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jun 06, 2014 07:48

Shushwap your back bacon looks great! (And a heck of a lot leaner and healthier than that greasy Texas brisket you gorged on!)

I bought four large loins today for a hundred and ten bucks. $2.50 per lb these days is not bad. Not sure whether we will see them again for 2 bucks. I processed them into roasts, chops, nice 5lb. pieces for dry curing and for back bacon. Also ended up with 2.5 kg of trims for sausage. Lots of meat in the freezer. Just gotta find some time to make sausage!
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Jun 06, 2014 15:03

Nice piece of work Shuswap! I find that rolling the loin right after being rinsed and tied makes the pepper stick pretty well before they go into the smoker. Seems like the days of pork loin for $1.99 lb. are history, Costco's about the best deal at a consistent price of $2.39 lb. Meat prices are kind of like "temporary" bridge fares and taxes, once raised they seldom drop back to what they were. I paid $3.26 lb. for backfat the other day, guess they know when your over a barrel. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:12

Looks excellent, what time is breakfast ? :mrgreen: Don't despair on the loin prices as our local supermarket has 1.99 loin this week so its still available in the states
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 2nd Loin Back Bacon

Post by el Ducko » Sat Jun 07, 2014 20:08

Shuswap wrote:I might not share a photo of that as I don`t want Duk to see how much I eat at a sitting now that he has seen me wolf down brisket in the Hill Country.
UhOh! Betsy just got an email from Marilyn, revealing all!

Next year when you come, bring some bacon along. Looks great! Short of growing your own cherry and hickory trees, I don't know how you can top that.
Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Re: 2nd Loin Back Bacon

Post by Shuswap » Sat Jun 07, 2014 20:22

el Ducko wrote:
Shuswap wrote:I might not share a photo of that as I don`t want Duk to see how much I eat at a sitting now that he has seen me wolf down brisket in the Hill Country.
UhOh! Betsy just got an email from Marilyn, revealing all!

Next year when you come, bring some bacon along. Looks great! Short of growing your own cherry and hickory trees, I don't know how you can top that.
Duk
:mrgreen:
I just saw the exchange between our wives - not all was revealed but here it is. Since returning I have been on the tread mill every other day doing my best to make room for more yummy sausage and bacon. :razz: My doc thinks I'm doing it to improve my health - hee hee
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sun Jun 08, 2014 16:56

Taaaasty back bacon but too dry. I trimmed the silver skin and fat from the loin before brining and smoking. Should I have trimmed after smoking to maintain some moisture or are there other strategies for preventing it from being too dry :?:
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jun 08, 2014 17:23

Back bacon (cured and smoked loin) will be dry if you fry it. It is completely devoid of fat and the smoking and baking process dries it out. It is best served as a cold cut. Next time you are doing a loin, cut of a chunk after you cure it and try that in a frying pan. That is what what is known as peameal bacon, famous in Ontario. The Americans took it one more step smoked it, and called it Canadian Bacon.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 08, 2014 22:32

Rolled and smoked butt makes better bacon for breakfast than does loin.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Jun 09, 2014 01:15

I keep Canadian bacon whole in the deli drawer of the fridge after they are smoked and use it just like ham, which it kind of is. For breakfast I slice as much and as thick as I want an heat it up in the microwave to be served with eggs or to be made into eggs Benedict. Stove-top frying would take out all the moisture and just give it a tougher to chew texture, I'd think. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jun 09, 2014 02:32

ssorllih wrote:Rolled and smoked butt makes better bacon for breakfast than does loin
Actually neither is "bacon" in the true sense of the word. But I agree "smoked butt", (or better known as buckboard bacon or cottage bacon) is better from the frying pan than back bacon (aka Canadian bacon).
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Jun 09, 2014 08:02

There' is really no difference in the flavor between fried butt bacon or belly bacon. There's not much difference in flavor between Canadian bacon or ham. Seems to me to be a world of difference between fried belly or butt bacon and fried ham, like comparing apples and oranges. Both are cured smoked dead pig meat, totally different flavors. Both go well with eggs, taters, and toast. Ray