Gumbo

Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Gumbo

Post by Krakowska » Fri Sep 19, 2014 18:12

Anyone have a decent recipe for gumbo? Willing to bet this is the forum that can help me out. Never made it before but always wanted to do it. Help please. Thanks, Fred
Keep them safe until they all come home.
Darwin
User
User

Post by Darwin » Fri Sep 19, 2014 20:19

I generally don't use recipes, so I can't give you one that I have tested. Here is one that looks right and is from a good site. http://www.nolacuisine.com/2006/02/20/c ... bo-recipe/
The darker the roux the more flavor it will have, but a dark roux will thicken less than a lighter colored one. Good stock is important for flavor, if you don't have a home made one use a low sodium box instead of water. I would brown the chicken and use the fat to make the roux instead of baking it but that is me. I would also not add the sausage until the last half hour or so, I hate over cooked foods!

hope that helps a bit
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Sep 19, 2014 21:09

If you're making shrimp gumbo, buy head-on shrimp and make your stock with the heads and shells. You'll be glad you did. You can find them at Asian stores.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Fri Sep 19, 2014 21:12

Thanks, Much Appreciated :cool: Fred
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 21:33

Fred, I've sent you a pm to another thread on another forums I've posted my mother's gumbo that she's been making for 20 years or so. Being from New Orleans, this is a dish close to my heart so. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Last edited by rgauthier20420 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Sep 19, 2014 21:37

Hi Fred,

I used to read here, they have some good ideas.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/145641/gumbo-basics
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Sep 19, 2014 22:34

Don't get hung up on a recipe. Just use what you have on hand and toss it in the pot keeping in mind the time it takes to cook each ingredient and you won't go wrong.

Make your roux the way you want it then start adding stuff with the aforementioned in mind. If you are not using okra you need to add some file just before its finished cooking to thicken properly. Doesn't take much.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Fri Sep 19, 2014 23:20

This is a great site and it never fails me or anyone. Thanks again fellas, Very much appreciated. Fred :grin:
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Sep 20, 2014 13:55

The best recipes for gumbo start with "First, you make a roux."

I've used the recipe in Paul Prudehomme's first cookbook for years, although I vary what's in it quite a bit. One time at a beach rental, we had an extra ingredient: if you cook with a high smoke point oil, it's possible to melt the plastic spoon into the roux, where it dissolves while cooking. ...not recommended for most batches, but you must realize that the Chinese have been adding melamine to foods for years to boost the apparent protein content. (Eeeewwwww!) ...until they were caught, recently.

"Okra is a must. Sausage is a must. Else-wise, it's a bust." (old saying that I just made up.)
Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sat Sep 20, 2014 16:12

Yes Duk, I agree. The reason I like to cook on open fire is, that it gets 2 extra ingredients.........
Smoke and ash. :mrgreen:

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 21, 2014 03:26

Hmmm.... I don't see any of the "Cajun Holy Trinity," onion + bell pepper + celery. ...and that orange color in the roux, is that...PAPRIKA???
Yikes! :shock:

As they say on the banks of Bayou Bartholomew, where I grew up, "You ain't from around heah, are yuh, Boy?" (...more of a statement than a question.)
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Darwin
User
User

Post by Darwin » Sun Sep 21, 2014 03:41

el Ducko wrote:
As they say on the banks of Bayou Bartholomew, where I grew up, "You ain't from around heah, are yuh, Boy?" (...more of a statement than a question.)
Up north of Monroe near Bastrop?
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 21, 2014 14:15

Southeast Arkansas, west of Dermott. ...the fabulous "Tri-Cities" area (Dermott, Wilmot, and McGehee) nearby.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sun Sep 21, 2014 19:31

Hey Duk, I mean Doc.

I was cooking Hungarian cattle goulash, just mentioned that sometimes I get more in than I put in.

And this is the recipe for that. I mean one in the millions. So it's NOT gumbo, or a different one of them. :mrgreen:

Cooking= Take four cans of anything, dump it in a bowl, and mix it twice from left to right. :mrgreen:

http://www.chew.hu/the_idiot_foreigners_guide_to/

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Winston Churchill

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... BSmhT4A.99

Just make sure you clean the meat good.....
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:31

Never made or tasted gumbo. Traditionally does Gumbo always contain shell fish? If so I would have to adapt it as I have a major gout reaction to shell fish. And it is only to shell fish.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime