Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Loco
Beginner
Beginner

New to the fourm

Post by Loco » Thu Dec 06, 2018 04:33

I have been making sausage for several years, started doing fermeted sausage about a year ago. Really enjoy your site alot of information to digest.

I have a question about vac packing. Can i vac pack my dried sausage ad simply dtore i the refrigerator or do i need to freeze it? How long will it stay good in the refrigerator vac packed?

Thank in advance for your help.
Loco
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Dec 06, 2018 13:42

Welcome to the Forum Loco! You can store your vac sealed dried sausage indefinitely in the refrigerator. Storing this way will also help to even out moisture and the flavor will continue to improve. No need to freeze. Just be sure to remove the casings or rinse off the mold first.
AndyPandy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by AndyPandy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 17:23

Hello everyone,
I have been reading this forum for some time know, so much that I feel like I already know some of you :lol: .
I have been making sausages (fresh and dried) as well as some cured whole muscles for some time with mixed success. For some reason I have been unable to reproduce consistent results, although I follow exactly the same process every single time. Still working on understanding better what is going on, but this is not why I have decided to sign up.
After making several smaller pieces of cured pork, including a culatello, I wanted to try a whole leg. Thinking of 8-12 months down the line, when I will be (hopefully) slicing wonderfully thin slices of this prosciutto, I decided to go with a piece of meat that I found that is "partially" deboned (it has only a very short part of the femure bone, around 3 inches). At first I thought that was great - easier to slice with a deli slicer, but now I am not so sure. Will I have problems during the drying phase? I am especially worried with potential rott around the bone. The meat is right now in the curing process (equilibrium), and should be ready in about 15 more days (has been curing for around 10). Should I debone completely after finishing the cure? Should I inject some cure around the bone?
What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,
Andy
Loco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Loco » Fri Dec 07, 2018 01:15

Another question my family loves garlic so I want to do some "Garlic" Sausage can someone tell me how much garlic % to add, want to taste it but not overpower the sausage.. any ideas would be helpfull.
Loco
SMR
User
User

Post by SMR » Fri Dec 07, 2018 21:17

Hi Loco

Check out this link for recommended percentages of garlic and a whole host of other spices https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... es/secrets. I just did a batch of Salame Calabrese based on a recipe by RedZed and it called for 2 grams per kilogram of meat. It was a very nice balance of garlic with the other spices. I used grated fresh garlic in that recipe.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 08, 2018 08:54

Hi Loco and welcome to the forum! I would probably finish debong the leg and do something in the style of a culatello. I can't see how you can successfully cure a leg that is patially de boned and avoid spaces inside. These caves will result in spoilage unless you can somehow tie it tightly so as to eliminate them.

You garlic question is a tough one. Not all varieties are the same and we all have different preferences. To begin with, use the best garlic you can get or grow. Avoid the Chinese stuff from the supermarket. And experiment, usually 2-3g/kg is enough to give the sausage a nice hint and light aroma of garlic. Once you use 5g/kg and over, the level of taste and aroma of garlic becomes more pronounced. If you add 8g/kg you really like garlic and every one around you will know that. :wink:
AndyPandy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by AndyPandy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 15:16

Hi redzed, thanks for your reply. By the way, Loco asked the garlic question. The deboning one is mine.
So, yes, I agree that deboning is probably the best way to go, but I though of a way of packing thightly, that might even work leaving the bone in. What if I put the partially deboned leg in a vacum bag, vacum it tightly, tie it over the plastig bag, and onced tied, remove the bag. This will probably be easier said than done, but with some care it shold be possible to remove the bag frum under the twine. That would ensure that the piece of meat is tied as tight as possible, at least in theory. You think this would work?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Dec 09, 2018 16:57

Andy-
The best way is by pressing. There is a lot of info in this thread if you read through it:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0
Summerbee

Post by Summerbee » Wed Dec 26, 2018 23:53

HI Everyone, I grew up in Mississippi where BBQ was king. Recently, I built a smoker out of an old refrigerator for the sole purpose of smoking ribs and Boston butts. Then, I figured out how to convert it to a cold smoker to smoke cheeses and nuts. This deer season, I was given a lot of venison and decided to make some andouille, kielbasa and chaurice. I will admit, it did not come out tasting as good as I hoped but, it's not too bad and my friends keep eating it. This recent foray into sausage making and taking a charcuterie board to a Christmas party has really piqued my interest in processing meat at home and the world of sausages. Besides, most anything is better than store bought. This is real food. Thanks for bringing me into the group.
Homemade is always better.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Dec 28, 2018 07:06

Welcome to the forum. Good to have another southerner. :mrgreen:
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 17:27

Welcome Summerbee! You've come to the right place if you want to learn to mage good sausage. Tons of info and recipes on this forum and Stanley Marianski's site https://www.meatsandsausages.com/ with which we are associated with. It's a great and rewarding hobby and we are here to help.
Rambo

New Here

Post by Rambo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 04:17

Hello from East Texas. I've been barbecuing for many years. My Son gave me a nice Grinder for Christmas and I'm going to give sausage a try after I read a lot of info. I look forward to researching the information here.
BBQBob
Beginner
Beginner

Post by BBQBob » Sun Jan 06, 2019 14:20

Hey gang! Bob here. I'm not new to this forum. I signed up back in 2010 and learned how to make fresh sausage here. I've made my share of sausages, kielbasa, kabanos and my apple brats. Also have made both venison and beef jerky.
I dropped out of sight for a bit. Then signed back up in 2015. Wanting to start making dried sausage but I got cold feet. Well, I'm back and really want to start my next venture. I'm hoping to start making dry cured stuff by spring. Saving funds to get the equipment I need to start.
Questions will be coming soon.

Be safe and thanks for this forum!
Bob
25 years ago I use to smoke pot. Now I smoke pork.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Jan 06, 2019 20:27

Glad to have you back
BBQBob
Beginner
Beginner

Post by BBQBob » Mon Jan 07, 2019 20:23

Thanks, Butterbean!
25 years ago I use to smoke pot. Now I smoke pork.