Looking for an explanation

Butterbean

Looking for an explanation

Post by Butterbean » Fri Dec 12, 2014 16:51

Friend was canning some corned beef and had asked me for some recipes and advice and she had done a lot of reading on her own and found on Morton's website they say not to use Tenderquick in canning.

She gave me the link (attached) so I could get the context of why but they offer no explanation of why. I do see that they also say not to use their table salt in canning because the calcium silicate they use to keep it from clumping can settle to the bottom of the jar in the canning process.

I'm just curious at why they would say this. I wonder if it has to do with the additives in the Tenderquick which might settle like the stuff in the table salt or is it because Tenderquick had nitrate in it and this would fall under the same reason why you don't use nitrates on bacon or is there some other reason.

I can't see how nitrites or even nitrates could pose a problem in canning given that boiling will reduce nitrate levels in vegetables by 75% and since the canning process will not exceed 240F well beneath the temperature level needed for nitrosamine formation.

I'm puzzled and curious if anyone has an explanation of why they would say this.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/faqs/food-salt-faqs
DiggingDogFarm
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Fri Dec 12, 2014 17:14

The way it's written it's saying not to use their curing products in canning the way that canning salt is used.
It's not saying that meats cured with Morton products can't be canned.

"Can Morton meat curing products be used for canning?
No, Morton meat curing products --- MortonŸ Tender Quick, MortonŸ Sugar CureŸ (Plain) and MortonŸ Smoke Flavored Sugar CureŸ should only be used to cure meats."
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 13, 2014 03:28

DiggingDogFarm wrote:The way it's written it's saying not to use their curing products in canning the way that canning salt is used.
It's not saying that meats cured with Morton products can't be canned.

"Can Morton meat curing products be used for canning?
No, Morton meat curing products --- MortonŸ Tender Quick, MortonŸ Sugar CureŸ (Plain) and MortonŸ Smoke Flavored Sugar CureŸ should only be used to cure meats."
Thanks, that makes sense.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Dec 13, 2014 04:30

I often can cured meat but I never would use tender quick as a substitute for canning salt. Added salt is not a requirement for canning. Curing meat and cold smoking it or not before canning works well.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Dec 13, 2014 05:05

I agree, the way it is written you should not use TQ in place for canning salt. They are just making sure nobody will make the mistake of using it for canning salt.
Dam that would be nasty