Pig tongues & snouts

Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Pig tongues & snouts

Post by Rick » Sat Sep 01, 2012 00:18

I would like to make some Kiszka, Headcheese and Tongue blood sausage which all use tongues and snouts in their mix. My question is do the tongues and snouts have to be skinned after cooking and grinding? Thank you!
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sat Sep 01, 2012 01:26

Hi Rick.

You cook the tongue and the snouts in water close to the boiling temp., but do not let it boil, just simmer.
When the meat begins to fall off the bones, it's done. You can take off the skin from the ears, let the rest stay. Take off the meat hot/warm, and let it cool before you grind it.

When the tongues is done, take it out, some people pull off the skin, others don't, just scrape off the white layer from the top. You let that cool too, and grind.

The cooking takes about 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours or so.

You can use other meats too, but it have to be fat, and add skin.
Last edited by Gulyás on Sat Sep 01, 2012 01:38, edited 2 times in total.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Sat Sep 01, 2012 01:35

Rick,

You definitely want to skin the tongues! The snouts can be left unskinned and ground with the added benefit that the skins will add a lot of gelatin to the sausage. I posted a blood and tongue recipe some time ago on another site, here's the URL: http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Blut-Zungen.pdf

(If you use the skins from the snouts, you can omit the powdered gelatin in my recipe).
Rudy
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 08:16

Hi Rick,
I have just made a large headcheese/brawn style sausage. It turned out very nice but most recipes I researched, advised to cure the meat first. It produces pink pieces of pork and looks better. My pork pieces turned out greyish looking.
Do add plenty of skins, hocks and bones for jelly, simmer and don't boil.
My next trial will be with cured meat, the addition of small cubed polski ogorki and some red sliced capsicum.
I will post some photos when I can.
Regards,
Jan.
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:14

IdaKraut, Yes, I did see that recipe on the Poli website which is a great one for all sausage makers!
In fact, I'm heading out today to my local Oriental Food stores to see if I can get some blood. Slaughter houses in my area are not allowed to sell blood by the bulk as it is a product that cannot be readily inspected at time of slaughter. Snouts were another thing my local slaughter house said they could not provide me because of the inspection. Although I have since spoken with a local meat broker who said he can get me 15# cases of tongue for $2.05 per # and 30# cases of snouts. Price unknown at present as not much call for snouts, but he does have tongue in stock!

I did a little Google research on the frozen blood products, and it seems they are offered in a coagulated and non-coagulated state. Does it make a difference which one I get? I did read where with the coagulated you can put it into a blender before use.

Gulyas,
I did see recipes that called for adding pork skin. Again I have to ask is the skin cooked just to get the gelatin and then discarded, or is the skin also put through the grinder on a fine grind?

As for the headcheese, do you stuff in Beef bungs? I do have some loaf molds which were scarce as hens teeth to find, and was considering those. My concern is getting a good even suspension of product throughout the loaf. It would seem all the product would head for the bottom of the pan as its put in making for an uneven looking distribution of meat in the final cured product.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:59

Hi Rick.

I wrote a long post, but I lost it to cyberspace. :shock:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are 2 kind of kiszka, (hurka in Hungarian), the white with liver, and the one with blood, they are the same thing, the only difference is the blood added, and called blood sausage. And of course the variation of a million......

The skin is important, because of the gelatin to hold it together.
Here is a link, to look at pictures, because it's in Hungarian.

http://grocceni.com/tor/ver.html

The headcheese is different. (disznósajt in Hungarian). Originally they are stuffed in the stomach. Or you can use any form, or large casings.
The skin is left in large pieces. The meat is cut up with knife, not ground, big pieces also. Again The links for looking at pictures....

http://grocceni.com/tor/disznosajt.html

http://www.serpenyo.hu/recept/hazi_disz ... ermek/1638

http://disznosajt-hazilag.infobomba.hu/

http://lexikon.vendegvaro.hu/disznosajt

If I can help to translate, I'll be happy to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mexican food stores also sell everything you need for them. At least that's the case in my area.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sat Sep 01, 2012 15:10

Rick.

Casings for headcheese..........http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php ... cts_id=281
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sat Sep 01, 2012 15:19

Rick.

Some people grind some of the meat, for head cheese, and cut the rest to big pieces. The ground is a good filler in between the big pieces.
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Sat Sep 01, 2012 15:43

Rick,
Larger Asian food stores should have the uncoagulated beef and pork blood either fresh or frozen (I've use both with good results). I've never seen or used coagulated blood. Also, they have pork snouts, hocks, feet (all fresh, not smoked) as well as some things I wouldn't eat (pig uterus?). I've stuffed the blood tongue into both beef bungs and large fibrous casings; makes no difference in final appearance or taste. Note: using snouts, hocks, feet (as long as they still have the skin on), makes for a better final sausage versus using powdered gelatin. I use a canning funnel inserted into the casing and then secured with rubber bands or butcher twine and then stuff either by hand and or ladle.
Rudy
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Sep 01, 2012 17:53

Gulya's and IdaKraut,
Just got back home from shopping. I stopped at one Oriental market and inquired about blood and the lady looked at me like I was nuts! Went down the road a piece to the next Asian market (Vietnamese) which also had a meat case. They indeed had blood. My choice was pork blood cooked or uncooked. I asked about beef blood and she gave me that look again like I was nuts. She did say she probably could get it, but a special order. She also said the Vietnamese people were big into pork blood and duck blood. DUCK BLOOD! This was a special order too, but not as uncommon as beef blood. Oh boy, I just need a good Duck Blood Soup recipe! I see that in the future.
So I picked up a few 1# containers of the fresh pork blood ($1.75 per #) and put it in the freezer. It wasn't coagulated that I could see. She said it was very fresh and sells out every week.

I then stopped at a local slaughter house north of me and ordered a pigs head, pig fat back and a pork belly with skin on for next week. He also said he'd be willing to save me some beef blood since it was for my personal use. As for the tongues and snouts, I'll check back at that Asian market or order a case of each this week.

IdaKraut, I like the canning funnel idea.

My plan now is to cook the head next weekend which will give me time to order some casing from BP and get the rest of the product I need this week.

Now since the head will come with the ears and skin, Gulya's, is this enough skin to cut into big pieces after its cooked and stuffed along with the chunks of meat? Or should I have ordered extra pork skin?

So jumping ahead to next weekend, I've cooked my head (brains, eyes, teeth the whole thing) skimming the water as it cooks. When its finally done, I pick it all apart saving the chunks of meat and discarding the bones, teeth etc. I also reserve my cooking broth.
The question is then, when stuffing the meat with the funnel, how much of the broth is poured in along with the meat? How do I know that I've gotten most of the jell with the broth that I'm adding along with the meat into the casing?
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sat Sep 01, 2012 19:30

Rick.

This is a very old sausage. They made it at "pig killing"-time, when they had lots of meat. When people make it from meat they buy, (alone), they make it in 2 days. So step by step.......
You should have enough meat, and skin too. I note here, that pork knuckles, and feet has lots of gelatin.

This sausage is cooked twice.

Day 1........In the afternoon, they cook the meat, do NOT skim off the lard. Separate the meat from bones, discard teeth, bones, brain, eyes, cut out inside nose, and ears.
Cool it overnight, till very cold, and ready to grind. Save the water/juice it was cooked in.

Day 2........Grind the meat, cook the rice, or whatever you are using....skim off the lard from cooking water, save it.
While rice is warm, mix it with meat, lard from cooking water, all spices, some cooking water, fried onions, make soft mix, so it flows.
Stuff it, with help of funnel, or very carefully with sausage stuffer.

Heat up the water you saved from yesterday, below boiling point, cook the sausages again, 20 minutes to 1 hour, depending size/thickness. (Till juice is running clear when pricked with needle)
When done, let them cool. Use or freeze within 3 days.

To eat them, they bake them on oven.

******Note..... The rice in it soaks up lots of fat, make sure you have plenty.

Also read here.......http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ty ... od-sausage
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Sep 01, 2012 21:31

Well another trip back to the Asian market netted me my tongues and a trip to the Spanish meat market netted the snouts. It appears I'm on my way to making some headcheese first next weekend. Then I'll give a try to the Kiszka the following weekend. For this long weekend I do have a couple of pork butts in the fridge which I plan on making some French Brandy and Garlic brats with.
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Sat Sep 01, 2012 21:55

Gulyás wrote:There are 2 kind of kiszka
There's a third kind, usually written "kishka" or "kishke" in English. It's an Eastern European Jewish dish, in which cow intestine is stuffed with mostly pieces of old bread, and spices and chopped onion. It was often cooked with brisket or cholent, and it soaked up fat and juices.

Nowadays, you can sometimes get a crappy plastic-wrapped version in Jewish delis. It's nowhere near as good as the original. I tried it a few times, and it makes me sad because it dilutes the memory of what my mother used to make.

See : http://www.food.com/recipe/stuffed-kish ... erma-92273
Last edited by laripu on Sat Sep 01, 2012 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sun Sep 02, 2012 00:04

This sausage is sold on many different names, I like most of them. In the "good-old days", I used to buy very good ones in Chicago, but those butchers aren't around anymore..... :sad:
I always have some in my freezer, I made a picture for you.

Lucky me, I'm living close by this sausage maker too, and I'm able to buy it anytime. :grin:

http://usinger.com/deli/blood-sausage.html?mode=grid

German stores have it too, the names are different.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sun Sep 02, 2012 01:03

Rick.

I forgot, stuff this sausages loose, otherwise they blow apart when you cook it the second time, they expend.