Fattie - For StefanS

Butterbean

Fattie - For StefanS

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 01, 2016 18:31

Didn't know where to post this but after StefanS's post about the stuffed beef rolls I thought I'd share a somewhat similar recipe we make here called a Fattie. There is no strict rules on how to make one other than you just take some sausage mince and make a sheet with it and roll up all sorts of things inside this then wrap with bacon, dust with a brown sugar based seasoning and smoke the meat. It is very good and as the name implies - very fattening.

Some of the ingredients. Raw egg, cheese and bacon was also added.

On cling wrap, roll out the sausage meat to form a rectangle. Lay ingredients on this then roll into a loaf.

Basket weave bacon around the roll then dust with a brown sugar based seasoning mix then hot smoke till done.

Once cooked slice and enjoy.

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Apr 01, 2016 18:40

That looks GOOD!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 01, 2016 20:08

They are really good just maybe not the most healthy food. I don't eat them much. Usually make one when we smoke a whole hog and this is reserved for the people who help with the smoke. The one slice is basically a meal in itself and that one loaf will feed a lot of people.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Fri Apr 01, 2016 21:38

The ole' fatty! So easy and SO delicious!

Made a ton of those in my days! The cool thing about the fatty is that ther are so versatile. You can stuff them with whatever you like, and the recipes are endless!

I have made quite a few different fatties, like:

chorizo, cheese and jalapeño
Cheesesteak onions and peppers
Pepperoni & cheese
Lamb gyro
Breakfast fatties
Cordon blu
Etc
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Fri Apr 01, 2016 21:39

The ole' fatty! So easy and SO delicious!

Made a ton of those in my days! The cool thing about the fatty is that ther are so versatile. You can stuff them with whatever you like, and the recipes are endless!

I have made quite a few different fatties, like:

chorizo, cheese and jalapeño
Cheesesteak onions and peppers
Pepperoni & cheese
Lamb gyro
Breakfast fatties
Cordon blu
Etc
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Apr 01, 2016 22:21

Thank you very much BB. It looks really nice and taste will be outstanding. I have to try it with stuffing that you suggest. Very interesting is that basket weave bacon.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 01, 2016 23:17

Yes I basket weaved it. The trick to making these things is using the plastic wrap. I lay the meat on that and it helps to roll it properly and then I basket weave the bacon on another piece and use it to help roll the bacon around the meat log. This makes it much simpler. Toughest part is estimating the circumference of the meat log in relation to the bacon length.

As per ingredients, just anything you have on hand works great. I sometimes put eggs in it and then they will be scrambled eggs inside it with the other things. Lots of cheese. Onion, mushrooms, peppers, prosciutto, ham just anything really.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Apr 02, 2016 01:45

And I have to admit that I have never made or tasted a fatty. ImageBut it is something that is definitely up my alley.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Apr 02, 2016 02:01

They are good. One fella told me it was the best thing he'd ever tasted in his life but really how can you go wrong when you combine and array of pork products together and smother with bacon. Just really no way to lose apart from congestive heart failure. lol
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Sat Apr 02, 2016 02:37

And smoking them brings out the sausage SO well! One of my favorite smoked bbq items is the fatty. Nice job BB!