Yellow Wax Bean Soup

Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Yellow Wax Bean Soup

Post by Krakowska » Fri Jul 26, 2013 02:24

Wife remembers a soup made with yellow wax beans, potatoes, (Vinegar) maybe some cream, ( Her mother died when wife was 10 so it is VERY vague) Definitely a Polish recipe. Anyone ever hear of such a soup? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks Guys and Gals,
Fred

Keep them safe until they all come home.
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 02:54

Not really a soup but it could be, My mother would dig a few hills of potatoes when the yellow beans were ready to pick, she would separate the small , quarter sized ( we called them baby taters) and clean and cut up some beans. Add beans and taters to a pot of salted water and boil until the taters are cooked. Drain beans and taters, add a lump of butter and enough milk to cover, add a slurry of flour and milk and cook until thickened. I love this stuff. My mom was a puke IE. Polish father and a Ukranian mother LOL :lol:
Col. Big Guy
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jul 26, 2013 06:06

Last time you asked about that soup you mentioned that it was a Polish Christmas tradition and it was the first time I heard that. But the wax bean soup with potatoes is popular and common in Poland and I believe in Germany. My mother also used to make it when the beans would be in season in our garden. Google "Zupa z fasolki szparagowej z ziemniakami" and you will have a hundred recipies. If you find something interesting I can translate it for you.

This one also has cream in it.

http://przepisynazupy.pl/przepis/zupa-z ... zparagowej
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Fri Jul 26, 2013 13:17

:cool: Gotcha, Will make copies and show my mother can translate for Me. Thank You, Fred
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jul 26, 2013 15:28

Let us know how it turns out. I looked at a few recipes and got hungry. It's been decades since I had that soup. I love yellow wax beans and could eat a mountain of it prepared "a la polonaise", that is, steamed and then garnished with a bit of salt and butter with breadcrumbs.

As we age it seems we all want to eat traditional foods from our younger times.

Smacznego!
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Fri Jul 26, 2013 18:21

Yeah Redzed, things were a lot different in our younger years. I remember going through a pound of yellow bean seeds a season, I think we were planting "Gold Rush" when I lived up in Buffalo. Of course we would plant a couple of rows every two weeks. Pick em, steam em, some tub butter on them. From garden to plate in 45 minutes, It was a meal fit for a king. By the way a pound of yellow bean seeds is A LOT OF PICKING!!! Good stuff coming from the garden. Had pretty good luck with broccoli, 17/17/17 works well with all