Mexican Pancetta? With Grits?

Butterbean

Mexican Pancetta? With Grits?

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jun 08, 2014 00:17

Never been a big fan of pancetta. Always thought it was boring. Pretty enough I'll admit but it just never hit me as something I cared much for but I got the urge to try something different. To correct the oversight of the eye-tallians.

Started with a basic dry cure recipe but after curing and rinsing I dusted it heavily with black pepper then added chipotle pepper blend and paprika. If this tastes anything like it now smells its will be light years ahead of what those eye-tallians think is good.

Last edited by Butterbean on Tue Jun 10, 2014 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sun Jun 08, 2014 06:16

Hey Butterbean - I'm with you on pancetta. It looks great, but there's something missing in the eating if you're used to bacon. Same with the French version - ventreche. Maybe I just haven't made them right - that's a real possibility! I like your idea of Mexican pancetta and am looking forward to hearing about the results. Last time I made a coppa I decided to go a little crazy with the red pepper, and it was much improved. I think you're headed down a good track.

Cheers,
Jeff
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jun 08, 2014 08:09

Verrrrry Nice! Mighty interesting too. Sharpen your knife Butterbean! :lol:
Look out for those Italians! They are full of fennel and coming to get you. :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jun 08, 2014 16:54

I have an Italian friend who is a big Foodie and I give him a hard time. I joke with him about how they take the most bland foods and give them snappy names like they have done something. For instance, southerners call the grits and they call them Polenta. Ain't that a snappy name for grits. Of course he argues that polenta is different. Has more of a mouth feel and bite. I just tell him he's an ignorant Italian and doesn't know what true southern grits taste like. The quick grits in the store are baby grits and are not true grits. No self respecting southerner would call that crap grits. Guess we should call it Polenta so people don't look down on us.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Jun 09, 2014 00:15

...or, you could call it wallpaper paste.

No! Wait! Wallpaper paste is much smoother. ...uh, has much different "mouth feel." (...but whatever happened to taste?)
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.