Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ferincr

Post by ferincr » Thu Sep 20, 2018 17:59

Hi, redzed!! thanks for the welcoming and interest in my processes. Should I tell you about what I've been doing with the muscle cuts here or should we move to another thread as to not go to far off track here?
Fernando
Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Sep 20, 2018 19:09

Charles here from Northern Cal...Santa Cruz, San Jose, Rocklin and Fairplay..

Been smoking meats off and on for many years.

Decided to start making cured sausages etc.. as well.

Looks like a great site full of great info and peoples so decided to join.

Happy cooking everyone!
Be Kind, Have Fun, Live Well!
mski2

Post by mski2 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 00:58

Hi, Mark from S CA.
Been in this hobby for many years still learning, found this place with a wealth of info.
Thanks
Mark
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 22, 2018 21:15

ferincr wrote:Hi, redzed!! thanks for the welcoming and interest in my processes. Should I tell you about what I've been doing with the muscle cuts here or should we move to another thread as to not go to far off track here?
Please post the info on the Dry Cured Meats and Sausages sub forum. (Sorry for the late reply, I'm still in Europe and not always able to check in here).
redzed

Re: New Guy Looking for Small Sausage Production Shop Plans

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 22, 2018 21:42

argusa wrote:Hello Everyone,

I have been making Chorizos for several years and now I am at a point where I bought a commercial space to open up my own shop.

I am looking for a small production Fresh Sausage (600 sqf) shop plans. If anyone is kind to share that, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Hi argusa and thanks for visiting our site. Over the years we've had a number of guys who participated on this forum when they were setting up a sausagemaking shop, but once established and busy with everyday responsibilities, they don't check back here too often. I have a few suggestions for you. Send a PM to one of our members who goes by the handle of BriCan. He has had decades of experience, makes superb products and is always willing to share his knowledge. I know him personally and he's a great guy.

If you already haven't read Rytek Kutas' book Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing, do so. In addition to an excellent collection of recipes, Rytek has a chapter with tips on how to set up and operate a sausage shop.

And to satisfy the authorities you will need a HACCP plan. There is a mountain of nifo on the subject here. http://www.opensourcefoodsafety.org/

Hope this helps and please post and tell us how you make out.
Last edited by redzed on Sun Sep 23, 2018 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 22, 2018 21:51

Charles wrote:Charles here from Northern Cal...Santa Cruz, San Jose, Rocklin and Fairplay..

Been smoking meats off and on for many years.

Decided to start making cured sausages etc.. as well.

Looks like a great site full of great info and peoples so decided to join.

Happy cooking everyone!
Hey Charles welcome to the finest group of meatheads to be found anywhere! :grin: Getting into dry cured fermented products is another level in the art of the sausage, and a bit of a learning curve. But it is so rewarding, and we are here to help!
Last edited by redzed on Sun Sep 23, 2018 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 22, 2018 21:59

mski2 wrote:Hi, Mark from S CA.
Been in this hobby for many years still learning, found this place with a wealth of info.
Thanks
Mark
Welcome Mark! This hobby is both a science and an art. It is virtually impossible to learn everything there is to it. The more we learn and discover, the more we realize how little we know.
Pflugervillain

Post by Pflugervillain » Thu Sep 27, 2018 02:11

Hello Everyone.

I have been lurking in the shadows for a about a year and a half. All of you are amazing and the site holds a wealth of experience and knowledge.

First, I want to say how sorry I was to see the passing of Chuckwagon. It is easily apparent that he was a tremendous source of information, humor, and a good friend to many of you. I also want to say thank you to both Butterbean and Bob K. It`s because of your Sweetheart Ham recipes that my four-year-old granddaughter thinks I am amazing. She believes I named it after her. Sorry guys, I refuse to tell her different, and I don`t even mind that I`m stealing your thunder. It`s the only lunch meat she will eat. Also, I love knifeman for his blade knowledge.

Lastly, I want to thank Redzed. You are the reason I felt I had to formally join the group. On July 17th you posted a link to a class being taught by Francois Vecchio. Well, I sent the link to my wife, "largely to aggravate her- She gets tired of me talking about meat" and the next day by 06:00 she had signed me up for the class. I love that girl! I`m very excited about the class in October, and again, thank you Red.

Now let`s talk about me. My skills are limited. I started with making venison sausage and have branched out over the past few years. My go too are fresh sausages, bacon, boudin, summer sausage, snack sticks, and of course Sweetheart Ham. I have yet to create or master a recipe that I can call my one. I have used hog, sheep, and collagen casings with good results all around. My biggest problem is that my family and friends can`t seem to eat all my fixins as fast as I fix them. This means I can`t make as much as I want to make. I have acquired a second fridge in the garage, because you can't have the spinach smelling like smoke. Dang wife!... I will post some pics and contribute where I can.

I could ramble on, but I won`t.

I`m not sure how often I will contribute in the future, but I truly enjoy seeing the posts from around the world, from Canada to Africa, and from Australia to Panama. All of you are inspiring, and I love seeing the traditional and the ventures into the uncharted.

Pflugervillain

Richard

Pflugerville TX.
Bruwzr

Post by Bruwzr » Sat Sep 29, 2018 01:41

Hello Everyone,
Newbie to the site, am a beginner to sausage making. Really keen to learn the Art and of course the tasting!!!
Cheers
Shit Happens!!!!.......Only the depth varies!!!
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 29, 2018 15:53

Pflugervillain wrote: I have been lurking in the shadows for a about a year and a half. All of you are amazing and the site holds a wealth of experience and knowledge.
Richard
Pflugerville TX.
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the kind words, we are very glad that you joined us and that you have benefited from the information that has been posted here over the years. And it's not only the moderators that can take credit for it, but also hundreds of others who took the time to share their experiences, recipes and offered help to beginners in this great hobby.

I hope that you hang around with us for a long time and also show us some of the fruits of your labour. And especially give us a report on the upcoming workshop led by Francois Vecchio. I would love to attend such an event and meet Francois in person. He is a legend and has to be commended for his dedication to the craft and the time he puts in sharing his knowledge.

All the best,
Chris
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 29, 2018 16:09

Bruwzr wrote:Hello Everyone,
Newbie to the site, am a beginner to sausage making. Really keen to learn the Art and of course the tasting!!!
Cheers
Hey Bruwzr, welcome! Always nice to have another member from Oz join the clan! Get going on making sausages and don't hesitate in posting questions. We are here to help. :grin:
Pflugervillain

Post by Pflugervillain » Sat Sep 29, 2018 20:05

I'll do my best to share my kitchen adventures, and include pics along the way.

The upcoming workshop promises to be great fun, and huge opportunity for me to pick up some new skills from everyone involved. I was just told that we will be butchering a total of six hogs. That is six hogs from field to plate.
mfiorita

Re: Just saying hello (New Member)

Post by mfiorita » Tue Oct 09, 2018 23:57

redzed wrote:
mfiorita wrote:Hey everyone. New to the forum, just joined but have been curing and making wine with the family since I was old enough to help out. There is so much knowledge on this forum, hope I can contribute in some way. Hope everyone is doing well.

Mike
Hey Mike welcome to the forum! We are happy to have you aboard and look forward to your contributions. How about telling us more about some of your favourite products and maybe some recipes?

BTW, I'm also an amateur winemaker and eagerly awaiting the arrival of this year's Cab Sav and Syrah grapes next month.
Hey redzed,
Some of my favorite products are sausage, soppressata, prosciutto, capo, etc... I have a friend that hunts so I will probably try to make some type of venison sausage when the time comes and will absolutely give pics of the process when I start. I'd love to give some recipes but they're really not accurate and I wouldn't advise anyone to try any of it lol. Sadly, people from the old country really didn't write anything down nor were they accurate, nor did they use curing salts. Different times, but I prefer to keep it safe.

Let me know if you have any questions on the wine making. I generally prefer and make Zinfandel. It's robust like a Cabernet Sauvignon and is used in many blends now a days. :) Let me know if you have any questions and I'll keep everyone posted!
Bill

Post by Bill » Wed Dec 05, 2018 01:06

Hello from another newbie to sausage making.

Just received my Mondostart Classic culture.

Now to find a fan for my fermenting chamber.

Regards

Bill
Blank
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 05, 2018 08:37

Hi Bill! Nice to have you aboard! I have used Mondostart cultures and can help you if you have any questions. Are you looking for an exhaust or circulating fan for your chamber? I have an intake fan on the bottom of the chamber and an exhaust fan at the top. Both are 12v computer fans.