Cold Smoked Salmon Brine Time?

Chief

Cold Smoked Salmon Brine Time?

Post by Chief » Sun Mar 08, 2015 18:30

Am hoping folks here can help clarify the guidelines in Marianski's book regarding brine times for cold smoked salmon. In Chapter 26, on page 597, he says to brine salmon fillets for 6-12 hours, depending on the size of the fillet. But on page 584, he says to brine 1-1.5" fillets for 1-2 hours if they will be cold smoked. So does this mean the longer brine times are for fillets that are 3" and up?

Really enjoy the info on this site, and Marianski's book.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 20:53

If you want to cold smoke some salmon (LOX) than follow this recipe here. You will not be disappointed. Marianski's book can not come close to this recipe. I have made this many many times and it turns out perfect every time.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showth ... yle-Salmon
Chief

Post by Chief » Mon Mar 09, 2015 01:24

Devo wrote:If you want to cold smoke some salmon (LOX) than follow this recipe here. You will not be disappointed. Marianski's book can not come close to this recipe. I have made this many many times and it turns out perfect every time.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showth ... yle-Salmon
Interesting, thanks. Seems like a lot of brining, but I will give this a whirl some time.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Mar 09, 2015 15:33

Hello Chief, welcome to the group. I looked at the pages you mentioned in the Marianski book and you are right, it is somewhat contradictory and confusing. The only thing that I can think of is on p. 584 the instructions are for fillets from smaller fish other than salmon and on p. 597 for larger salmon fillets. And an 80 degree brine is pretty darned salty so that's why the 1hr rinse. For the past few years I have been cold smoking sockeye fillets and I prepare them with a 40 degree brine with sugar, garlic rosemary and lemon juice. I brine for 3 to 4 hours and then just rinse.It's a formulation that seems to work well and popular with my friends. But then smoking salmon is so much like barbecuing in that there are thousands of different ways of doing it and so many recipes out there. Living here on the west coast I think I've heard as many as there are salmon in the ocean! :lol: