Stuffed peppers are not sausages.
Chicken Cordon Bleu is not a sausage.
Stuffed mushrooms are not sausages
Stuffed cannoli is not sausage
A pita roll is not sausage
Rouladen is not sausage
Stuffed grape leaves are not sausages
A stuffed turkey is not a sausage

Rosie O'Donnel and John Goodman are certainly stuffed, and come close to the definition, but in the end, they too are not sausages.

Do you want more? :lol: :lol:
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Mar 28, 2014 02:11

I stand with Redzed, even though he calls z's zeds, and probably parks his Z in a GAIR-age instead of a garage. These things are forgivable. But! Everything with sausage in it is not itself sausage. Ross's beautiful stuffed potatoes which I wish I could eat right now are stuffed, like so many other stuffed things that Redzed has listed. For sausage to be called Sausage, A Sausage, or Sausages, it has to be either stuffed in a casing, or not stuffed in anything. If it is in a casing, we call it A Sausage, or in plural, Sausages. If it is loose, we called it Country Style Sausage, or just Sausage. If it is in a patty, we put it in a McMuffin.

I think that if Ross were a big food company and sold those stuffed potatoes labeled as Sausages, he would be sued by another big food company, and a reality TV show would be born. I would hate to see that happen to Ross, but that is how we keep prices high, lawyers stuffed, and entertainment entertaining in the United States.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Mar 28, 2014 03:07

Ross stuffed cabbage rolls with... sausage.
He also stuffed bell peppers with... sausage.
I stuffed my mushrooms with... sausage.
RedZed stuffs his erudite writings with references to... sausage.
I vote... YES!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Mar 28, 2014 22:45

I really don't care what they maybe called as long as they get made and served to people that love good food.
I am not going to bore the insides from a carrot and fill it with mince but I may try adding carrot, celery and onion to a sausage mix.
When we stuff liver sausage into cloth bags and cook it we consider the cloth bag to be a casing and it is not even edible. We can convert cow skins to their basic collagen and form the collagen into sheets and tubes. Also manufactured is vegetable collagen used for wrapping minced meat mixtures. Must we draw the line and say that on this side we have sausage and on that side is just plain food? :smile: :wink:
Ross- tightwad home cook
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Mar 29, 2014 02:14

You're right. It's one of those questions that is so impossible to answer that it is fun trying to.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Mar 31, 2014 03:12

I have more fun taking the ideas and formulas and methods that I learn of in the many books about cooking and food and combining them in new and different ways. There is a new fad among the BBQ people that they call smokies. A smoky is a filled meatloaf wrapped in a mat of woven bacon slices and cooked over a smoky fire until it is done (fully cooked) It has some possibilities but I do believe that combining the ingredients into a mince and stuffing a large casing would make a better product.
Part of the problem that I have is a small need for food. Ray is a pretty good sized man and considers an 8 ounce hipshot burger just about right. Nancy and I could both make a meal on one and have leftovers for the next day.
I am working on a plan to combine mushrooms, cabbage and bell pepper in a smoked cooked sausage. I think that I may be able to make a sausage that is a balanced meal in a good whole wheat home made bun. ;-)
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Mar 31, 2014 07:42

A cabbage leaf or potato stuffed with sausage is not a sausage, it's just what's stated, a leaf or tater stuffed with sausage. What if they were stuffed with hamburger helper, or Cheerios, would they then be sausage? No! But there could be a valid case made for HH or Cheerio sausage stuffed into a animal casing. I truly believe that real sausage is meat in tube form, but I fully accept patty form as the real thing also. I love making meatloaf, and I've seen that wrapping them in bacon thing. Sounds goofy to me if for no other reason than the bacon would overpower the flavor of the meatloaf. It's not like when you incorporate some Italian sausage into your meatloaf, as should always be done, there's plenty enough fat to provide flavor. Just my opinion but proper dishes should be a balance of flavors, nothing to excess. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Mar 31, 2014 14:15

When I serve them I always call them what they are; stuffed cabbage, peppers, or mushrooms. Here in Maryland we pile crab meat on top of a fish filet and called it stuffed fish. I suppose that I have been living here long enough to have been influenced by the natives.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Apr 01, 2014 04:10

...could be worse, guys. Have you ever eaten those canned tamales that are wrapped in paper? Nasty! (Mom never really learned how to cook.)(We all left home at an early age. :lol: ) But then, whenever I start to feel sorry for myself during childhood, I remember a picture of at-the-time-President Ford eating a tamal, corn husk and all, during a visit west, and somehow my upbringing doesn't seem so bad.

So, anyway, I was doing fine with this thread until Ross mentioned fish "stuffed" with crab meat. You can't beat Maryland crab-ANYthing, especially crab cakes. ...and stuffed fish. ...and...
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 05:29

stuffed Duck? :twisted: heh, heh, heh.... heh, heh, heh.... :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Apr 01, 2014 07:11

el Ducko wrote: You can't beat Maryland crab-ANYthing, especially crab cakes. ...and stuffed fish. ...and... :mrgreen:
I'm thinking a Pacific ocean Dungeness crab could take a Atlantic crab from Maryland, not to mention how a Alaska king crab would just slap the snot out of one, right before eating it. :lol: RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Apr 01, 2014 14:05

A Maryland soft shell crab sautéed in butter and covered with crab imperial will please any seafood lover anywhere.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Apr 01, 2014 15:11

I figured crab imperial would be some kind of mayo sauce and after looking it up found I was correct, it sounds delicious. My hunting partner and I pulled crab traps for Dungeness by hand for about 30 years on our boats. A few years back we quit because we found them at the local Asian market, live, for $1.99lb. It was no longer worth the truck and boat fuel, launch fees, or shoulder pain to harvest them. I sold my boat because where I now live it was costing me $150 in truck gas just to drive over to the ocean to find it was too rough to go out. Right after I sold my boat two years ago the price of live Dungeness immediately went up a buck to $2.99lb, still not too bad. Now the going rate at the Asian markets seems to be fixed at $8.99lb and neither my friend or I buy the stuff anymore, just too expensive. Had I kept my boat I most likely would have invested in a pot hauler, we used to have so much crab we'd give it away to family and friends to avoid having to clean it. Now I miss my boat, but I just didn't get enough use from it to be worth holding on to. RAY

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Apr 01, 2014 15:15

ssorllih wrote:A Maryland soft shell crab sautéed in butter and covered with crab imperial will please any seafood lover anywhere.
...not to mention justifiably famous Maryland crab cakes, which are actually crab sausages minus the casing.
(Heh heh... Here we go again! WooHoo! WooHoo!)
Last edited by el Ducko on Tue Apr 01, 2014 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Apr 01, 2014 15:16

But never, ever on the pain of a slow death grind crab meat.
Ross- tightwad home cook