Goetta recipe discussion

Notropis

Goetta recipe discussion

Post by Notropis » Tue Jul 06, 2021 15:57

I'm new and hoped to find discussion on Goetta and various recipes. I don't see much so I thought I should get the ball rolling.
This is a recently revised recipe based on my grandmas recipe (which consisted of about three sentences and no measurements).
It's been our family recipe for many decades and I suspect it's changed over the years from what was originally made. I'm looking for additional recipes to see how far our family has strayed. I know later in life, my Grandmother started using onion soup mix instead of stock and additional onion. I think this was both a time saver and cost cutter. Onion soup mix sure is cheap.

Part shoulder into large cuts.
Salt and lightly pepper pork steaks, then brown well in a fry pan.
Add browned pork to a very large pot with quartered onion, bay leaf, half required sage, enough water to just cover pork, onion soup mix and chicken bouillon.
Cover pot, place on high heat, and bring to a boil.
Reduce to simmer, and cook for 2-3 hours.
Once meat is soft, remove meat and onions, discard bay leaf and scapula.
Strain and measure pork stock.
Allow meat to cool enough to handle.
Grind meat and onion at ¼” or less..
Place measured amount of pork stock and additional chicken stock (if needed) over medium heat.
Add oats to strained pork stock, place over medium heat, stir occasionally.
Once oats swell (about 10 to 20 minutes), add ground pork, pepper and sage and stir often to prevent oats from scorching.
Taste for seasoning and amend.
Cook for about 30 additional minutes, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
Goetta should be very, very difficult to stir after adding ground meat.
Be careful about adding liquid, if you add too much liquid, you will need to cook it off (this will turn oats mushy).
When ready, the goetta mixture should look fibrous and almost dry.
Remove from heat and continue to stir for a minute or two.
Now prepare sausage stuffer or prepare loaf pans for molding.
If using loaf pans, I recommend lining them with plastic wrap before placing hot Goetta in the bread pan.
Tap the pan vigorously to settle and release air.
Allow to cool to touch, then refrigerate or freeze.

Heat ungreased, teflon skillet on medium.
Cut Goetta into ⅜” to ½” slices.
Cook Goetta until evenly browned on each side and serve hot.
Fried Goetta should be delicate to handle but able to be picked up by hand.

*Per 1000 grams meat:
400-450 grams dry steel cut traditional oat (do not use rolled oats or “quick” steel cut oats)-do not use Bob’s Red Mill oats - I think they’re quick oats
3 teaspoon sage (3.5 grams)
1-½ teaspoon black pepper (2.85 grams)
4.4 cups water (1040 mL)
1 package onion soup mix (ALDI or Lipton)
3-4 chicken bouillon cubes (if additional stock is needed)
Salt to taste
1 onion
3-4 bay leaves
(about 4.5 cups [1068 mL] of stock for every 400-500 grams oats).

*It’s very important to get the oat and stock ratio right as well as the oat to meat ratio.
*Always reserve %10 to %20 stock, and only add only as needed to prevent over watering the goetta.
Above recipe will yield double the meat weight.
redzed

Re: Goetta recipe discussion

Post by redzed » Sun Jul 11, 2021 15:32

Thanks for the introduction of goetta to the forum and the well written recipe. It's one of those "extended value" products where plant based filler are added to the meat to increase volume. Not only are products like these less expensive to make, they are probably healthier. Your recipe is a good example how our ancestors managed the resources they had. Although originating in Germany the recipe is very American in nature, esp. with the addition of onion soup mix. I wonder if there is a specific German sausage that it is based on?

If you have any picture of the goetta you made, it would be great if you could post them here.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Goetta recipe discussion

Post by Scogar » Sat Oct 09, 2021 15:23

This was very interesting to me both from the charcuterie perspective and the German ancestry. so I did a bit of a deep dive. It seems that this recipe in Germany was known as Gruetzwurst (Grützwurst). It often contained offal and/or blood. Marianski's closest (in name) is Grützleberwurst. https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... leberwurst and here is a recipe for straight up Grützwurst without offal but a bit of blood https://wurstcircle.com/recipes/gruetzwurst/

I didn't check out the OP, but I would bet he came from the Germanic pockets of the US (OH,PA,?). I did find this recipe from Spruce Eats, but the OP's sounds just as delicious so thanks. https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-g ... ed-5191258

This will be what we are having for breakfast sometime before the year is out