smoked eggs <+> Scotch eggs --> smoked Scotch eggs?

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

smoked eggs <+> Scotch eggs --> smoked Scotch eggs?

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 08, 2013 00:27

A recent post by sambal badjak about smoking eggs got me to thinking (which, I must admit, is a dangerous thing). I remember visiting the UK back in the late 70's, and they had something really tasty called a Scotch Egg. It's a hard-boiled egg wrapped in sausage and deep fried.

It occurs to me that
(1) The British are masters at deep frying anything and everything (inventors of the deep fried Mars bar, one of the pillars of civilization as we know it).
(2) Anything involving the primary food pyramid [fried foods, sausage, eggs) has GOT to be tasty.
(3) Why don't we smoke Scotch eggs for added flavor? ...uh, flavoUr. ...and if we smoke 'em, can we avoid the fry step?

Any of our forum folks have a good recipe? Please share.
:mrgreen:
P.S. Sambal, please elaborate on smoking the eggs. It sounds intriguing/tasty.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sun Sep 08, 2013 01:36

Hey E D. Here's a recipe that I came across for eggs. Not Scottish but may want to try it.
Personally, I use at least 3x's the horseradish. The longer they sit, the better they get. Can add more heat with red pepper flakes, etc.

AMISH MUSTARD EGGS

Boil and Peel 12 eggs and put into a heat proof container.

4 Tablespoons yellow mustard
2/3 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup water
2 drops of yellow food coloring

Mix all ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring almost constantly.

Pour sauce over eggs.

Let cool.

Put container in Fridge for 72 hours to let eggs absorb the sauce.
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Sun Sep 08, 2013 09:16

It has been the most simple thing ever!
Whenever I cold smoke something, I just throw some hard boiled eggs in the smoker as well.
Just crack the shell beforehand.
I haven't actually been thinking about doing anything else with it as I have just peeled and eaten them.
I imagine that it would be nice to make them into devilled eggs and scotch eggs would be a great idea as well!
Time for some more experiments!!!!!
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 07:06

Hey Nuynai,
Your Amish Eggs recipe looks incredible! I can't wait to give it a go. Thanks for posting. :wink:

And Sambal, now that you've got your smoker in good working order, you can try 'em and let us know how 'smoked' eggs work out... right? :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D