Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 06:43

Welcome to barronvonhulmut of Peterborough, Ontario Canada - home of the Peterborough Canoe Company and the Canadian Canoe Museum! Do you paddle that great Otonabee River? I`ve been sausage and canoe "nuts" since I was a kid... a couple of hundred years ago! I`ve chuckled over your unique handle for about 2 hours now, and still have a smile on my face. Yup, CrankyBuzzard brings a certain image to mind... kajuncatman and webofconfusion are both very... uh..."distinctive", and bangermuncher is descriptive, but barronvonhulmut paints a picture of a true adventurer in leather flight helmet, scarf, and goggles, trippin` down the Otonabee in a "barge" (canoe with a keel). :cool:
Hey barron, can you make a sausage? Welcome aboard. You`re among friends here.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

New member!

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 05:10

Hi Sweetdreamz! Welcome aboard. Ummmm. Robin Hood country eh? Would that possibly be Sherwood in Nottinghamshire? And do you still have a nasty sheriff there? Oh yes, did you know the word sheriff came from the English "Shire Reef". Yup, its tuwooo! What kind of sausage are you making Sweetdreamz? Anything we ol` crusty cowpokes should know about? :wink:
Best wishes and write in often!
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 17:40

Hello unclebuck in Lac La Biche, Alberta. And welcome aboard. Love your signature, but how do you smoke ice cream? Write in often unclebuck and tell us what you have in the ol` smokehouse!
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Mon Jan 17, 2011 23:12

I am from an old German family who settled on a farm in Sask. My grandfather and father brought many recipes from the old country(Oldenburg) that I use on a regular basis, and would be most likely to share with the board. I appreciate your welcome!!!
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 02:28

Hello again unclebuck,

You wrote:
My grandfather and father brought many recipes from the old country(Oldenburg) that I use on a regular basis, and would be most likely to share with the board.
You are among friends here unclebuck. We would love to have a look at those recipes! :grin: Please share!
Are you in the high Rockies? Interesting info about your grandfather. He must have been sort of a "pioneer" to your area eh? Sometimes I think that those ol' timers were cut from a tougher bolt of cloth than we are nowdays. My grandmother's father was Eb Bryce - the tough ol' immigrant who chased a cow into a colorful gulch he later called "Bryce Canyon". He said it was a "helluva place to lose a cow!"
Best wishes, Chuckwagon (shoveling snow again tonight :shock: )
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24

Hello jdwo1004 and welcome to the English speaking forum of the Polish site Wedliny Domowe. We're glad you're here. I don't speak a word of the Polish language but my friend Stan told me that Wedliny Domowe means homemade sausage making. There are some fine folks on this site and they all seem to help each other. It's a bit more relaxed than other boards and not quite so formal. Everyone here seems eager to help a fellow sausage makin', smoke lover!
There are no "silly" questions here. Usually someone with an answer will come to the rescue fairly quickly. There's quite a bit of knowledge among these folks. Some are beginners - some are quite experienced. All are friends. Again, welcome aboard.
Best wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 23:58

Hello Gladysh from Arizona! Welcome aboard. I tried out for your wonderful baseball team - The Arizona Diamondbacks - but they wouldn`t take a guy who runs the bases in cowboy boots! What town are you in Gladysh? Anything special in your smoker tonight? Again, welcome aboard... It`s nice to see you here.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Gladysh

Post by Gladysh » Fri Jan 21, 2011 05:28

Hi Chuck and thanks for the welcome. I'm disappointed the dbacks weren't interested, maybe you should consider a shot at the Cardinals. They could use a boot or two.

I'm in the greater Phoenix area, Gilbert specifically. Nothing in the smoker tonight but I do have ribs brining (your recipe) as well as your jerky (cajun). Needless to say this is going to be a good weekend.

I'm pretty new to this but I have made several fresh sausages (chorizo, breakfast, andouille that wasn't so good, and hot dogs). I'll have lots of questions and I'm looking forward to some good advice.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 23:51

Two new members! Welcome aboard TheFarmingWife in Nebraska, and GrayGoat in Crystal Lake, Il. Good to have you folks here. Write in often and tell us what you are working on.
And oh yes, always heed my "Western Wisdom"... Hmmmm... here comes some more! If you can tie a clove hitch in a carrot, its probably not fresh! :roll:
Hey, does anyone know if there is another word for synonym? :shock:

Best Wishes, Chuckwagon
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Tue Jan 25, 2011 09:22

Thanks for the welcome Chuckwagon.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 23:40

Another member from Wisconsin! Heeerrrreee'sssss Tacklebox. Now with a handle like that, you'd think we may get an invitation to go fishin' eh? Welcome aboard Tacklebox. We're looking forward to sharing info with you. I'll bet Sunday's roast that you smoke a great fish up there in Wisconsin eh? But can you make your own bacon too? Hmmmm? Do you think GrayGoat actually has a gray goat, or IS he a gray goat?
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 23:52

Chuckwagon wrote:Another member from Wisconsin! Heeerrrreee'sssss Tacklebox. Now with a handle like that, you'd think we may get an invitation to go fishin' eh? Welcome aboard Tacklebox. We're looking forward to sharing info with you. I'll bet Sunday's roast that you smoke a great fish up there in Wisconsin eh? But can you make your own bacon too? Hmmmm? Do you think GrayGoat actually has a gray goat, or IS he a gray goat?
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
I indeed do have a Gray Goat........... on my chin :lol:
tacklebox
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tacklebox » Thu Jan 27, 2011 07:04

Chuckwagon wrote:Another member from Wisconsin! Heeerrrreee'sssss Tacklebox. Now with a handle like that, you'd think we may get an invitation to go fishin' eh? Welcome aboard Tacklebox. We're looking forward to sharing info with you. I'll bet Sunday's roast that you smoke a great fish up there in Wisconsin eh? But can you make your own bacon too?
Thanks for the warm welcome Chuckwagon. Actually, tacklebox is a name given to me by my biker buddies, seeings as I look like I fell face first into a tacklebox :shock: :mrgreen: I am no stranger to smoking foods, been doing it quite awhile now...BBQ, cheese, jerky, fish, Canadian bacon...but I am a complete noob at sausage making. I have a few books on the subject including those by Anderson and Rytek, and have read them thouroughly. I recieved a grinder and a vertical stuffer for Christmas this year, so this weekend my Dad and I are going to attempt sausage for the first time...can't wait :grin: Books are great to give you the basics, but I'm glad I found this forum/site(recommended by a fellow smoker on another :shock: forum) to ask questions and get feedback when I have one of those Awww Shucks moments. Look forward to chatting with ya'll.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:01

That`s OK Tacklebox. Don't fret! My face is so hammered, rain won`t fall on it anymore! Heck, my mother used to feed me with a sling-shot. Yup, when I was born, the doctor didn't slap me on the butt, he slapped my mother across the face. Heck, my mug is so awful that it looks like it caught fire and someone tried to put it out with a fork! :shock: It`s pretty bad alright. I bet I could make a freight train back up and take a dirt road! Nonetheless, Tacklebox... it just doesn`t matter because I cook the meanest biscuit in the west! :lol:
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 02:44

Welcome aboard Oakshadows from Florida. Unless I`m mistaken, I believe you are the only other member from Florida besides Stan and Adam Marianski (Seminole). Are you an ol` hand at sausage makin`? What sort of wood are you folks using to smoke up your barbecue? We`re glad to have you with us Oakshadows.
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon