Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Post by DLFL » Wed Feb 04, 2015 22:14

This sandwich was served to me in Edina, mo. while on a turkey hunting trip.

As one who loves to cook and eat it just goes that I would have a keen interest in a favorite sandwich of my youth, the "Breaded Pork Tenderloin". The breaded meat is one with a German background, the Vienna Schnitzel. The schnitzel is made with veal, but the pork loin is an acceptable replacement in Germany. It is served in many ways with different toppings. A common thread in its service is having a wedge of lemon served on the side to be squeezed over the schnitzel. The acidic addition is wonderful with it.

I believe that where the breaded tenderloin preparation by some uses buttermilk it adds a bit of acid reminiscence of the lemon addition to the schnitzel. In the same way that mustard and pickle also adds an acidic tone to the breaded tenderloin sandwich.

In any case if you have not experienced this sandwich it is well worth the time to make them for yourself. I use a piece of boneless pork loin cut about 3/4 of an inch thick. Trim off the fat cap and pound to about 3/8ths of an inch. Season the meat with salt and garlic powder, dredge in seasoned flour, dip in egg wash, and coat with a mixture of 1 part butter flavored cracker and 3 part saltine cracker meal mixture. Press the breading into the meat, It will spread and become as wide as you want it to. I like to let it stand to give time for the batter dry for a few minutes then fry in oil until golden brown. Serve with your choice of mayo, mustard, pickles, onion, lettuce and tomato.
Dick

Never quit learning!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Feb 05, 2015 04:48

Wowzer, that is one big sandwich.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Feb 05, 2015 07:35

Geez, I don't think I have a frying pan to do one that big! Does look good though! And now you've given me an appetite for schnitzel, have't had one for a while. I always liked one with mashed potatoes, a sauerkraut salad and a nice beer.

BTW Dick, haven't heard from you for a while. I hope you haven't given up on making sausage?