What To Do With Pork Liver

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

What To Do With Pork Liver

Post by markjass » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:54

I have been on holiday for 25 days and returned home and got some good news. For a long time I have been trying to get some pork liver. A local butcher (free range grass fed pork) had left a message that he had got 1 Kg of pork liver for me. Fortunately, while I was away I had checked my answer phone and I called him to ask him to freeze it.

The question is what to do with it. I am the only one in the house hold who will eat it. I want to make some spreadable liverwurst. Anyone got any ideas or recommendations as to any successful recipes. I would consider a sausage, pate or terrine or whatever

Mark.
Last edited by markjass on Wed Mar 27, 2013 05:02, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:55

There are several on the same page as this one. http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... usage-pate
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Mar 26, 2013 16:31

Try the liver mush. Depending on how much meal you add will influence whether or not its spreadable. It doesn't have a strong livery taste but you can tell its there.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Wed Mar 27, 2013 00:33

Makes a great boudin as well!

Pork liver is almost extinct around here anymore... Not sure why, but the meat markets don't carry it, and the pack house down the road already has it sold before the pigs come down the line...

Charlie
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 27, 2013 02:07

We have considerable ethnic diversity around here and different markets in different sections of the county carry different products. I can get heart, kidney, and liver if i drive fifteen miles.
Ross- tightwad home cook
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

I can only comment on my own experience

Post by markjass » Wed Mar 27, 2013 08:46

I had almost given up on getting pork liver. When I got the call from a local butcher. This butcher is directly tied in with a "pig farm" (for him I hate that term). In NZ pork farmers have had a bad press. They are public enemy No. 1. However there are a number of farms that rear pigs free range. They cannot call themselves organic because they cannot guarantee the supplementary food is organic. Anyway the two outfits that I buy my pork from from say that the offal is removed from the pigs at slaughter and they get enough for themselves, but find it difficult supplying customers with pork liver.

In the morning I am collecting 1kg, 2.2lbs of frozen pork livers. I am not working on Saturday and will use it. I have located a couple of home kill butchers in the Provence (these are legit and certified). I was on the verge of calling them to see if they had any suggestions.

The last time I got some pork liver was about 6 months ago. I made some liver sausage. It was lovely, but not very spreadable. I have a couple of German mates who loved it. They sliced it up for sandwiches and for anti-pasta. They keep asking me when am I going to make it again. When I make chicken liver pate I mix it with cream when I blend it. This makes it spreadable. Has anyone done this with pork liver?
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Wed Mar 27, 2013 15:13

Consider Butterbean's braunschweiger - I had some because WD member Doug made it. Fantastic. His formula calls for a lot of organ meats, but you could adjust for that by consulting this formula: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... nschweiger

I think that if you use a creamy fat such as belly instead of back fat you will geat a nice spreadable texture.

Doug added minced fresh jalapeno by the way - just a little so there was more taste than heat. Really nice.

Jeff
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu Mar 28, 2013 19:00

I'm a huge fan of terrines. I had to sub veal liver when I couldn't get my hands on pork liver. Recipe here: http://hgsausageworks.blogspot.com/2013 ... tloaf.html
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 01:36

Here's an idea. I made this pate once with pork liver - very simple, easy to make, and it was tasty:

http://www.food.com/recipe/danish-pork-liver-pate-13895
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Success

Post by markjass » Sun Mar 31, 2013 08:42

Thank you for your sugestions. I have some lovely liver pate sausage and it is spreadable.

This is the recipe for Braunschweiger Liver Sausage

Meats Metric US
pork liver 500 g 1.10 lb.
pork jowls, bacon, or fat pork trimmings 500 g 1.10 lb.
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat

salt 18 g 3 tsp.
pepper 2.0 g 1 tsp.
marjoram 2.0 g 1 tsp.
nutmeg 1.0 g 1/2 tsp.
onion, finely chopped 60 g 1 onion

I adapted it after having a conversation with the butcher who got me the pork liver. I used 500g of liver and 500g of pork belly (I also switched allspice for nutmeg as I am not so keen on it).

Ken the butcher said that the more meet that you add the firmer it will be. He said that I do not need cream and a way around it is to poach the pork belly until it falls apart. Also suggested was to add between 20 and 70 grams of milk powder (I used 20 grams). I had one of those in out days yesterday so I placed the pork belly (with the bone) in my slow cooker with celery, water, peppercorns, garlic, onions, carrots and a couple of bayleafes, 1/2 cup of white wine (left from the night before). I cooked it on high and low and low and high (it was about equivalent to about 12 hours on low) as the days plans and a barbecue invite came in.

I poached the cubed liver for about 3 mins. Then I ground the liver through a 2 mm grind (the smallest that I have got). I did the same with the pork belly, skin and all. I then mixed the liver and pork belly and ground them together. I then blended the meat with the other ingredients. I added a little stock (about 50 grams) to help things along.

I stuffed the pate into pork casings (all I had) and poached them in the stock mix until the internal temperature of 69 degrees. Result some lovely pork liver pate, stunning stock (clarified and froze it today).

Next time I would add much more garlic to the sausage mix, may be a bit of wine or brandy. I wonder if a bit of curry powder would not go a miss. I could also have used green bacon rather than pork belly.