Smoked Sausage as Ingredient

snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Smoked Sausage as Ingredient

Post by snagman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 01:24

From Hungary, a much loved favourite "one plate dinner" is this potato based dish, using your own smoked sausage as one of the ingredients. The more flavour the sausage, the better the dish.
Ingredients;
Potatoes
smoked sausage
eggs
sour cream
salt
oil
breadcrumbs

Waxy potatoes are best - boil in their skin, potatoes to fill your roasting dish, or two/three potatoes per person. Hard boil the eggs - the perfect hard boiled egg is done this way - room temperature eggs are put into cold water, once water boils, turn off the heat and leave in water for 18 minutes, then run cold water over, peel and cool. Slice sausage.

Oil the dish, sides as well. Slice peeled potatoes and cover the base of the dish, slightly overlapping. Salt.

Sausage on top makes the next layer

Then a layer of eggs,

Dot with sour cream,

Continue with alternating layers, making the last a potato, and sprinkle breadcrumbs over, and drizzle some oil.

Into a preheated oven @ 180. If the oven has top and bottom elements, put the dish on the oven floor. We are after crunchy bottom and top layers.

Fifty minutes or so, the caramelised flavours have produced a tempting, flavoursome, simple dinner which is sure to be requested again, and a great showcase for your own sausage.

Buon appetit !

Thanks for looking !
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 01:44

Thanks for the recipe. Just one question is that Celsius or Fahrenheit
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 01:49

Devo wrote:Thanks for the recipe. Just one question is that Celsius or Fahrenheit
Celsius Davo,
Gus
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Dec 11, 2011 02:03

Thanks for the C. I was about to ask. ;)
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Dec 11, 2011 03:01

Snagman,

I have some vacuum packed and frozen Csabaii on hand from my last batch, I'll use that to make the dish next weekend.
Good thing is no one from the family is scheduled to visit next weekend, I'll have it all to myself! :grin:
Ron
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 03:06

Bubba wrote:I have some vacuum packed and frozen Csabaii on hand from my last batch
Bubba, That is THE best sausage for this dish mate ! Hope you like it as much as I do.
Regards, Gus
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 00:53

Gus,
You've done it again. On our menu in 2 days time. Luckily I still have some smoked csabai in the deepfreeze.
About time I make some more.
I am slowly converting my pommie wife to try all these continental dishes.
Regards,
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 07:48

Hey, hey Snaggo!
I couldn`t help but notice that part of your boiled eggs came off with the shell as you peeled it. Allow me to share some info I received from the American Egg Institute. Fresh eggs take up to three weeks to develop a thin layer of air beneath the membrane between the shell and the egg white, making them much easier to peel. The secret of easily peeled "hard-cooked eggs", is to store them at least a week inside your refrigerator before cooking them. The night before you cook eggs, place them on a counter top to return them to room temperature. When they begin to boil, reduce the heat and barely simmer them a few minutes only. Turn the heat completely off and cover the pot eighteen minutes. Place the cooked eggs into ice water and peel away. The shells will detach quickly in large pieces.
By the way, have you ever wondered how top restaurants make their light and fluffy scrambled eggs? The secret is to whip them into froth inside a malt machine before they hit the griddle. You may have to use a blender or hand blender in your own kitchen. If you`re out on the trail, shucks... just drop a hot campfire coal down the back of your mate`s britches, then have them do their best using a fork to beat the eggs inside a bowl while they`re dancing around the campfire! Add black pepper but hold the salt, stirring until they`re light and frothy. Salt makes eggs tough. Add it after they hit the plate.
Try whisking in a bit of cream and try stirring in just a little cheese. Melt a little butter and brush it onto the cooking surface of a black skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Pour the mixture while scrambling it constantly, until the eggs are set and creamy with the melted cheese. Overcooked, the eggs will become tough.
By the way, your recipe looks "egg-cellent"! :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 14:00

Hey CW. At the CIA they teach students to scramble eggs using two chopsticks for light little curds. It took a bit to get used to them that way, but they do come out pretty tasty as long as they don't get overcooked.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Dec 12, 2011 17:49

I have always found that very fresh eggs will have the shell firmly attached to the cooked white. Steaming them may make a difference but I buy my eggs at the supermarket and none of the chickens have names.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Mar 05, 2014 17:39

Hello, and welcome to another installment of "Let's Resurrect a Thread with a Great Title."
Today's installment for "Smoked Sausage as Ingredient" is:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Sausage and Lentils for a Cold Winter's Day . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
This latest blast of cold air and snow flurries prompted me to throw a bag of dried lentils into a pot, wash 'em, "pick" 'em (in case there are any stones from processing them), and cover them with cold water. I brought the pot to a boil, covered it, then turned off the heat.

Two hours or so later, I uncovered the pot, added some water and a chopped rib of celery, a chopped onion or two, a chopped carrot or two, a couple of bay leaves, and one of my recently-smoked bratwurst links, sliced. I then covered the pot, brought it back to a simmer, and cooked it for two or three hours. At this point, hungry, I tasted, added some salt and a little ground black pepper, let it simmer for another ten minutes, and dished up a bowl.

...fine eatin' when there's sleet rattling on the windows. Enjoy!

Note that there are no quantities mentioned, beyond the bare minimum. That's what's great about lentils- - just about any quantity of all sorts of things can be added or left out, as long as you don't add too much. Various veggies work well, or you can leave 'em all out. I occasionally add a little cayenne or various peppers, and a touch of cumin. If you go over... well, the market for solid rocket fuel isn't real great, now that NASA has abdicated in favor of the Russians.

...but that's another thread.

Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 04:20

the market for solid rocket fuel isn't real great, now that NASA has abdicated in favor of the Russians.

Hey Duk! Did you have helium in the oxygen-nitrogen mixture in the air that you breathed in the solar system you came from? :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Mar 06, 2014 15:58

Chuckwagon wrote:Hey Duk! Did you have helium in the oxygen-nitrogen mixture in the air that you breathed in the solar system you came from? :roll:
No, but there ARE certain other gases involved. ...uh, make that Evolved. :oops: Try the lentil recipe anyway. You'll like it. ...especially when it's cold outside.

Warning: as with most legume recipes, there is a certain amount of "greenhouse gas" (methane and mercaptans) given off by consumers. Mexican cooks use a sprig of fresh epazote in the pot to counteract that. It's not 100% effective, but Hey! ...gotta try.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 06:56

there is a certain amount of "greenhouse gas" (methane and mercaptans) given off by consumers.
Geeeeze Duk! In Utah, we politely refer to that as the "earthquake potential".