Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Jul 31, 2012 00:30

Yes, I did consider a Bradley, and I get Xmas cards from Jim & Dick Cabela, we go way back. I just got this in my e=mail from the guys in Brazil who make the thermostats for Sausage Maker;

Dear Raymond,

"It seems the thermostat is defective...please get in contact with Sausage Maker to replace the unit. Best Regards,"

The two defective smokers sre being picked up tomorrow morning and get trucked back to NY, a nice 3000 mile ride. I'm way to far into this to back off now, and I want some satisfaction. Numerous hours spent e-mailing techs in Brazil and customer service people in NY, on top of all the time and money spent processing the batch of sausage only to be ruined by their defective smoker

I think if they'll send me the 30 lb model at no extra charge I might be able to consider us even. Of course that batch of sausage is like a big salmon that gets away right before the net comes down, you never really get over it. These two managed to get in the boat, but the fillets will be frozen instead of smoked until this all gets ironed out.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 19:05

Howdy pardners! Does anyone know who the guy is that goes around putting all those little tiny stickers on fruit at the grocery stores? I`d like to find the %#*@! so I could paste him right between the eyes with something akin to a brick! :wink:
Hey Mukausa in Tennessee and Jroc in Michigan (our newest members)... have you ever bit into an apple and found a sticky piece of paper in your mouth? If you ever see the blockhead putting stickers on fruit, would you kindly point him out? Welcome to WD Mukausa and Jroc. Pull up some shade and sit a spell... like 99 years! Glad to have you with us.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 31, 2012 19:27

Chuchwagon, Have you ever bitten into an apple and found half a worm?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 19:45

Well shucks pard! At least that's protein! And besides... they were there first. :roll: I'd just like to get my rope 'round the little snot who goes around pastin' sticky paper on my apples. I'd introduce him to part of our state near Robber's Roost... it's called "The Maze" - for good reason. :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Aug 01, 2012 03:43

An' while yer at it, CW, why don't you nail the folks who hide the pins in new shirts. It got so bad that I quit buyin' 'em. Now all I wear is tee shirts that say
"I'm retired. This is as dressed up as it gets."
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 05:29

How about a little "Saddlebum`s Western Wisdom"? Is anyone in sausageville a horseman? Anyone been on a horse? We`d like to hear about it. As the DuckO says, "Inquiring minds want to know".

Whenever a horse is saddled, an experienced cowboy doesn`t consider his own comfort first. No, no, noooo! A good rider has the comfort and safety of the horse in mind before he even places a blanket on the animal`s back. If a horse is to turn in a circular motion (as in "cutting"), he must bend laterally and nearly all the "bend" comes from the back portion of his thoracic spine. When a rider is properly positioned and "balanced", his leg will rest again the portion of the horse`s rib cage that attaches to his spine at the top and the long cartilage extension of the horse`s sternum at the bottom. With most flexion occurring between the 7th and 16th rib, the rider usually sits somewhere between the 9th and the 14th ribs. Very little vertical flexion takes place at these points. Whenever saddlin` up, it is important to not startle the horse. If someone suddenly appears directly behind the animal, he is asking for a free ride all the way across the corral - airborne. A horse doesn`t mind you walking directly behind him as long as he knows you are there, and that is the very reason a cowboy puts his hand on the horse`s rump and leaves it there until he has finished walking around the animal.

Hey folks, we`ve got a brand new member known as Laripu in Tampa, Florida. Seems to me, I've seen his face before... on a wanted poster down at the general store! :lol: Welcome aboard Laripu! We`re glad you`re here. Just don`t go grindin` my mount into horse-salami. :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 07:26

El Quacko,
Are you still peeling your M&M's? Shucks, I'll just bet you're drinkin' downstream from the herd again aren't you? And that tee-shirt you've got that reads, "TGIF"... you know the one... you tell everyone it has something to do with it being Friday, when you know it's really the only way you can tell, "This Goes In Front"! :roll: And another thing Duckster, I heard that you couldn`t dial 911 because there was no "eleven" button on your phone. How about it, Duckdown? Inquiring minds want to know. Yup... you`re a perfect example of someone born in a house with lead paint! Sort of a "taco short of a combo plate". I don`t know what your condition is quackster, but I bet it`s really hard to pronounce! Oh, you pooooor man! :mrgreen:
Come on back, good buddy!

RockChuck WheelRut
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:44

Hey folks, we`ve got a brand new member known as Laripu in Tampa, Florida. Seems to me, I've seen his face before... on a wanted poster down at the general store! :lol: Welcome aboard Laripu! We`re glad you`re here. Just don`t go grindin` my mount into horse-salami. :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Funny you should say that...I've had horse steak a couple of times, probably around 16 or 17 years ago. I was living in Montreal back then, and they served it in the cafeteria at work one day, called it "chevalline". It was very lean and tasty. I liked it well enough to buy it once and my wife (then girlfriend) cooked it up. She liked it too.

But don't worry, your mount is safe. I like bison better. :wink:
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 02:24

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Aug 02, 2012 02:42

Seems like we had horse meat while we were living in Colorado in the early '70s. There was a beef shortage. My wife described the taste as "not bad, a little different from beef, but cuter than buffalo." I'm still not sure what that means, but she's still around and the horse meat isn't, which I suppose is a good sign.

With all the drought-driven beef production problems, we may come to a similar beef shortage very soon. The price of brisket has doubled already. Maybe ol' CW will have to re-larn his lasso technique, suitable for chickens. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Thu Aug 02, 2012 23:43

Chuckwagon wrote:Check out this link Laripu: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... =eat+horse
Thanks Chuck, I'd already read it when I posted.

You're right, there's more of horsemeat eaten in Canada than in the US and more of it in Quebec than in the rest of Canada. I guess that's a French influence.
I've ridden one twice (early 80's) and ate some twice (early 90's). That's probably the closest I'll get to either of those things ever again. :smile:
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 08:18

We`ve got a new member driftin` into camp today on that wild lookin` broomtail puddin` foot! Welcome to the WD outfit Shadowrunner762 from Chicago, Illinois. See the biscuit shooter (cook) for some fixin's and a reloadin' outfit (food and silverware). Now don`t go shootin` the guitar player `cause that`s ol` Ross and he's doing the dishes tonight! Nice to have you with us Shadowrunner. See if you can figure out this puzzle:

In the Old West, there were many strange terms used to describe common things. Many were made by cowboys using tongue-in-cheek humor - saddlebums with too much time on their hands, watchin` the herd graze at night. Here are a few of my favorites. See if you can match up the terms with their correct definitions. The correct answers are below.

1. Pancake
2. Plumb
3. Rocky Mountain Canary
4. Catawampous
5. Slantindicular
6. Exfluncticate

a. burro
b. fierce
c. an English saddle
d. to utterly destroy
e. not straight
f. entirely or completely
3. a
4. b
5. e
6. d
shadowrunner762

the new guy

Post by shadowrunner762 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 16:59

greetings all,

I have been BBQ-ing and smoking for over 20+ yrs now. I got a home smoke house component package from sausage maker in the mid 90's and converted a old freezer and never looked back :grin:

I love a challenge and after reading Marianski's books, i am gearing to do dry cured products here at home. I have some questions, but ill sort thru the board and see if i can answer them myself before asking.

the site looks amazing so far, thanks for having me aboard.

be safe,
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 04, 2012 08:41

Welcome to WD ArtisanBeard in Mountain City, Georgia. Mosey on over to the campfire and pour yourself a cup. I think "mosey" is just a bit faster than "amble". If you wish to amble on over to the campfire, that`s alright too! :roll: Hey ArtisanBeard, I`ve got some great Seasoned Saddlebum`s "Western Advice" for you.
Character shows up best when tested. You can't tell how good a man or a watermelon is 'til they get thumped. :shock:
Welcome aboard pal!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 08:15

Did you know that originally, Oklahoma had seven native Indian nations? Yup, alphabetically they are Apache, Arapaho, Caddo, Comanche, Kiowa, Osage, and Witchita. However, because Oklahoma was originally a government designated "Indian Territory", more than 25 other Indian nations were moved to the Oklahoma Territory - by force! A real dark spot in our history, it was part of something the government called the "Indian Removal" program. Although the nations were given land ownership, those who didn`t move "willingly", were forced into Oklahoma by the U.S. Army. And the call us civilized?

Our newest member is in Oklahoma City and he is mds51. Welcome to WD pard. Pull up some campfire and pour yourself a cup. We are happy to have you with us. Hey mds, did you know that "Blackbird", a chief of the Omaha Indians (up in Nebraska), was buried sitting on his favorite horse! It`s true.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon