WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Jan 05, 2012 15:19

Thanks for sharing such good stuff. Only problem is, next time you'll need a higher table if you use your Great Dane helper.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 05, 2012 16:34

el Ducko wrote:Thanks, guys. Great ideas. Anyone know where I could buy silicone gaskets? (...me neither, but I'll look.) The nylon windbreaker idea sounds easy to do, too, which is always good. ...?)

Next "opportunity:" I have this old pickup out in the yard on cinder blocks, and several old leather belts and pulleys and flywheels...
Are you planning to use that to turn your grinder? :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Jan 05, 2012 18:21

nuynai wrote:Only problem is, next time you'll need a higher table if you use your Great Dane helper.
This is true. She already can lay head head comfortably on the kitchen counter & gaze longingly at what I make. Best to make alternate plans for her now than wait for the next sausage go-round. Easier now to train her @ 100 lbs than @ 140lbs full-grown....especially when there's piles of porky goodness on the countertops. :mrgreen:

-Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jan 05, 2012 18:52

I'm thinking more along the lines of the belts driving a bucket belt that lifts a bowling ball up to a trough, where it rolls down, bounces off a couple of pins that have been glued down, then drops into another bucket that pulls on a rope.

The rope goes through a couple of pulleys (as opposed to pullies, right?) and over to the top of a cage. It lifts and frees a couple of pullets, who peck at a string coated with seed and molasses. When the string is severed, it drops a trap door, letting out a raccoon.

The raccoon sees a sleeping dog, lets it lie, but while keeping a wary eye on it, accidentally knocks over a container of lye, which eats the top out of a can of lime-colored paint, indicating that Martha Stewart must be nearby. The paint spills, runs down a ramp to a cauldron of boiling oil, tips it, and it runs down the outer walls of the federal prison where Martha formerly...

[twelve page rant, er, section deleted by our magnificent, munificent, meat-eating moderator, who frankly has other franks to fry]

...which closes an electrical contact, thereby turning the grinder on.

So in summation, does sausage redolent of raccoon require Rioja, or is retsina recommended?
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Traditional Butchery in Poland.

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jan 12, 2012 04:40

...would love to read about the topic. If the efforts of the Marianski family are any indication, there's plenty to learn. How in the world did they manage to do any of it during the Soviet days? Surely cure was hard to come by, and equipment must have been pretty basic.

Then again, I once toured a PET bottle resin plant, just after the Berlin wall came down. When asked what they did with their off-specification product, they smiled and said. "There is none." "But you have specifications. Surely you don't always satisfy them," I replied. They smiled. "Russians will buy ANYthing," they said. ...and they probably had similar outlets for sub-par meat products.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 12, 2012 05:53

Hey Ducky, There are in the upper right and left corners of the first page of this site rather nice logos. If you should click on those you will be taken to another part of the world where things are done a little differently.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 07:34

New members...
If you are not sure where to post, please click on this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=5909#5909

If you need help navigating the site, click here: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5160
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jan 12, 2012 18:26

...different world indeed! I wish I knew enough Polish to read the ".pl" side of the site. I bet there's some good stuff there.

Hey, Maestro Moderator Chuckwagon, do you think we could get some help from the other side of the site? I'm sure we can all learn quite a bit by sharing. (...any volunteers?)
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 12, 2012 18:48

Google translate is the option that I use.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 21:02

Hey Duckster,
The Polish people are some of the most helpful and friendly folks I've ever met. My friend "Siara" is a great guy and he has helped me tremendously as a moderator. His name is Maciek and he lives and works in Belgium. Stan Marianski's contribution to our craft simply speaks for itself. Stan is a quiet man, yet has a heart as big as Florida, where he lives. He's the guy who generously supplied the books as "prizes" for our contests. The Polish folks have always been more than willing to help us and have truly extended the hand of friendship. They have supplied calendars and have offered WD collectibles. Unfortunately, because of the language barrier, most of our members have not attempted to respond to most of their gestures. You would be surprised how many Poles speak English. And they do it very well. They have always invited us to attend the annual Wedliny Domowe convention in August in Poland. So far, no one has responded. If my health holds out, I'll certainly be there this coming August. I don't speak a word of Polish but I sure as hell can smile and shake hands with these fine folks. They are a wonderful brotherhood we seem to take for granted... after all, they established, host, and pay the bills for this very site! I, for one, am very grateful to our hosts.

There are some terrific videos and photos posted on THIS site of the WD annual convention. I've watched them all because I am proud to be a member of Wedliny Domowe. Stan Marianski attended in August and posted some very good photos. I'm also looking forward to meeting "Maxell" who is Miroslaw "Mirek" Gebarowski. He is a professional fireman and he heads up the Polish School Of Domestic Meat Processing. I would give a month's wages just to see him dance with my wife!

If you want to learn more, click on the emblem in the top-right side of the home index page. Click on the Polish flag too. If you have a newer computer, you may have the translation feature. Then click on the 17th forum called "Books & videos of meat processing" to view the nationwide meeting of Wedzarniczej Brotherhood (school of meat processing).

My hat is off to the folks who make this site possible. Thank you very much for your hard work and your hand of friendship.
They are:

Vtek (Wiek) - administrator
Maxell Miroslaw (Mirek) Gebarowski
Siara: (Maciek)
Bon Air:
Ligawa:
Seminole:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 21:29

Chuckwagon wrote:They have always invited us to attend the annual Wedliny Domowe convention in August in Poland. So far, no one has responded. If my health holds out, I'll certainly be there this coming August. I don't speak a word of Polish but I sure as hell can smile and shake hands with these fine folks.
Count me in. I'll go with you, pal. What are the dates?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 00:45

August 23--26, 2012
See this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5329
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jan 13, 2012 02:09

Wow! I'll bet that would be fun to attend.

We visited once in Wroclaw (formerly known as Breslau, for you German speakers), and had a delightful time. We found that their English is better than ours! I've also been to Turin on business (that PET polymer blurb, elsewhere), and found the people to be a delightful, full of humor, knowledgeable people. One caution- - never, EVER, try to match 'em when drinking vodka. (...but always try! You'll get over it, in a few days.)

A toast (Zubrowka, my favorite buffalo grass vodka) to all of 'em.

I'll try to find that translation feature. This could be great! Thanks for the info and heads-up, and best wishes for an enjoyable August.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jan 13, 2012 02:12

...and your Google translator thingie says I should have said Torun, not Turin. Copernicus must be spinning in his grave...
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jan 13, 2012 02:19

It should show in the tool bar above the web site page.
Ross- tightwad home cook