Paprikash chicken, and Chiken paprikash.

Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Paprikash chicken, and Chiken paprikash.

Post by Gulyás » Fri Aug 24, 2012 05:46

Paprikash chicken is what we start, but we might make chicken paprikash out of it. You can use whole chicken, cut it up, thighs, drums, cut the breast to 4 pieces. Or buy it in pieces, anything you like. If you cut it up to small pieces, you'll be done in no time. Ohhh you like gizzards ?,.......... me too. Breast only ?,....... fine. And sometimes I like all dark meat.

Preparation time 15 min....Cooking time 1 hour--------to 1 and 1/2.

Ingredients.

8-10 chicken pieces.
4 tablespoon oil, lard, or use its own fat.
2 medium, or 1 big onion(s).chopped fine.
2-3 cloves garlic.
1 tablespoon paprika..--------(if you like add some hot paprika)
2 green peppers.
1 big, or 2 small tomatoes.
1 tablespoon flour.
Salt.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For chicken paprikash, 3/4,-----to 1 cup of sour cream.(about 200 ml.)
1 tablespoon flour.

Preparation.

Saute onions gently, until transparent, on oil/lard/whatever....Add chicken and brown them, do not let onion burn. Season with paprika and salt. Add peppers and tomatoes cut in wedges, add garlic.(winter time use frozen/caned, or tomato paste.....). Cover and leave to simmer, without adding any water. If tough meat, add some water. If you like mushrooms, slice them, add them 10 minute before done. ( Caned ones just have to warm up). At this time you can thicken the sauce. Mix the flour with a bit of water into smooth paste, add to paprikash.
Serve it with rice, or boiled potatoes, or smashed potatoes, or pasta, or vegetables.....etc.

******** I make mine different. I also add some whole or ground black/white pepper. Also some marjoram. Do not tell anybody, but I use wine instead of water. What did you say your favorite spice is ? Trow it in there.

If chicken paprikash is what you want, then mix 1 tablespoon flower, with sour cream, add to paprikash, just to warm, do not let to curdle.

What is that you'd like even more ? Ohhhh......... Gnocchi....me too.

So......1 egg
200 g (8 oz.) flour.
A little milk, or water.
Dash of salt.

Beat the egg in small bowl, add flour, a pinch of salt, a little milk or water, (if needed), and knead to make a soft dough. No wine here you hear ? Bring a pan of salted water to boil. Scoop the dough onto a chopping board and, with the blunt edge of a knife shred small pieces into the boiling water. When gnocchi rises to the surface remove them with perforated spoon and rinse them in cold water. You may use a little oil, and mix them, so they don't stick together. Serve heaped beside the chicken. Or mix with it.Some people call them dumplings.
********There are better/easier ways to make dumplings.

********German spaetzle are also dumplings.
Last edited by Gulyás on Fri Aug 24, 2012 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 06:05

Terrific recipe! Thanks for sharing it Gulyas.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Aug 24, 2012 06:18

You welcome C.W. :grin:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 24, 2012 14:22

I will make that. Thanks.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Aug 24, 2012 19:11

ssorllih wrote:I will make that. Thanks.
You can make it using pork, or beef too. It'll be similar to stroganoff.
If you don't have peppers, or tomatoes handy, like wintertime, you can use something like picante sauce, or salsa too.