Summer in jars

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Summer in jars

Post by StefanS » Mon Aug 29, 2016 02:02

During summer time my garden (like yours) is full of produce so after sharing with you some Polish recipes about cucumbers, upcoming season for cabbage, then today I would like to share with you recipes about tomatoes and peppers. There are not any pictures today, my camera was playing cat and mouse with me, so I will post them later. Garden is full of tomatoes, is full of pepper, onions, so lets make some "Summer in jars".
Bologna sauce by ANUS ( http://wedlinydomowe.pl/forum/topic/940 ... rnia-anuś/ here is hers whole topic - can you imagine that somebody here can make that kind of preserving food?)
3kg of tomatoes (Roma)
1.5 kg peppers (mixt color) (cutted in small pieces)
3 onions middle size(chopped)
4 carrots (Shredded)
1 celery knob(shredded)
3 oz. of apple cider vinegar
4 Tbs of sugar
4 tsp of basil
3 tsp of oregano
3tbls of brown mustard
1 tsp of cayenne pepper
2 table spoon of paprika
2 tea spoon canning salt
I'm using my http://www.sausagemaker.com/3-Tomato-St ... 4-3012.htm to make sauce plus it very easy.
On skilled pan (olive oil) I' have cooking a onion, carrots, celery knob until a onion is transponder/clear. then in bigger pot I have them around 45 min on simmering heat. At this moment after using a Blender I'm mixing it to consistency of cream, then adding remain spices let it simmer for about 10min. Let it stay for 12 hours. Next day use your pasteurization method to preserve jars for winter
Last edited by StefanS on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Tue Aug 30, 2016 20:02

Today I would like to share with you recipe posted by Gonzo :
Sweet and sour tomato sauce
3 kg tomatoes
1 kg onions
3 red bell peppers
2 cans of chunk pineapple
2 cans of golden corn
2 cans of bamboo shoots
1/2 Tbsp. of cayenne pepper
1/2 Tbsp. ground garlic
1 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard
2 Tbsp. sweet ground paprika
1 Tbsp. curry
1 Tbsp. black ground pepper
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups sugar
2-3 shredded carrots
2 Tbsp. potato starch
Tomatoes by strainer + chopped onions + chopped pepper +salt - simmer 1 hour.
After that add other ingredients except pineapple juice and potato starch, simmer it in 1 hour.
Mix starch in pineapple starch and add to simmering sauce. I should have nice consistency plus visible pieces of veggies. Hot sauce put in jars. It should be canned before storage.
This sauce is perfect with grilled piece of kielbasa over macaroni or rice.
some of my jars:
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Aug 30, 2016 20:47

Looks good and sounds sweet/spicey Stephan! Thanks you for posting pics.

I have a similar strainer with several different sized grates. Works great for applesauce. But a real pain to clean!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Aug 31, 2016 15:58

That sounds and looks delicious. I do a fair amount of canning and will have to try your recipe. Typically, I don't follow recipes just use what I have and make to taste then can for later in the year.

Here is some V10 juice I made. I think all its lacking is a little vodka.

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Sep 02, 2016 02:25

have tell you that I delight on respond by BB. I have started to think that not many of you just preparing vegies for winter. BB - it is something above imagination that you can help your family survive above average shortage of food sources.
Today - Cherry tomatoes in sour hot sauce.
1 kg (2 LB) red cherry tomatoes
1 Kg (2 Lb) yellow grape tomatoes
1 head of garlic (or 1 teaspoon of )
2 Chili peppers ( sliced)
1 TBS of black pepper
1 glass of vinegar + 1 glass of water
10 TBS of canola oil
2 tbsp. of salt
Spices plus vinegar, plus water, plus sugar put in boiling state, Tomatoes filled in jars fill up with boiling solution of ingredients. Do not need canned it. Image
ImageImage
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Sep 03, 2016 02:29

That looks good and sounds interesting. Does it have a specific name?

Actually, I put up a lot of food each year but you are right - very few people do anymore and I don't understand why. I'll raise two gardens a year and I'll pick what we want and give the rest away but very few people will come pick it and my generosity only goes so far.

I get a lot of satisfaction eating off the grid so to speak. I live in a rural area and we grow a lot of food here and it just baffles me why more people don't take advantage of the blessings we have at our fingertips. It is hard at times because when the vegetables are ripe they need picking and will not wait for you but once you learn to work the seasons then you fall into earth's rhythm and its not so bad.

I may not plant a fall garden this year because I think we have enough food to do us for a year or two.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Sep 04, 2016 20:05

Stefan and Butterbean, thanks for showing us your delicious looking canning projects. I will have to show this to my wife who is the in-house canning expert here. I'm currently cycling along the Danube from Passau to Budapest, and have been off the radar for the past few days. Not all the guest houses have internet, and if available, I'm on line trying to study our route and book the next days accommodation.