Speaking Of Artichokes...

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri May 24, 2013 17:21

" I'm working on a chicken recipe with artichoke, spinach & bacon"

Boy howdy Kevin, how could that combo not be good? Would you cook the chokes and then scrape the meat from the leaves, using the hearts too? RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri May 24, 2013 17:45

sawhorseray wrote:Boy howdy Kevin, how could that combo not be good? Would you cook the chokes and then scrape the meat from the leaves, using the hearts too? RAY
Details still being worked out on this one, Ray. I'll need to check with R&D to find out the status and final methodology... :wink:
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri May 24, 2013 18:15

I have always wondered how anyone discovered that an artichoke could be eaten. My best guess has been survivors of a fire and searching for anything eatable. I guess a fire roasted artichoke could be peeled open and eaten.
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Fri May 24, 2013 19:07

ssorllih wrote:I have always wondered how anyone discovered that an artichoke could be eaten. My best guess has been survivors of a fire and searching for anything eatable. I guess a fire roasted artichoke could be peeled open and eaten.
Possibly the same guy who saw an oyster, opened it up, looked at the slimey, viscous innards and thought, "Hey, I wonder what this tastes like? :mrgreen:
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Sat May 25, 2013 03:41

ssorllih wrote:I have always wondered how anyone discovered that an artichoke could be eaten. My best guess has been survivors of a fire and searching for anything eatable. I guess a fire roasted artichoke could be peeled open and eaten.
Early artichokes were also nothing like we have today. They were much, much smaller with significantly less edible parts.

-t
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat May 25, 2013 03:49

By their appearance they are no more edible than a pine cone.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Sat May 25, 2013 06:40

"Ever eat a pine tree? Many parts are edible." - Euell Gibbons
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun May 26, 2013 02:10

Artichokes are a delicous thistle, some folks back east and in the mid-west get off on the wrong foot with them not knowing they are supposed to be cooked. Castroville, a short drive from the Monterey Bay fishing grounds, is the artichoke capitol of the world. A year ago I had the leaves scraped and the hearts from two huge chokes all set to incorporate into some kind of sausage recipe when unexpected guests arrived and all my efforts got mixed up with some soft cream cheese and chopped onions for a quick dip, it was wonderful if I say so myself, and I do. Chokes, chopped onion, fresh garlic, spinach and bacon; I'm betting NCK will come up with something out of this world! RAY

Oh, Reno was a bust, lost a bundle, Cabelas was out of stock on my condor bullets. I'll be at a gun shop 40 miles from my house tomorrow at ten to get the last two boxes
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun May 26, 2013 03:17

I like artichokes and I have known people here in the east that grew them. But who could have guessed that they would be good food when they were cooked?
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sun May 26, 2013 04:31

Speaking of artichokes: I grew up in Salinas (a stone's throw from Castroville), so I had my first artichoke at about 4 or 5. Cooked tender, dip the leaves in either butter or mayo. Too young and impatient to get all the way to the heart, so I gave it to my bro or sis after I plowed through many leaves. Our whole family loves them-the jumbo ones can be pricey. Farmer's Markets can be great place to get them cheaper...at least here in Cali. Last weekend at the incredible San Luis Obispo farmer's market (four city blocks long!), my wife & I picked up a dozen beautiful JUMBO artichokes for 79 a piece! :shock:
That's what got me thinking about including them into sausages. I'm going to some smaller taste samples before cranking out tons of links, to see if I can work up a decent-tasting recipe.

Here's a pic showing about 1/4 of SLO's farmers market. Something for everyone, including several BBQ booth and sausage stands. PLUS great produce.
sawhorseray wrote:Oh, Reno was a bust, lost a bundle, Cabelas was out of stock on my condor bullets. I'll be at a gun shop 40 miles from my house tomorrow at ten to get the last two boxes
Ray, I'm headin' up in that direction (Tahoe) next Friday with a planned trip to Cabelas-not sure what I'm getting, but half the fun is trying to spot a bargain...Big Boy's Playground.

Kevin
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun May 26, 2013 17:21

Wow, 79≠ a pop for jumbos, that really brings me back! We always used to love to pull over on the way back home with a boat load of salmon from Monterey and pick up some jumbo chokes for a perfect California dinner. $2 apiece seems to be a fair deal these days.

I couldn't believe Cabelas was out of stock on my hippie condor bullets. I called up the Cabelas center in Nebraska and even they said they were back ordered. I'm leaving right now to get the last two boxes of Weatherby factory non-lead ammo for my 270 to be found on the planet, $78.99 per box of 20. OUCH!!!
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 08:31

Artichokes appeared in my local market - first time in three years. Though they were jumbos, they were also $10 each!

I bought one.....
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Jul 03, 2013 16:19

Of course you'd be needing some Best Foods - Hellman's mayo to go along with that choke! I'd imagine the shipping charges from the states to Malaysia would be considerable to say the least. I just picked up two jumbo chokes for $3, about as good a price as I've seen in awhile. RAY
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 16:43

Oh yes. Best Foods dipping mayo is the only way to go :)