Pork Rillets a very, very rare treat you will see why

Post by markjass » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:57

Pork Rillets a very, very rare treat you will see why

I large onion with skin on cut in 4
3 garlic cloves skinned
6 peppercorns
Large handful of thyme
1 tablespoon of salt
2 kg pork belly (=in this case1 kg of meat)
1 large carrot
1 large leek
2 stems of celery
2/3 cup of rendered duck fat (only used this because the pork belly had little fat, could use pork back fat, but saving that for sausages and salami)
3 bay leaves
1/2 cup of dry white wine
2 1/2 cups of water

Skin and bone the pork belly. Cut up the ribs and veggies so that they could fit in slow cooker. Rub a 1 tbsp of salt over the pork meat. Put everything in the slow cooker (skin and all).

Put slow cooker on low for 8-12 hours
Lift the meat from its juices.
Strain the liquid into a saucepan (discard the veggies etc, suck the bones clean :lol: )
Reduced the stock by half, to concentrate the flavours, let it cool for a while
When the pork has cooled enough to touch it tear it into shreds with a couple of forks.
Pack tightly into a number of freezer proof plastic containers (if you are posh or going to serve it to guests use china or earthenware bowls).
Pour the reduced liquid in over the pork leave about 1/2 cm of liquid covering the pork (amount not crucial, just make sure the pork is submerged).

Serve with toast and cornichon, or pickles or whatever, or just trough it down. I have used it in sandwiches (removed as much of the fat as possible), as a filling for baked potatoes etc.

I leave the remaining liquid to cool, once set remove the fat and use it however, roast potatoes or chips sing so does roast pork. The remaining stock goes well when making Boston or Santa fee beans or I am sure you can think of things.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Sep 27, 2013 21:51

I am confused as to where this cut of pork come from. In the USA pork bellies extend from the area of the pig between the front legs to the area between the hind legs. The ribs extend about half of that distance. You instruct calls for skinning and boning but including the skin and the bones in the cooking. I am guessing that you are working in the area of the brisket.
Ross- tightwad home cook