Krupnik - The National Drink Of Poland

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Krupnik - The National Drink Of Poland

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 19:14

Hi Smoke Sniffers and Wedliny Domowe members...
Our fellow-member Nuynai has graciously offered to post the authentic recipe for Polish "Krupnik" - the national drink of Poland!
Nuynai tells me that in hometown Buffalo, New York, Krupnik is known for it's medicinal benefits! He says, "if you feel a cold coming on, take a little and the cold never seems to kick in". He tells me that there is an alcoholic recipe as well as a non-alcoholic recipe. Thanks in advance, Nuynai. Please go ahead and post the recipe here.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Sep 23, 2013 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 19:49

I certainly like to know about Krupnik, alcoholic or otherwise. Maybe it helps to stop everybody overdosing on prescribed anti-biotics
The alcoholic version certainly must be the most popular.
Jan.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Mon Sep 23, 2013 20:43

Hello everyone. First of all thanks to CW for assisting me in this endeavor. I've tried the Polmos version of the above with less than good results. Here's one that I researched, fine tuned, with good results. Enjoy. You are more able to taste all the ingredients.

Here's the recipe with my fine tuning. Only thing I do different is, use the zest of 3 whole lemons, combine all the ingredients except the vodka. Get it to a slow boil, than simmer for 2 hrs. covered with a lid with aluminum foil between the lid and pot. After 2 hrs., shut off the heat and let it sit for 24 hrs. After that, strain out the larger stuff. Add a good quality vodka, that's not very expensive. Someone said it needs more kick. For that, try Everclear-190 proof-aka pure grain alcohol. Never tried it this way but may do it with this batch. Put the liquid into a large glass bottle, let sit for 30 days for the fine sediment to settle to the bottom. Siphon off the clear liquid without disturbing the sediment. Once you're to the bottom, strain the sediment thru a fine cloth or paper towel.
It's just as easy to make 3 or 4x recipe, as it gets to be a pain doing it over and over every time. For those that don't drink alcohol, don't put it in. A lot of people here in Buffalo, NY swear by it's health benefits. Any questions, let me know.

Krupnik - The Fire Vodka
"This is the perfect drink for a cold winter's day, whether after some strenuous winter sports or simply to cheer you up! I always enjoy making it and make sure to use only the best Vodka and honey. My preference is for a fine Potato Vodka." says Richard.

Ingredients:
1- 1/2 cup honey
2/3 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
8 sticks cinnamon
2 whole cloves
3 strips lemon peel
1 liter bottle of vodka
Last edited by nuynai on Tue Sep 24, 2013 06:48, edited 1 time in total.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Sep 23, 2013 21:07

nuynai wrote:make sure to use only the best Vodka
So, which is the "best" vodka? (wódka)
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Mon Sep 23, 2013 21:20

I use Sobieski, SKY, Polmos, Luksovova, Stoli. Don't know what you have in Vancouver. Again, it all depends what's available in your area and you enjoy. Hope this helps.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 06:55

Geeeeeze! That recipe almost makes me wish I were getting a cold! :shock:
Nuynai, you must be some kind of transcendental academician genius! Thanks for sharing pal!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Sep 24, 2013 08:26

nuynai wrote:I use Sobieski, SKY, Polmos, Luksovova, Stoli. Don't know what you have in Vancouver. Again, it all depends what's available in your area and you enjoy. Hope this helps.
Hmm, what I was looking for was the "best" vodka rather than a list. Just curious what are people's preferences. :lol: Personally I think that Belvedere is the smoothest with a bit od earthy flavour. But I don't buy it too often because here in Canada it's quite pricey. I actually don't drink vodka, I like dark smelly rums from the Caribbean. My wife and many friends drink vodka so we stock Luksusowa (made from potatoes), and lately the Kirkland brand from Costco. It's made in France, apparently by the same distillery as Grey Goose, and I grudgingly admit, even though it's not Polish, it's good quality stuff.

When I lived in Regina there was (and still is) an annual multicultural festival in June and the Krupnik concoction was always a hit, especially with the ladies. The guys drank their vodka the way it was meant to be drunk: inhale, swallow, exhale and smile. smile:

BTW, I don't live in Vancouver. It's a two hour trip by ferry from us and I avoid going there.

CW, if you drink enough vodka you can be anything, even a transexual academician, or whatever you wrote there!
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue Sep 24, 2013 13:51

The 2 you mentioned are way beyond my pay grade and especially to use as a mixer. Plus, they're expensive enough here in NY and I can't imagine what they cost in Canada. The ones I mentioned are good tasting and mid range in price. IMHO, the best is what's in your price range, taste good and can safely afford.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Sep 24, 2013 18:14

I'm with Red, the Kirkland brand from Costco is hard to beat for half the price of Grey Goose. I looked on the bottle and it states it is distilled at a different location than GG, but it's still pretty darned good vodka for the buck.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue Sep 24, 2013 18:17

Were getting our first Costco up here in a few months, so I'll have to try it. Thanks.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Sep 24, 2013 22:02

nuynai wrote:Were getting our first Costco up here in a few months, so I'll have to try it. Thanks.
Just got back from Costco with three 1.75 bottles of the Kirkland vodka, $22.95ea. Great on the rocks with a squeeze of lemon or makes a nice tini, too good for mixers. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Sep 24, 2013 23:51

:wink: :wink:
sawhorseray wrote:Just got back from Costco with three 1.75 bottles of the Kirkland vodka, $22.95ea
*#^*!#!!*^**! It's $49.95 at the Alberta Costco stores. And that is considered to be a good price.

BTW, don't tell anyone, but I distill my own. Use it for making cordials. :wink:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 07:23

Have you guys checked out Stan Marianski's new site called "All About Spirits"? Here's a link:
http://www.allaboutspirits.com/
I've got the book and I'm convinced he makes the best vodka on the planet!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 09:44

Same here Red,
I have been a hobby distiller for the last 46 years and nearly all of it is used for liqueurs.
Most of it I give away to friends, I am only a very small drinker myself.
Cheers,
Jan.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Wed Sep 25, 2013 13:41

Anybody try putting the bottle in the freezer. Leave it in and when you pour it, it comes out like corn syrup. Plus the glass gets frost on the outside and the vodka's taste isn't changed by melted ice.