Biltong making - for Crusty044

Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Mon Mar 10, 2014 20:29

Hello Jan O,

I should really try to get photos on here, as soon as I'm home (on my way home from Vienna, and gosh, did I buy a splendid salami here! We have nothing like it down under!)
Anyhow, you echo my sentiments... I'm certainly going to try the bags for this purpose.
Jan L
bearspice
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bearspice » Tue Mar 11, 2014 01:33

Hi all, Rob from NSW here. Just a newbie - Jan (Crustyo44) alerted me to this forum, so if any of my jokes make you groan, blame him. :twisted:

I'm glad to see people recommend against the biltong mixes in favour of home-made, as I see that both of the ones listed in the OP are laden with MSG (621). It even appears TWICE in one of the listings.

I get Heart-attack symptom pains (and I know this, cos I've had a triple bypass) and dry cotton-mouth whenever I have MSG or any of the enhancers like hydrolysed protein, so that is why I started making all my charcuterie at home - I can control what goes in it.

Anyway, that's why I'm here, and we LOVE Biltong at home, but have never tried to make it. The only equipment we have here is a hooded BBQ so I will be looking for ways to make Biltong in that. Not to mention smoking stuff (I made some really nice pastrami last week)

Cheer,
Rob.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 09:40

Hi Janlab,
I remember eating some really great salami many years ago on the Austrian border in Simbach am Inn.
Later I was told it was made from donkey meat.
Last year when I was in Tasmania I sampled smoked sausages made with possum and wallaby. It was great too. Only in Tasmania that's possible, all the other states give you a striped suit for quite some time.
What is the name of the salami you bought, my nephew is right into European sausages, cured, smoked and dried. He has books on virtually every regional specialty with recipes.
Cheers Mate,
Jan.