JBK's "Pierogi Makers" Corner

Rick
Passionate
Passionate

JBK's "Pierogi Makers" Corner

Post by Rick » Fri Jan 17, 2014 19:07

I was wondering if we had any pierogi makers on the forum? The wife and I have made them where we cut the dough out with a glass and fill and seal each one by hand. Time consuming yes, but a labor of love.
Well I was watching a video on YouTube on making pierogi with a pierogi maker. Kind of a round plastic deal where you lay a sheet of dough over it and fill the sunken areas of the dough where it sank into the cavities on the plastic. Once you have your stuffing in, you put on another sheet of dough and roll it with a rolling pin, which cuts the dough against the plastic. Flip it over and push out the pierogi. Well I bit on the pierogi maker and its coming from Poland, so we'll soon see how it works out. Hope as good as the video! LOL
Last edited by Rick on Tue Jan 21, 2014 21:58, edited 2 times in total.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jan 17, 2014 19:42

Hey Rick -
That sounds a lot like making raviolis. I have one of those but it is not large enough for pirogi's .

They are still time consuming but worth the effort.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Fri Jan 17, 2014 19:46

Rick, we bought one from Vancouver, Canada several years ago. The Mrs. loves it and is very happy with it. This past Christmas, they did 300.
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Fri Jan 17, 2014 19:53

Bob and Nuynai,
Here was the video and the site where I purchased my maker from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uUpmVOKeZU

Yes, making pierogi is a assembly line operation for sure.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Fri Jan 17, 2014 19:58

Ours was same design but square. Good eats. Enjoy.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jan 17, 2014 20:53

This was the add at the bottom of the page. http://www.kitchenniche.ca/perogie-maker-p-671.html
Ross- tightwad home cook
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Fri Jan 17, 2014 21:29

Yeah, Ross. That's the one we bought. Guy told me it was more to ship than the cost to purchase it. Thanks.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Jan 17, 2014 23:07

Bob K wrote:Hey Rick -
That sounds a lot like making raviolis. I have one of those but it is not large enough for pirogi's .They are still time consuming but worth the effort.
Hi Bob! I've got the pasta roller for my Kitchenaid stand mixer arriving Monday, thought I could live without the ravioli making attachment, too pricy for what it does. Looking on Amazon there seems to be a ton of ravioli molds to choose from, so far I'm leaning towards this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Regular-Ravioli-M ... press+mold.

Just wondering if you might have a specific recommendation for a rav mold to share. Looking forward to beef-sausage-spinach ravs, also conjuring up a Dungeness crab-jack cheese recipe with Alfredo sauce. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jan 17, 2014 23:35

Ray that is pretty much the same as I have and it works great.

The trick to making the stuff is going to be how well your pasta roller works and trying out different doughs that work for for you. You really have to fine tune a bit and get the feel for it.

This recipe works well http://www.laurenslatest.com/how-to-mak ... -tutorial/

Good Luck!!
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Jan 18, 2014 00:28

Thanks Bob, it's ordered. I've been watching the Kitchenaid pasta roller videos on youtube (no shortage there) and it seems to be dammed near fool-proof. There's a unlimited supply of dough and filling recipes, I'm itching to get going! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Sat Jan 18, 2014 13:46

We do ours the "old fashion" way. We have made thousands and thousands of these. Sold them at work and a friend of ours had pierogi on the menu in his restaurant. Even sold them "over the counter" at his place. For home use the FASTEST way to mix dough is in a food processor. 15 seconds and we had enough dough for 12 pierogi and after the next batch the left overs were spun again in processor with some water added and you had enough for about 8 more. WE NEVER threw out the dough cuttings. You could not tell the difference in dough that was spun and rolled twice if not 3 times. Eggs, water and we use high gluten since we found that it will stretch and not break if we "Load them up." :cool:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x60 ... 5/qtt7.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x60 ... 2/w1q4.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/14/25rg.jpg
Keep them safe until they all come home.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Jan 18, 2014 14:36

I've never made perogi but I've eaten it many times from a deli. I notice in your picture and in most of the youtube pics I saw that the perogi seem to be boiled, whereas whenever I've seen it in a deli it appears to have been fried. Maybe I've never had the real deal! RAY
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Sat Jan 18, 2014 15:13

Yes Ray, We "simmer" the pierogi after my wife stuffs and crimps them. A "boil" will blow them up double in size as it is a noodle dough. We do a 20 minute very light simmer due to the high gluten flour we found needs more time to soften up. I spoon them out and run cold water over them and cool them down. We let them drain and then pack them in plastic one gallon bags. When ready to eat set up a cast iron frying pan with the frying medium of choice, usually butter, and fry until desired likeness for individual. (I'm looking forward to try my bacon fat from my recent bacon project) When we freeze them we place them on cookie sheets and let them freeze solid. If we plan to store them for a while we then put them in food saver bags frozen (we do not let them touch) and vacuum seal. If for a short time, we take the frozen pierogis and put them in a gallon plastic bag and take them out as needed. A "Frost free" freezer will burn them. Did this for over 40 years.
Just on the light side We have 3 sons and when we moved to Florida, NO one knew how to make these (but they eat em up). Well we had the "Last pierogi" making session told the boys this is Ma and I last hurrah's, BRING Cameras . They did even with a couple of their Buds, 5 single guys learning how to make pierogi! LOL They got it down now.
Fred :cool:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jan 18, 2014 17:21

If I understand this correctly the difference between pirogues, raviolis and wontons is in the fillings and the cooking and serving methods. They seem to all start with an egg noodle wrapping and from there the fillings and the method of closing and shaping are governed by tradition. An online search came up with sweet fillings as well as meat fillings in addition to the traditional potato or sauerkraut fillings. A few recipes called for sour cream and eggs in the dough some called for eggs and water. King Arthur flour recommended a refrigerator rest of one hour up to a couple of days.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Sat Jan 18, 2014 17:42

I remember helping my mother making them. We would never, ever, have homemade chicken soup without home made noodles. It all starts with the dough. She mixed by hand, we use a food processor.
I see no difference between ravioli and pierogis. Size, ingredients, and shape as you stated Ross. There are so many variations such as mixing sour cream in the dough. We make a "farmers cheese" filling with chopped onions and some chopped parsley. We make a sauerkraut "cooked" with brown sugar, onions, bacon (crisp) and bacon fat mixed in. We cook it, and chill it in the refrigerator overnight. We found to have very little problems is to have any filling cold.
So many variations just like "Polish sausage" :cool: