Mushroom soup

nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Mushroom soup

Post by nuynai » Tue Sep 17, 2013 14:31

Seeing all the pictures of mushrooms being gathered, figured I'd share a recipe that I got long ago and fine tuned, just in case anyone is interested. Enjoy.

Mushroom Soup

2 lbs button mushrooms, sliced

1 lbs shitake mushrooms, sliced

2 large Spanish onions, medium diced

4 large carrots, diced

8 oz butter (2 sticks)

2 tbsp paprika-original calls for 4 tbsps

8 oz flour (1 cup)

6 ozs heavy cream- original calls for 12ozs

1 gallon chicken stock- 5.3 large 48 ozs cans of stock for a double recipe.

original calls for 1 tsp caraway seed, which I don`t use

Salt and pepper to taste

Saute mushrooms in butter for 3 to 4 minutes. Add onions, carrots and cook till tender. Add flour, paprika and cook for 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, stirring constantly till soup has creamy consistency. Add heavy cream once begins to get to low boil and simmer for about a hour. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

DO NOT PUT THE CREAM IN UNTIL YOU`RE COOKING IT. IF THE CREAM GOES IN WITHOUT STOCK GETTING HOT, YOU`LL HAVE COTTAGE CHEESE. It`s ok to leave it once the cream in the soup is brought to cooking temp and slightly boiling for 20 mins.

This is such a hit at our Christmas Eve dinner, I have to use a canning pot for all the take home leftover orders. Seems to get good reviews and freezes well. Hope you guys enjoy it.
Last edited by nuynai on Mon Sep 30, 2013 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 17, 2013 14:44

Good recipe to have. I always just cook a chicken when I want stock.
Ross- tightwad home cook
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue Sep 17, 2013 14:46

Whenever recipe calls for water, be it gumbo, etc., I use stock for another added level of flavor.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 15:07

Nuynai wrote:
just in case anyone is interested. Enjoy.
Interested? Interested? Wow, that looks so darn good I can`t wait to try it. Mmmm.... Like "right now"! Thanks for sharing pal. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 03:45

The soup sounds delicious, I am definitely going to try to make this one real soon! :grin: I have some dried Morels and a few dried Polish Mushrooms that will have to make it into the Ingredient list :wink:

Thanks for Posting
John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 02:32

Hey, hey, Nuynai!
Today's Saturday and I finally made the magic. The soup is out of this world! That much paprika in the recipe is very interesting. I had seconds... then... yup thirds! :roll: Made a little sourdough bread to go with it. Oh man, my tummy needs a wheelbarrow. That is grrrreat soup. Thanks for sharing the recipe pal. What do you call this stuff? :grin:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 29, 2013 02:37

I am going to have to sharpen my calculator and reduce that recipe to something manageable for a party of two with leftovers for the next day.
Ross- tightwad home cook
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sun Sep 29, 2013 13:40

CW, I just call it mushroom soup. It was featured on one of our TV shows from a restaurant but some of the ingredients needed to be fine tuned for my tastes. They called it Hungarian Mushroom soup. Ross, FYI, it freezes well and have had it and given it to friends after several months in the freezer and they loved it. Maybe you can add one of your specialty breads to go with it. Glad you enjoyed it.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 29, 2013 17:58

Chuckwagon wrote:Hey, hey, Nuynai!
Today's Saturday and I finally made the magic. The soup is out of this world! That much paprika in the recipe is very interesting. I had seconds... then... yup thirds! :roll: Made a little sourdough bread to go with it. Oh man, my tummy needs a wheelbarrow. That is grrrreat soup. Thanks for sharing the recipe pal. What do you call this stuff? :grin:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
have you or will you place it in the recipe file?
Ross- tightwad home cook