Gumbo

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Sep 29, 2014 16:04

Cajun is what we ate this weekend using some smoked pepper sausage along with some tasso I finished smoking and let rest for a night.

Tasso out of the smoker

Sliced after resting in cooler for a night.

Diced up and used to season spinach with garlic.

Then tasso was used a base for some jambalaya with pepper sausage and stuff from the garden. No seasonings were added to this whatsoever and everything tasted perfect.

rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 16:07

That tasso looks great. Care to share a recipe? I'm definitely wanted to give this a go!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Sep 29, 2014 16:40

I used Chuckwagon's recipe.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=22766#22766

I didn't cold smoke it though. After curing I rinsed the meat (the coppa cut from a boston butt) and hung to dry. When it was dry I rubbed the seasoning on it heavily then netted it and put in the smoker with heavy smoke till the internal temp was 152F then pulled it and let it rest.

Chuckwagon outdid himself with this recipe. Flavors are superb and will lend wonderful flavors to the dish. Haven't done it yet but I think you could make some wonderful rue if you used the tasso as a base for the flour to go in. Am thinking it would be a red roux but haven't done it yet but I know it would be delicious.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 16:44

I am going to have to do this this week then. At a restaurant in New Orleans, they do a shrimp and tasso pasta dish that has a cream sauce. It's absolutely amazing and I would get it every time I went. That's what I'd like to have this ingredient for. It would for sure be great in a nice dark roux though.

I'm seeing this "Tumbleweed" seasoning. Never heard of it and I'd rather do a combination of my own. Any idea on what's in it?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Sep 29, 2014 16:55

You mean the Cajun Pork Seasoning. I forgot about that. I haven't a clue what's in it, I just made my own Cajun spice mix and used that. Sortof like a spicy butt rub mix.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 16:56

Yeah that was what I was referencing. I'm more than happy making something myself. The spice cabinet is full thanks to this wonderful hobby.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Sep 29, 2014 16:57

Oh, if you make some you gotta try the greens. Just sauté some onions and garlic in a heavy skillet with the diced tasso then add greens on top and stir till they steam down. Only thing I think would make it better is some white sauce drizzled on top.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:15

I am not sue if yumbo is a better description than Gumbo (sorry about the awful pun). Here are a few pictures of the creation of my gumbo. It may not be traditional, but it tastes great. The holy trinity of onion, cellery and casicum (red as they were on speical) plus carrot is in the mix. I coated the chicken in a homemade mix before browning it. The gumbo was cooked for about an hour after the chicken was added.

I also poached the sausages as I need to do some work on getting a windshield sorted for my gas burner which supplies the heat. It works well at medium to high temperatures, but keeps blowing out at lower temperatures.

The Mix

The Coil

Drying

Smoking. It is the first sausage that I have burst for a while

Poached Some of the sausages

Starting of the roux

Roux after 25 mins

Browning the Chicken. All I need is the rice

Tasso is on my future list of things to try.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 14:14

Everything looks really great! Wish I had a few bowls of that for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
donricoru

Post by donricoru » Wed Feb 25, 2015 13:53

markjass, markjass,
markjass wrote:he holy trinity of onion, cellery and casicum (red as they were on speical) plus carrot is in the mix. I coated the chicken in a homemade mix before browning it. The gumbo was cooked for about an hour after the chicken was added.

I also poached the sausages as I need to do some work on getting a windshield sorted for my gas burner which supplies the heat. It works well at medium to high temperatures, but keeps blowing out at lower temperatures.

The Mix
Can you give a recipe? Or can you explain more about the mix?