The WD "Mustard Grotto"

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

The WD "Mustard Grotto"

Post by Devo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 14:07

The WD "Mustard Grotto" [

Let`s face it! We`re all NUTS about mustard. We cut a slice from a remarkably tasty sausage and we still crave that little hint of mustard. What's wrong with us? Why do we search frantically through the fridge to find that bottle of special mustard we made last week, just to put a dab on our sausage? Yup, there IS something wrong with us... we`re all NUTS about mustard. And we`re getting quite a collection of recipes. Post `em here folks and share your favorite mustard recipes with your fellow members.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
:wink:
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Devo wrote:
Since the last time this was posted and deleted people have been asking for for it to be brought back. With some members going on about copy write stuff and the arguments being started I will not re-post it even if one of the Mods asked if I would. So if your looking for the recipe and article you can find it here.

Code: Select all

http://honest-food.net/2010/10/18/how-to-make-mustard/
Last edited by Devo on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:12, edited 5 times in total.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Dec 10, 2011 14:11

After I read that last article I decided I wanted to make mustard. The night I was ready I found the post deleted and went from memory. Who would have thought that homemade mustard would be SOOO much better than store bought.

Thanks for the re-post.
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 16:17

There is a very cool mustard found in Chef Polcyn's charcuterie book: Tart Cherry Mustard. It is a bit different than the last post in that it contains egg yolks and the richness they provide gives a nice balance to the acidity. The sweetness of the cherries really helps round things out.

Anyways, the technique is a little tricky but if you have made a sabayon or even hollandaise, you won't have any problem.

And if you haven't, and want to try it out, just let me know and I'll help you with tips.

2 T Coleman's dry mustard
3 ea large egg yolks
1/2 C cherry juice or cranberry juice
3 T white wine vinegar
1/4 t salt
1/2 T Worcestershire
2 T light brown sugar
pinch of cayenne pepper
3 T dried cherries, finely chopped

YIELD: 1 C

1. Combine all ingredients except cherries in metal bowl over double boiler. Whisk mixture continuously but gently until ribbons form. Ribbons are when you lift the whisk from the bowl and the mixture trails down in a semi-thick constant stream.

2. Remove from heat and add cherries.

Note: It is VERY important not too whisk too hard because you will incorporate too much air into the mustard and it will have bubbles even after it has cooled. It will still taste fine though.

P.S. there is also a caraway beer mustard that is a must. It is awesome.
Last edited by story28 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Tue Jan 29, 2013 03:52

Looks great Don! When I make pulled pork I make some Roxy's mustard sauce. Its awesome on pulled pork.

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.
Last edited by atcNick on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Mustard Caviar

Post by unclebuck » Sun Feb 02, 2014 16:41

A rather unusual & unique recipe. My Mother used to make something like this 50 some years ago on the farm in Saskachewan where my father grew the mustard.

Mustard Caviar

Ingredients:

●1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
●1/4 cup brown mustard seeds
●1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
●1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
●1/4 cup sugar
●1/2 tablespoon kosher salt

Preparation

In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 cup brown mustard seeds, 1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt, and 3/4 cup water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often and adding water by tablespoonfuls if mixture is too dry, until mustard seeds are still firm and intact but pop like caviar when bitten into, 45-50 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and let mustard mixture cool completely. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate. Keep chilled in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

Great as a condiment, particularly paired with smoked salmon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Adirondack Mustard

Post by nuynai » Sun Feb 02, 2014 20:46

Adirondack Mustard
Here's a recipe for something a guy brought along while hunting in The Adirondack's of NYS.

Equal parts by volume of mustard- your choice- vinegar, honey and red pepper flakes. Let the mix sit for at least one month, stirring occasional. Got reviews from, are you nuts, to pretty tasty. Up to your heat tolerance. The longer it sits, the hotter it gets. You can tone it down by adding or reducing ingredients to your taste. Enjoy.
Last edited by nuynai on Wed Feb 05, 2014 06:35, edited 1 time in total.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 20:48

Unclebuck,
Thanks for posting this great family recipe. I will be making it this week.
With your advise I made proper slightly sour farm butter awhile back. It's superb.
Thank you again,
Jan.
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Mon Feb 03, 2014 00:16

Trust me Jan, it is a real treat. It beats capers all to hell. I still get the raw seeds from a buyer in Saskatchewan, 5lb bags of each(when I need them) for the price of our father's having been poker buddies!!!! Can't beat it with a stick. Mustard made from seed, and depending on the pungency, yellow(mildest), brown(mid), or oriental(most pungent) is one of our family gifts to friends when it nears Christmas. Loved by everyone who gets to share.
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Whiskey-Coffee Mustard

Post by HamnCheese » Mon Feb 03, 2014 16:27

Thank you Uncle Buck! This was a timely posting for me. My brother recently gifted me all sorts of whole and crushed mustards and I'll be trying your recipe this week.

I happened to see a cooking show from this web site and while I was looking around came across a recipe for whiskey coffee mustard:
http://www.newscancook.com/recipes-by-c ... nd-coffee/

I didn't have the dark mustard called for, so added 1/3 cup crushed brown mustard seed that I soaked in water for several hours, used maple syrup as the dark syrup and rye whiskey. After 'ripening' for four days, this was a real winner!
(Luckily, my brother had cautioned me that mustard will get bitter and then calm down after ripening. Otherwise, I might have tossed it prematurely.)

Ingredients
1 bag dark mustard seeds (approx. 1.23 oz or 35 g)
5 tablespoons strong, warm coffee
1/3 cup dark mustard
2 tablespoons dark syrup
2 tablespoons whiskey
1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Lynn
Last edited by HamnCheese on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:47, edited 2 times in total.
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Whole Grain Dijon Mustard

Post by unclebuck » Mon Feb 03, 2014 16:50

Another recipe similar to my mother's homemade mustards!!!

Whole Grain Dijon Mustard

Ingredients

1/4 cup brown mustard seeds
1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon light brown sugar (optional)

Procedures:

Place mustard seeds, wine, and vinegar in a small bowl or container, cover, and let soak at room temperature for two days.

Transfer mustard seeds and liquid to jar of a blender. Add in salt and sugar(if using) and puree until mustard paste forms, but whole seeds still remain. Transfer to an airtight container and let rest in refrigerator for 2 days before use.

Yields about 1 cup
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Feb 03, 2014 16:51

I mix mustard sometimes with syrup made by boiling apple cider down to a molasses concentration. A gallon makes about 12 ounces of syrup.
Ross- tightwad home cook
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Cognac Mustard

Post by unclebuck » Mon Feb 03, 2014 17:08

Try this one for size. We have found it be excellent!!!!

Cognac Mustard

Ingredients

6 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
2 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
3 tablespoons cognac
2/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Preparation
1. Put mustard seeds, 1/3 cup water, cognac, and vinegar in a bowl and stir to completely submerge seeds. Cover and let sit at room temperature 2 to 3 days.

2. Whirl mustard mixture in a blender with brown sugar and salt until smooth.
Make ahead: 2 weeks, covered and chilled.

You are only limited by your imigination when it comes to making flavored mustards. All you need are mustard seeds or dry mustard powder, with any additional seasonings up to you. We do not use dry mustard, as we have good access to unlimited amounts of raw seed.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Feb 04, 2014 04:30

Uncle B, that looks real good. I was just thinking I wanted to make some mustard, and this recipe is it. I have to go get some brown mustard seeds. I hope Mr. Wagon will put it in the Members' Recipe Index for easy access hint hint.

Jeff
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

The WD "Mustard Grotto"

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:04

What Makes It Hot? :razz:
Mustard often has a sharp, pungent flavor, as mixing the ground seed with cold liquid allows the enzyme myrosinase to act on glucosinolates to make isothiocyanates, responsible for mustard's characteristic heat. The isothiocyanates, such as allyl isothiocyanate, activate the TRPA1 channel, a chemosensor. Mustard, in its powdered form, lacks any potency and needs to be fixed; it is the production of allyl isothiocyanate from the reaction of myrosinase and sinigrin during soaking that causes mustard`s characteristic heat to emerge. Mixing the ground seed with cold liquid allows the enzymes myrosinase and sinigrin to react with glucosinolate. The result is the formation of allyl isothiocyanate - the hot stuff!

[USA] "Cowboy`s Hot Dog Mustard"
(Rodeo & Circus StyleMustard)

3 tblspns. vegetable oil
1 large onion (chopped)
1 large green pepper (chopped)
2 cloves garlic(minced)
1/2 tspn. celery seeds
1/4 cup dijon mustard

Using a large skillet, sauté the onion and green pepper over medium-low heat, stirring them often, until the vegetables are softened. Add the garlic and celery seeds and continue to cook until they release their flavors. Garlic burns easily so cook it quickly over lower heat. Finally, stir in the mustard and blend the flavors. The mustard sauce may be used immediately or covered, cooled, and refrigerated.

"Shotgun Sanford`s .12 Gauge Mustard"
(Mustard Dressing For Pastrami)

1/2 cup Coleman`s dry mustard powder
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 tspn. pulverized red pepper flakes
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tspn. prepared horseradish
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tspn. salt (un-iodized flaked)
1-1/3 cup mayonnaise
*water

Heat the flour in the bottom of a Dutch oven, until it start to turn golden brown. Remove the utensil from the heat and add the remaining ingredients except the mayonnaise. Stir the mixture to blend it. If more moisture is needed, add cold water as you continue stirring. Replace the Dutch oven over the heat and simmer the mixture while continuing to stir. When the mustard begins to thicken from the heat, remove it and allow it to cool for a few hours. Finally add the mayonnaise and stir it until blended. Store the mustard dressing in a glass container for a week before using it on pastrami.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D