Salmon Burgers

redzed

Salmon Burgers

Post by redzed » Wed Aug 01, 2018 06:20

Salmon Burgers

I have a good supply of this year's Chinooks and a few Coho in the freezer and have been preparing salmon many different ways. I also have been researching salmon burgers and testing different ways to make a tasty burger. A little while ago I ate a salmon burger at a popular British Columbia chain restaurant that promotes its dishes as seasonal, local and fresh, but was not impressed with texture and the flavour.

In my burgers I have been using only the tails and the bellies. If one has nice thick fillets, the tails are expendable and the bellies have a lot of fat which boosts the flavour and mouthfeel. I am now coming to the conclusion that it is not a good idea to grind the salmon or put it in the food processor. And adding egg and crumbs will result in a rubbery and dry patty. Instead, I finely chop the salmon with a large knife or sharp cleaver, add 12g/kg salt two heaping tablespoons of mayonnaise, seasonings and mix really well. The patties are fragile but will firm up and hold together well after they are cooked. As long as you don't overcook the burger, it will be reasonably crumbly (like all burgers should be) and juicy. There is nothing worse than a rubbery dry tasting burger. I've tried many different herbs in the burgers, so the best thing to do is to add what you have and what you like. This last batch was seasoned with ground black pepper, chives, parsley, coriander and sage. Great summer dish and some even claim that it's healthy! :lol:

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Aug 01, 2018 15:40

That looks pretty darn good. Never heard of making that. Would be terribly expensive here though.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Aug 01, 2018 16:20

Look interesting. What is that sheet you are grilling them on?
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Aug 01, 2018 16:31

Butterbean wrote:That looks pretty darn good. Never heard of making that. Would be terribly expensive here though.
Come on up and we'll eat salmon every day! :lol:
Bob K wrote:Look interesting. What is that sheet you are grilling them on?
https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Home-Non ... B00C1LWE32
Works like a charm and beats tin foil. You still get grill marks and perfect for fish and shrimp.