Smoking Tuna?

JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Smoking Tuna?

Post by JerBear » Wed Oct 19, 2011 04:19

As most of you are aware I'm about to finish up my smoker construction project and the uncle who helped me put the smoker together has volunteered a tuna loin for experimentation. I noticed the prior posts all suggest some level of brining, is this a requirement or mostly for freshwater fish? Also, what does the smoking schedule for fish look like? Last question (and I think I know the answer), if you're familiar with tuna loin it's pretty thick at one end and thins out considerably near the tail, should I cut the loin into more-or-less similar sized pieces?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 20, 2011 01:32

somebody here must have an answer. My inclination would be to cut everything to an inch thick
Tuna is rather lean and fat fish smokes better than lean fish. Maybe marinate with a oil soaked brine?
Ross- tightwad home cook
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Thu Oct 20, 2011 02:00

I've never smoked tuna, but have lots of other fish.
Friends who smoke it, always 'cure' it with a brine or rub.
If it's cold smoked (which is the only way to do it, IMHO) the thickness isn't as great an issue as it is with warm smoking or smoke roasting.

~Martin
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu Oct 20, 2011 04:54

I did a little off-wedliny searching last night and found an off-shore fisherman's forum and brining seemed to be the way to go. Most said cut to 1-1.5" slabs. I just don't know when it's "done". Normally I go by temp but I don't know if that would apply to fish.

Thanks for the input guys.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 08:59

Hi Jer, Have you ever wondered why do fish spoil so quickly? Although most bacteria in fish are found in their digestive tracts and in the slime covering their skins, fish retain an unusually high concentration of bacteria. Surprisingly, both freshwater and saltwater fish sustain incredibly low percentages of salt in their meat, some with as little as one-fifth of one percent. Additionally, fish contain up to 80% water as opposed to beef having only about 60%. With such low levels of salt and high concentrations of water, the Aw reduction requires more time - perfect conditions for the development of brochotrix thermosphacta, pseudomonas spp.(species), or other spoilage bacteria. And make no mistake, fish are as at risk to carrying the deadly toxins of clostidium botulinum as any other meat or food.

In modern times, with refrigeration widely available, few cultures continue the practice of heavily salting fish for long-term storage in barrels or other containers, to be re-hydrated later for consumption. Yet, salt brining and smoking remain popular mostly because of the wonderful textures and flavors produced. Salt brining also improves the strength of the meat as it is hung to dry. Brining is more thorough than simple salting as liquid penetration reaches into every possible cavity. Finally, brining is essential in controlling the growth of bacteria until the meat drops below Aw .85.

Any brining solution of about 70% is considered sufficiently strong for fish brining. For better penetration, many folks use a weaker 50 or 60% solution for a longer period of time. SausageMaker™ Rytek Kutas made his very strong fish brine at 90° salinity. I`ve lightened up his recipe a little (to 80°) to avoid the traces of salt left behind on the surface of the fillets. An hour`s time is plenty for fillets an inch thick. Soak thicker fish two hours.

Jer, I think you`ll like this recipe. First select a brine strength. (I`d suggest an 80° SAL strength to begin with). Column 1 is SAL degrees (strength) at 60°F. Column 2 is salt in grams per liter. Column 3 is salt in pounds per gallon, and Column 4 is salt percent by weight. I always chuckled at Rytek`s strong brine because he would add so much salt it would leave a film even after it was soaked and rinsed. He often used a brine of more than 80° SAL for fish (almost 90° SAL). It`s just the way he liked his smoked fish (he snacked on it all day). I like Stan Marianski`s approach of using a lighter but effective brine. Be sensible with strong fish brine. The stuff works quickly and you just don`t need lengthy brining periods for cold smoking (and only half as long for hot smoking). Half-inch fillets only need about half an hour. Fillets an inch thick need about an hour and inch-and-a-half fillets only require about 2 hours brining. (Remember for hot-smoking, these times are cut in half).

Don`t confuse fish brines for much lighter poultry brines. The typical brine for smaller birds is only about 22° SAL. but they are used for a much longer period of time.

Column 1 is SAL degrees (strength).
Column 2 is salt in grams per liter.
Column 3 is salt in pounds per gallon.
Column 4 is salt percent by weight.

10........... 26.4 gr. ..........0.2 lbs. ..........2.6 %
20........... 53.8 gr. ..........0.5 lbs. ..........5.3 %
30............79.2 gr. ..........0.7 lbs. ..........8.0 %
40..........105.6 gr. ..........1.0 lbs. ..........10.5 %
50..........132.0 gr. ..........1.3 lbs. ..........13.2 %
60..........158.4 gr. ..........1.6 lbs. ..........15.9 %
70..........184.8 gr. ..........1.9 lbs. ..........18.5 %
80..........211.2 gr. ..........2.2 lbs. ..........21.1 %
90..........237.6 gr. ..........2.6 lbs. ..........23.8 %
100.........264.0 gr. ..........3.0 lbs. ..........26.4 %

Great Salt Lake "Yoo-Taw Cold Smoked Tuna"

Now pards, it is rumored by certain half-smilin' and truth-stretching local desperados, that huge, seven foot, Great Salt Lake Nocturnal Tuna Fish roam freely about the shore of Antelope Island on warm nights with a full moon shining. Walking upright upon their tail fins about midnight, these critters have been known to audibly replicate and mimic shouting cowboys with drawn-out, bone-chillin`, high-pitched screams of "yoo-taw". Yes, yes... so often does this rare nerve-rattling phenomenon occur, that the Great Salt Lake Tuna has become known as the Yoo-Taw Tuna Fish. And that's not all! It seems there is so much salt in the lake that the fish are no longer able to submerge. In fact, their hides have become so toughened by all that salty saline solution, they're very much in demand as "fish leather"... giving all the bulls and cows out here, fits of jealousy! :shock:

Directions:
Clean fillets are placed in kosher salt four days, covered and refrigerated. Remove them from the salt and soak the fillets four hours in fresh cold water. Change the water then soak the fillets in fresh, refrigerated (38°F. / 3°C.) water mixed with the following ingredients for two hours: (typographical error corrected by Chuckwagon 18:39 on 10.30.11)

Brine Recipe:
1 gallon of water
3 ounces Prague Powder #1
juice of 3 lemons
1 ounce brown sugar
3 ounces uniodized salt
1 ounce crushed black pepper
1 ounce bay leaves

Rinse and drain the fish well and then place them into your smokehouse with the screened air inlet open to help dry them. They must be dry to take on smoke. Remember, the temperature inside the smokehouse must not exceed 80°F. (27°C.). When the fillets have developed a pellicle and are dry to the touch, introduce a trickle of alder smoke, maintaining the temperature of 80°F. (27°C.) inside the smoker. Cold-smoke the fillets at least a week.

Note: Fish-smokin` landlubbers like me should be aware that Scombroid (fish) poisoning is most commonly reported with mackerel, tuna, mahi-mahi, bonito, sardines, anchovies, and related species of fish that were inadequately refrigerated or improperly preserved after being caught. Uncured and mishandled fish can produce toxic histamines. If I remember correctly, scombroid mackerel after only one day (unless it is cured) produces toxic histamines. If you wish to smoke mackerel, yank on my chain anytime and I`ll post more information. If you`d like info on fish (hot) smoking and how to use a brining chart and salinometer, see this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=268#268

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Oct 31, 2011 01:41, edited 3 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 20, 2011 15:57

Last edited by ssorllih on Thu Oct 20, 2011 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu Oct 20, 2011 16:15

awesome - thanks!

Topic Split: See "What does Mozart have to do with meat?" in Hyde Park. 10.30.11@21:27 by Chuckwagon
Last edited by JerBear on Mon Oct 31, 2011 04:28, edited 1 time in total.
Marlon5

Smoking Tuna?

Post by Marlon5 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 19:24

I was eating tuna fish this mid-day and I believe I discovered a range in it! My co-worker said she didn't think tuna seafood had scales! What could it have been and should I sue poultry of the sea??
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 18, 2012 19:46

There is a fair chance that more than one species of fish was processed on that line that day.
Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 03:27

This isn't quite the same, but still a cool product to point out.

http://orceserranohams.com/articles/mojama.htm
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Fri Oct 19, 2012 07:40

I first learned of mojama a couple months back on twitter. Been mulling it over for a while but don't have a drying chamber (yet).
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jun 10, 2013 05:56

Spam (from Pakistan) removed from this forum. 6/9/13 @22:55 CW
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D