[USA] Hard Cider Whole Grain Mustard

JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

[USA] Hard Cider Whole Grain Mustard

Post by JerBear » Tue Aug 14, 2012 21:04

After a couple of unsuccessful attempts I wanted to try my hand at mustard again. I did a quick search of the ol' wide web of the world and found a trusted source with what looked to be a solid recipe. Below is my interpretation of whole-grain recipe from Hank over at hunter angler gardener cook

Hard Cider Whole-Grain Mustard

Makes about 1 cup.

Prep Time: 12 hours

6 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
1/2 cup mustard powder (I used Coleman's)
3 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
1/2 cup hard apple cider (homemade by my buddy Mike S.)
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon honey

I took about 2/3 of the mustard seeds and ground them up chunky-like in my mortar and pestle because I feel I have more control over the final grind and can stop when I get to the right grind size. Then I just mixed everything together well with a whisk and tossed it in the fridge to get all happy-like overnight.

Here is the finished product dabbed on some eye-talian sausage, which I'm happy to say is a success. (Not the best pairing but I can deal with it) This stuff is no sissy mustard, it's some seriously high-test clear your nasal passages kinda pungent but in a good way.

I'm going to try another batch in the near future with some hops. I'll also leave more whole mustard seeds and increasing the honey by about 50% give or take.

Last edited by JerBear on Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Aug 14, 2012 21:18

That looks better than good!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 22:49

A real winner Jer!
Good, good, good :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Wed Aug 15, 2012 02:30

Thank you gentlemen. I think one of the hurdles in cooking is finding a stepping off point. Now that I found something that works I can start riffing on it and finding different ways to tweak it.
vstyn

Re: Hard Cider Whole Grain Mustard

Post by vstyn » Thu Nov 15, 2012 03:36

I'll also leave more whole mustard seeds and increasing the honey by about 50% give or take.

Would you less mustar seed or more mustard? Where do you buy black and brown mustrad seeds.
I need to learn dry sausage
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Thu Nov 15, 2012 04:22

I get the mustard seeds at either a middle eastern market or bulk section of my local health food store. I just finished up the first batch and I'm ready to try batch #2. I'll try adding more honey on the next go-round.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 08:46

Jerbear,
You got me really interested, the mustard looks great, I like home made better any day.
Lets know about recipe # 2 with more honey.
I will get my dearest wife interested, at least it will keep her busy and off my back.
Thanks Mate!!!
Regards,
Jan.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Nov 15, 2012 09:07

Being a authentic eye-tal-ee-an I have to say that mustard looks great and I look forward to copying your recipe. Mustard is tricky stuff and not to be taken lightly, as I'm sure you know. I'll finally have reason to use my wife's mortar and pistol! She's had every kitchen gadjet known to man for the last 40 years but seems to have problems when "ingredients" become involved. She made hard-boiled eggs today without starting a house fire, a great moral victory. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 05:39

JerBear

I wiped up a batch of this today and it turned out extremely good. I threw a package of my smoked kielbasa on the gaser for a bit and cut it into 1 inch chunks. Gave it a squirt of the mustard and it made for some great snacks. I did double the honey in it. I've tried a couple of different mustard recipes and never really liked them. I will definitely be making this again.

Thanks for sharing,

Mike