Mac and cheese

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Mac and cheese

Post by ssorllih » Mon May 05, 2014 13:03

When ever I make mac and cheese I use up all of the odds and ends of for cheese in the fridge. I buy several kinds of cheese so the results are never exactly the same. Last night it was pepper jack, jarlsburg, and provolone with a couple of thick slices of bacon sausage cut into small chunks. The smoky flavor from the bacon was very pleasing.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 05, 2014 16:56

What else goes into your recipe Ross?
Hey, just a tip for beginners making cheese sauce. Cheese will clump up and get stringy if you just try to melt it. The trick is to heat it slowly and constantly stir it, but add some kind of butterfat to begin with - like a little sour cream or milk. The results are nice and creamy - perfect for macaroni and cheese. (The lipid molecules cling to the proteins to protect them from unraveling.) :roll:
Thanks for posting Ross! Got a photo of your creation?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon May 05, 2014 18:12

That's a stroke of culinary genius! Mac & cheese is pretty much the ideal comfort food, how could a little bacon flavor hurt? I've thrown Monterey jack and a bit of Swiss into the mix before, I like to melt the cheddar in a pot of milk. I've also taken to sprinkling bread crumbs on the top of the batch and letting it do a little oven time, gives a pleasing crunch. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

mac and Cheese

Post by ssorllih » Mon May 05, 2014 20:55

Ray I always make a medium white sauce and melt the grated cheese in that. It was to that mix that I added the bacon sausage I often have added ham. Family tradition calls for corn flakes and paprika on top and oven time until it bubbles. ;-)
Ross- tightwad home cook