[USA]Easter cooking

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 20:03

GrayGoat,
Wow that looks like a meal fit for Kings (and Queens) the sausage looks the best but that just happens to be my soft spot :shock: Now I have to go made some food getting hungry again just looking at those Pics.
John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Apr 26, 2011 20:48

My wife's brother-in-law was here years ago and I fixed ribs. Well he tucked his napkin into his collar and the corners under his suspenders and then went to work on those ribs with both hands. As his fingers got messy he just wiped them on his napkin and didn't miss a beat. The napkin protected his shirt front and when My wife said something about it to her sister. Sister hadn't even noticed and she was sitting across the table from Bill. I guess she had lived with it for a long time. Nancy thought it was crude and I was amused by it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 00:42

Thanks CW, we had a group of around twenty and everyone seemed to enjoy the two home made sausages. I will be honest with you, everyone raves about the Tenderloin but I think they don't have much flavor, just give me a bone in Ribeye or a nicely smoked brisket any time :lol:

Thanks jbk101, I'm kinda partial to sausage myself :lol:

Thanks steelchef, it sounds like you had a great spread yourself, I would love to try some ice worms with mustard/wasabi dip :grin:
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Wed Apr 27, 2011 01:09

Gray Goat wrote: just give me a bone in Ribeye or a nicely smoked brisket any time
Hear, Hear, :arrow:

You are a man after my own heart (and stomach.) But; I could have been quite satisfied with that srcumptious looking sausage, some succulent shrimpskis and your wife's dessert looks fabulous. :grin:

You are welcome to join us for iceworms but it will have to wait until next season. :wink:

It appears that most if not all of us had a very happy and fullfilling Easter.

Stay in touch friends and I promise to be more diligent about pictures in the future.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 01:17

Thanks steelchef, maybe we can laughingly adopt the policy of "no pix, it didn't happen". I am a simple man with a simple mind, after so much reading I need some pretty pictures or something shiny to look at. :lol: :lol:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Apr 27, 2011 01:27

Ice worms can also be found in glacier ice because it is so old it gets wormy. But they aren't the same as annual ice worms which are more succulent.
Ross- tightwad home cook
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Wed Apr 27, 2011 02:40

I agree Gray Goat. Just wish I had some pics of those iceworms. :mrgreen:

And; you are spot on Ross. The old glacial ice does produce an inferior quality. :wink:
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Apr 27, 2011 03:25

Some winters we get a few but it doesn't stay cold long enoght for them to grow to any size.
There used to be sign posted on the ponds about being safe for skating or warning to stay off because the ice was wormy but with the climate change the county doesn't bother with the signs any more and the wild geese eat all of the worms as the ice melts so most people aren't even aware that they exist.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 03:48

Gray Goat, you wrote:
I will be honest with you, everyone raves about the Tenderloin but I think they don't have much flavor, just give me a bone in Ribeye or a nicely smoked brisket any time
Yup, the pork has got it eh? Fer' shure'. The fat is the tasty stuff and makes it so flavorful. Hey, Goat Man..., do you hunt? Do you bring down your own meat? Just curious. I've got a great recipe for some semi-dry cured sausage with pork fat and venison.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 05:02

Oh, and yes, yes Gray Goat... :idea:
I forgot to mention - if you want a real treat, try "lacing" some pork fat through the beef tenderloin. There are inexpensive tools to this this with, but shucks, I've just always used a good fillet knife. If you can get a little pork fat to melt during the roasting process in beef, dining hombres and buckaroos of every type will knock down yer' ol' kitchen door, just a scramblin' to get into the dining room next time you ring the ol' iron triangle to let 'em know the gravy is finished. (The real secret is to get as much "butcher's grind" freshly-ground, coarse, black pepper into the meat as possible!) Dyn-o-mite! :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 06:58

Ode To Beard-O The Bearded Wonder

There once was a grinder named Beard-O,
Whose mustache was unending as limbo;
Just one glance at his mug,
Would convince any thug,
His beard was really a weird-O

His hair was bright pink, don`t you see,
With a brilliant and shiny goatee;
He once tried to shave,
But just had to save,
His natural "no-cut" dignity.

His razor stalled out at first glance,
`Though he`d lathered with soap in advance;
As the blade met his face,
He gave up in disgrace,
As his beard simply fell from his face.

:lol:
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 22:49

CW I am not a hunter but I do get venison from time to time from friends, I have a roast and some back straps in the freezer as we speak :mrgreen: I like your idea of the lacing and will give it a try but I will side with Emeril in saying "Pork fat rules". When I am outside guarding my cooler on a hot summer day down wind from my smoker, there is nothing that makes me smile more than getting a wiff of pork butts or ribs and apple wood smoke :grin:
By the way CW, a friend has asked me to smoke some Pheasant, any ideas ?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Apr 28, 2011 01:19

GrayGoat wrote:
By the way CW, a friend has asked me to smoke some Pheasant, any ideas ?

You are gonna need a really big pipe but tobacco is a much better smoke. ;)
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 03:41

Hi Gray Goat,

This recipe for my, "Smoke n` Choke Turkey" works well on pheasants, ducks, and other birds as well. Be sure to consider the following items:
(a.) Although the same "strength" brine is made, a shorter duration of time in the brine is required. For a smaller bird (2-3 days for a pheasant is plenty)
(b.) A shorter duration in the smokehouse. Pheasant smokes quickly and develops a pellicle. Be sure to pat the bird dry before it goes into the smokehouse. Alder is ideal for smoking poultry.
(c.) A heavy smudge is just not needed on pheasant. Use a light, "thin" smoke.

Here's a link:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4837

Make the same brine strength by mixing only HALF the volume of all ingredients to accommodate the much smaller bird.
The brining of poultry make a wonderfully moist end product. You will be amazed. Be very careful not to overcook the bird following the smoking. The flesh has fully cooked at 170°; F. (77°; C.). Good luck with the project and please let us know how it turns out.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Thu Apr 28, 2011 04:01

Thanks for the recipe CW, do you recommend still curing the birds even though they will be cooked to 170° ?

Thanks,
Wayne