Basturma - Caucasus region

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Basturma - Caucasus region

Post by StefanS » Sun Jun 26, 2016 17:07

Hi. Inspired by Polish version of WD, I have made Basturma - one of favorite dried beef in Caucasus region. Inspired by topic posted by Andy : http://wedlinydomowe.pl/forum/topic/946 ... a-by-andy/, also - some of my colleagues are from that region so I have had recipe from them also.
1 kg of aye of round roast.
150g of salt
300 g ground fenugreek
100 g red pepper (I have used 50/50 Hungarian and 50K hot pepper)
25 g ground black pepper
5 g ground garlic
water to dissolve spices to paste consistency.
Process :
in stainless steel bowl I have put salt over meat and placed it in refrigerator for 12 days. Every day turning meat over plus draining meat juice from bowl. (some recipes calling for pressing meat during that time- I didn't)
After that time I have prepared a mix of spices.
meat has been washed and dried with paper towel. Then that piece has been covered completely with spices paste up to 3/8" thick layer. After that meat is ready to be hang in room temp with some ventilation - in my case I used garage. I kept it until a spices mix dried almost completely - 18 days
It should be cut in thin almost visible thru slices. It is salty and spicy hot but ideal to use with slice of bread covered with butter or with glass of beer.
Last edited by StefanS on Sun Jun 26, 2016 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Jun 26, 2016 19:07

Wow Stephan, that looks excellent! Very traditional method.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jun 26, 2016 19:56

That looks terrific. I do something similar with venison only I use 1/3 the salt and mix this with the spices and apply to the meat prior to curing.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jun 29, 2016 03:57

Very nice Stephan! I read that thread on the Polish site and promised myself to make s basturma a long time ago. Next time I see a good deal on an eye of round, I will have to try it. What was the temperature in your garage during the drying period? Ahow did you manage to keep the spice paste from falling off?
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Thu Jun 30, 2016 00:26

Hi Chris. You have to try make that Basturma. Answering you questions -
Temp. in garage - 12 to 18 *C / 52 to 68 F, that paste should stick to meat, it is very sticky.