New Year's Day Special Omelette - Spanish Chorizo Tortilla

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

New Year's Day Special Omelette - Spanish Chorizo Tortilla

Post by el Ducko » Wed Jan 01, 2014 19:40

I like to start off the new year with a remembrance of some of the pleasurable experiences of the old. This year, Beloved Spouse and I took a trip to Portugal, Morocco, and Spain. We didn`t free-lance it this time, because we didn`t know Morocco at all and we were with friends who are not seasoned travelers. This time, we settled back, used our French and Spanish as much as we could, and enjoyed a leisurely pace.

One of those special times is a leisurely breakfast at a nice hotel. Queue the time machine- - it`s a couple of months ago in Barcelona, we`re up early, it`s raining cats and dogs outside, but we know a special way to get into Gaudi`s Sagrada Familia Cathedral. (Go 1/2 hour early, when the line is short. ...works every time. ...mostly.)

It`s omelet time, but not just an omelet. In Spain, a full-pan four-egg omelet with your choice of additives (potatoes are wonderful) is called a tortilla. Mine, this morning, is chorizo, mild green peppers, chopped onions, and diced fresh tomato. ...not so big a deal, maybe, but as they say on television, "Wait! There`s more!" The chorizo is the real thing, uniquely Spanish, a fermented sausage made from "jamón Iberico," which is a real delicacy. ...acorn-fed hogs, Spanish spicing, cured, delicious.

So this morning, New Year`s Day 2014, I broke out a smuggled chorizo labeled "Chorizo Iberico de Bellota" (acorn), sliced open the plastic bag, carved out a chunk, sliced it thin, then chopped it. I resealed the bag, then tossed the chopped sausage into a frying pan over low heat. Imagine cooking with only the lean part of American bacon to feel the texture. Imagine the tastiest... well, it`s hard to describe how good Iberian ham is. Making chorizo with it is even better. You have to have some to believe it. Add and scramble two eggs. Heaven.

The tour, that day, was great. I had always thought the architect, Gaudi, was a nut case, but the exhibition in the basement revealed an impressive geometry-based thought process. Every different way that we looked at the cathedral presented a new aspect- - there`s a sand castle exterior portico, but inside, it looks like a light-filled forest. This is a sight truly worth visiting.

And while you`re there, be sure and have a wonderful breakfast. Maybe a little prosecco, too...? After all, this will be a vacation to remember.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Wed Jan 01, 2014 20:27

Happy New Year, Ducko....

This was a lovely read. Thank you!

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 01, 2014 23:47

Through the eyes and memories of friends I have traveled to world vicariously. Thank you so very much.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jan 02, 2014 22:48

Thanks for the nice comments, folks. It was a great trip. ...hope you'll share some of your own.
:mrgreen:

Next stop on the "Great Cathedrals of the World" tour: "La Plus Sainte Sanctuaire de Tous les Saints" near the center of downtown Sherrills Ford, North Carolina. This most holy of shrines is unusual in that, although Sherrills Ford does not actually HAVE a downtown area, and given that the area is staunchly Fundamentalist Baptist (with some Primitive Baptist mixed in, just to keep discussion "alive"), the site is remarkable in that this is the actual crossroads where Sherrill herself put her old Ford truck up on cinder blocks in the side yard for all to see. ...uh, witness.

Pilgrims flock to the shrine and to the many NASCAR Racing Team shops in nearby Mooresville each year, especially during Race Week at Charlotte Motor Speedway, just to see the old clunker and light a candle (not too near the gas tank) in hopes that those teams driving Fords will win.

Does it work? Ask a race fan. ...an' watch out whar you toss them fried chicken bones, Bubba.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.