[USA] cheeseburger soup

orf
User
User

[USA] cheeseburger soup

Post by orf » Wed Oct 10, 2012 22:09

I saw the on diners,drive-ins and dives and thought I share it, its delicious. all ingredients are approx. nothing to fancy,its soup!
1/2 cup onions
1 -1 1/2 # burger
2-3 Tbls flour (for roux)
1 1/2 - 2 qts. chicken stock
2 cups velveta cheese sauce(cheese,butter,milk)
cherry tomatos
lettuce
saute' onions ,brown beef,add flour to beef drippings and cook a few minutes(roux),add hot chicken stock,stirring,add cheese sauce. all done. we put ours in a bowl, add halved cherry tomatos and torn up lettuce,top with a few croutons maybe some crispy bacon and enjoy. hope you like it . Its a great weeknight quick supper and the kids really go for it. sounds odd with the lettuce but you'll have to trust me.
Last edited by orf on Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 03:57

Hey orf, that sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. The lettuce doesn't sound odd at all in soup. Thanks for sharing.

Recipes are placed in the MRI on Sunday nights.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Marlon5

Post by Marlon5 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 19:12

I think that cheese burger soup would be very excellent if you put enough dairy products in it, and not too much dairy. I'm sure it probably isn't as excellent as the common hamburger because you won't have the "grill" flavor that you get when cooking a hamburger.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Wed Oct 17, 2012 20:39

Orf, the place that the recipe came from is about 20 minutes from our house. It's called Grover's. It used to be Pres. Grover Cleveland's hunting preserve. Seems simple enough to solve. Grill the burgers over charcoal, chop them up and then add them to the soup. It'd add a slight smoky flavor also.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 17, 2012 21:21

One of the basic skills in cooking is the making of sauce. When you can master that then it opens an enormous chapter in cooking. Gravy is in reality just a sauce. Blend a tablespoon of flour with a tablespoon of fat, cook it until it is bubbly and whisk in a cup of liquid. and cook until it thickens. This will make a thin sauce. If you use stock then you get a pale gravy, if you use milk you get a thin white sauce. if you use two tablespoons of flour and fat and a cup of liquid you get a thicker sauce. If you stir cheese into a white sauce you get a cheese sauce. If you use milk and eggs and sugar you get a custard sauce and if you boil that you ruin it.
Ross- tightwad home cook