Buffalo Wing Sandwich Meat

Butterbean

Buffalo Wing Sandwich Meat

Post by Butterbean » Fri Feb 26, 2016 20:25

This is an attempt at putting buffalo wings between two slices of bread. Not overly spicy and has a gentle bite near end. Not a bad sandwich at all but I have to reflect and wonder what I was thinking with the rosemary. Not bad, just seems a bit out of place in this meat.

Boneless Chicken - I used thighs

0.25% Cure 1
1.75% Non-iodized salt. I used organic gluten-free salt gathered by Aborigine Pygmies.
3/4 clove of finely minced garlic for each pound of meat
0.2% White pepper
0.1% Tumeric
0.5% Cayenne Pepper
1.0% Paprika
0.06% Dried Chopped Parsley
0.06% finely chopped fresh rosemary
0.27% Phosphate

Cut chicken up and combine with spices. Let rest refrigerated till its nearly frozen. Grind twice using fine plate. Place mince in a bread mold lined with Reynolds wrap. Drop it a few times to be sure it settles well and any air pockets are removed. Cover with wrap. (Bread tray will hold a little over 4 lbs of mince)
Place another bread mold on top and add some water or weight to the tray to put some pressure on the mince to be sure it forms well.
Place both trays in hot water bath set at 175F and leave for about 20 minutes per pound or until the internal temperature reaches 160F.
Remove from heat and place tray in cold water to cool then place in refrigerator to chill overnight.

Chilled and removed from mold.

Slice thin and build yourself a sandwich. So far, everyone who has tasted it loves it. It has a tiny bit of heat at the end but not much. When I make it again I think I'll omit the rosemary. Not that it tastes bad it just seems out of place in this flavor profile.

harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Fri Feb 26, 2016 21:48

Looks killer BB!

So does it taste pretty much like hot buffalo wings?
Sounds good with a smear of blue cheese dressing on the bread!

I guess you can substitute any real flavor profile using this kind of emulsion loaf?
Like chicken and waffles, etc? :-)
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Feb 26, 2016 23:57

IMO, its falling short of copying the taste of a buffalo wing because it lacks the acidity from the vinegar used in wing sauce. The heat is milder too but this was intentional to compromise on people's idea of heat. Personally I could stand it much hotter but my wife keeps me reined in. So far everyone likes it and its all spoken for except about a half pound that I hoarded for myself.

Like you say, you could substitute any flavor profile with this emulsion. I was really flying by the seat of my pants when I came up with this. I've always been interested in emulsions but don't have much experience with them.

Since I was using skinless chicken I wanted to be sure the emulsion was smooth and not grainy but I also didn't want it to be spongy so so I tempered the amount of phosphate I used. It set real well so you could probably cut this back some more.

I think to get it closer to a buffalo wing a little more pepper should be used and also some vinegar. How much I haven't a clue. And how would this effect the emulsion or would it? Still learning. :oops: But its still pretty good.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Sun Feb 28, 2016 06:07

BB,

You might just add some Frank's Red Hot to the emulsion before you cook it, as that is pretty much the buffalo wing taste in a jar (vinegar, hot sauce, all that goodness in one shot!)

2:1 Franks to butter is an industry standard go-to wing sauce!

Would also give you a great red color too!

Hope it helps!

Jason
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Feb 28, 2016 18:01

Thanks Jason, I like Franks Sauce. We also use one called Rickey's. Its very similar. I agree it would be nice to get that pretty red color but have been thinking on this and don't know if the sauce would be the solution since the color on wings is one dimensional and in the sandwich meat it is three dimensional if you follow my thinking. I just don't know how deep that color would go before it was diluted by the meat. I'm afraid the amount of Franks you'd need to add enough color would be so much you'd add to much acid it might affect the bind or make it too vinegary.

Assuming the heat in this recipe is enough, I'm wondering if I couldn't test the pH of the chicken and compare that to the pH of some chopped up wings and adjust the pH with vinegar and possibly add something mild like paprika to add more red color. I don't know. Just thinking out loud and appreciate your thoughts.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Sun Feb 28, 2016 18:39

Maybe just add a bit of Franks to the emulsion, just to add the slight vinegar and pepper taste, but not enough to change the color.

Then when you do the cool down after cooking, instead of water batch maybe you do an ice cold soak in Franks for an hour or so?

That may give you 1/8" or so of absorbed red outside layer, and Franks edge taste, but the rest of the block will be the chicken color? Just a thought.

Get enough edge bleed thru to look good when slicing, and also be enough Franks soaked on the edge to be able to taste like a fresh tossed batch of wings.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Feb 28, 2016 20:36

I like that idea! Thanks! Actually I had thought of coating the outside with paprika to give it better eye-appeal but I think soaking is definitely a better idea.

Everyone loves it like it is but I just know it could be better and I appreciate your help in thinking outside the box. Thanks. I'll definitely give that a go and also do some homework on what some vinegar will do to the emulsion. I'm sure I can use some to twang it up I just don't know how far I can push it. I probably can find some info on this in Mexican chorizo threads. Seems I remember reading something about binding problems with too much vinegar in someone's post about this but my memory fails me and chorizo isn't something I care much for so I rarely make it.