Pickles!

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jul 30, 2017 15:49

Bob K wrote:Hot dog in a pickle EH - Ran that past the wife and she wants to know what else you have growing in the middle of the cornfield.

I have to agree on the refrigerated type pickles
Think relish on a hotdog.

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Pickles!

Post by StefanS » Mon Jul 31, 2017 00:57

Bob K wrote:Well it getting to be that time of year again! StefanS got me going with his half-sours last year and he was right they don't last long.

Question on making Dill slices: Ferment whole, then slice and can or can they be fermented sliced?
Or is it better to just make an unfermented version.
Hi Bob K. - yess -it is this time of the year - pickles, etc...
so with your question lets make sure we know what we talking about -
dill pickles - cucumbers marinated in vinegar, sugar, salt solution and canned ( temperature, etc)
cucumbers in brine - fermented in salt solution with bacterial development of lactic acid - it is possible but usually we do not process it in canner or hot water bath.
These slicers (pictures from last year) - they all sliced fresh then processed with vinegar/salt/sugar solution and canned.
Not fermented.
BB - it is very nice idea with your hot dog. Can you share recipe from A-Z please - or links to it.
Many times tried Vlasic cucumbers but never crossed recipe. And corndog butter ???? never was thinking about (saw it, try it but not pay attention how to make it). and do you mind if I will show it on polish WD?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Jul 31, 2017 14:17

Thank you Stefan. Any comments on this recipe?

Dill Pickle Slices

INGREDIENTS
● About 3 1/2 tablespoons (50 grams) kosher salt
● 11 cups cold water (nonchlorinated)
● 2 pounds pickling cucumber
● 4 stems fresh dill, preferably with seed heads (may substitute 2 tablespoons dill seed)
● 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seed
● Peppercorns
● 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
● Bay leaves
● 2 cups distilled white vinegar
● 4 cloves garlic, root ends trimmed
Combine half the salt and 8 cups of the water in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Stir well to dissolve. Add the whole cucumbers, and place a plate on top of them to keep them submerged. Brine in a cool spot for 8 hours.

Drain and rinse the cucumbers; dispose of the brine. Remove and dispose of a small slice from both ends of each cucumber. Using a mandoline, or a very sharp knife and a steady hand, slice the cucumbers 1/8-inch thick. Divide the cucumber slices among the four jars. Divide the dill and mustard seed among the jars.

Bring the remaining salt, the remaining 3 cups of water, the vinegar and the garlic cloves to a boil in a 3-quart nonreactive pot over medium-high heat. Pour the hot brine over the cucumber slices, adding one garlic clove to each jar and leaving 1/2 inch of head space. You may have brine left over; dispose of it.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Jul 31, 2017 18:33

Stephan, I have yet to make the pickle corn dog just linked the picture so people could see what I'm talking about. Its on my bucket list to try. I think it would be delicious. We fry pickles and even ice cream, so this is up my alley.

I think these would be simple enough to make. Any wieners or sausages would do the trick but they'd need to be small enough to be inserted in the pickle. Other than coring the pickle properly I think the big thing would be the batter. We have a product called Jiffy - which is a cornmeal mix which is somewhat sweet. Can be used for both cornbread or corn muffins. IMO, this sweet batter is what I think would be best. With that in mind I hunted around and found this link to what I think would yield you this sweet batter.

http://www.food.com/recipe/perfect-corn ... ivity-feed
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Aug 03, 2017 02:06

BB - thank you. Now it is on list to try make pickle corn dog....
Bob K
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 09:17 Post subject:
Thank you Stefan. Any comments on this recipe?
Yes - two things on my mind - missing sugar (it should be in recipe with vinegar)
and if you are using fresh garlic it shouldn't be boiled.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Aug 03, 2017 02:29

Very simple, very hot spicy slices-
Devil's pickle slices.
5 Lb cucumbers
2 heads of garlic
3 Tbs of salt (non ionized)

Marinate solution:
1.5 Lb of sugar
3 cups of white vinegar
1 Tbs of Cajun pepper
6 Tbs of canola or veggie oil

Directions:
slice cucumbers in 1/8" thick slices, add garlic (sliced cloves) and salt. Mix and let stays for 5 hours in refrigerator.
Mix marinate and bring it to boil (no add water). Let it cool down to room temp.
Drain sliced cucumbers, (there will be some liquid) and pour marinate over slices. Let is stay 12 hours in room temp. then pack jars, close lids and they ready (can be kept for 4 months in cool, dark place )
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Aug 03, 2017 16:13

I have never seen oil in a pickle recipe before. Why is oil added?? ...and that's a lot of garlic!!! :shock:
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Aug 04, 2017 00:28

Bob K wrote:I have never seen oil in a pickle recipe before. Why is oil added?? ...and that's a lot of garlic!!! :shock:
There are many recipes, usually "salad" mix of sliced veggies like cucumbers with mix of red, yellow peppers, or similar mixes using a little of oil. Most of them - a tin layer of oil is additional prevention of oxygen penetration , also it is adding some taste ( during process oil is extracting some tastes. And a lot of garlic?? Somebody who prepare that recipe has been a garlic lover ...
trucktramp
Beginner
Beginner

Post by trucktramp » Tue Aug 08, 2017 02:08

Darn it. My sister and I just finished putting up 75 quarts of sliced and 27 pints of Bread and Butter Pickles. If I had seen this before we started I think I would have reserved a few whole pickles for just such a treat. It has everything good. Pickles, hotdogs, Corndog breading and deep fried goodness. It doesn't get any better.
I believe in moderation in everything...including moderation
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Aug 16, 2017 19:56

Have you tried liming pickle slices and then use the low temp pasteurization method to Can them? They really come out crisp!

Fom USDA Ag site:

Variation for firmer pickles: Wash cucumbers. Cut 1/16-inch off blossom end and discard. Cut into 3/16-inch slices. Mix 1 cup pickling lime and 1/2 cup salt to 1 gallon water in a 2- to 3-gallon crock or enamelware container. Avoid inhaling lime dust while mixing the lime-water solution. Soak cucumber slices in lime water for 12 to 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove from lime solution, rinse, and resoak 1 hour in fresh cold water. Repeat the rinsing and soaking steps two more times. Handle carefully, as slices will be brittle. Drain well. With this option, the onions are not limed.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/low_temp_pasteur.html
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Aug 17, 2017 19:59

Bob K wrote:then use the low temp pasteurization method to Can them
- yes - most Dill Pickles, some slices, canned with low temp. method. and IMO - 30 min at 180F is too long - 5-10 min. is enough or to point when cucumbers start to change color.
BTW - preparing my recipes with pictures during actual preps of my Dill Pickles, Cucumbers in Brine, etc.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Aug 17, 2017 21:27

StefanS wrote:- yes - most Dill Pickles, some slices, canned with low temp. method. and IMO - 30 min at 180F is too long - 5-10 min. is enough or to point when cucumbers start to change color.
Are you storing those refrigerated or on a shelf?

Look forward to seeing your recipes and Pictures :!:
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Aug 18, 2017 19:22

My source of cucumbers - in my garden
cucumbers - Crocodiles (hot, spicy, sweet)
3 kg of cucumbers cut alongside in 4,
4 Tbs of salt
Mix together and leave for 6-10 hours
Drain liquid, mix with
2 heads of garlic pealed and sliced, 10 Tbs of olive oil, 2 teaspoon of chilli pepper (I have used 1.5 tspn of Cayenne pepper) and mixed solution of vinegar and sugar (3 cups of vinegar (10%) plus 1 kg of sugar.) Heated to point when sugar dissolve in vinegar.
Leave it for 12 hours. Pack in jars tightly,

Dill Pickles "Kartuskie"
For 5 Liters Marinate
Water - 3.85 liter
salt - 0.15 kg
Sugar - 1.0 kg
Vinegar (10%) - 0.9 liter
- with 5% vinegar
water - 2.95 liter
salt - 0.15 kg
sugar - 1.0 kg
vinegar - 1.8 liter
Mason quart wide mount jars.
Cucumbers tightly packed plus
Sliced Onion - few slices
Red pepper - few slices,
carrot - few slices
All spices 3-4 corns
Black pepper (whole) - 5-8 corns
Bay leaves - 1
Mustard seeds - 1/4 of teaspoon
Dill seeds 1/4 teaspoon
Pasteurization - 10 min at 182F ( i my case - when cucumbers changing color - picture)
Bob K wrote:Are you storing those refrigerated or on a shelf?
here answer -
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Aug 18, 2017 20:52

All look nice Stefan! Growing Cukes on a fence like that sure has many advantages :smile:
You certainly take recycling to a new level, while reusing lids and jars like that is certainly frowned upon by the USDA guides....common sense can certainly make reusing them safe. The Mason jar lids are are also reusable.

May have to give those Hot ones a try!
StefanS wrote:cucumbers - Crocodiles (hot, spicy, sweet)
3 kg of cucumbers cut alongside in 4,
4 Tbs of salt
Mix together and leave for 6-10 hours
Drain liquid, mix with
2 heads of garlic pealed and sliced, 10 Tbs of olive oil, 2 teaspoon of chilli pepper (I have used 1.5 tspn of Cayenne pepper) and mixed solution of vinegar and sugar (3 cups of vinegar (10%) plus 1 kg of sugar.) Heated to point when sugar dissolve in vinegar.
Leave it for 12 hours. Pack in jars tightly,
Do you mean 10% acidity? How much vinegar if 5% acidity?

Thank you for sharing!!!
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sat Aug 19, 2017 16:23

Bob K wrote:Do you mean 10% acidity? How much vinegar if 5% acidity?
yes - 10% acidity. I can't answer how much 5 % acidity vinegar because I'm using in that recipe 10%.
And as you see in that recipe is no water added. BTW you can get 10% acidity vinegar (New Britain, CT, Broad street)