WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Apr 25, 2011 06:43

Hi Jer,
We are very happy to have you join the forum and have already enjoyed your posts. Don't ever worry about offending the Steelchef or me. Heck, you couldn't offend that goofy northerner with an axe! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Mon Apr 25, 2011 21:56

Chuckwagon wrote:Hi Jer,
I better explain a bit. The ol' steelchef and I are best friends.
I`m gettin` a little misty here and having trouble composing this as my instincts are to respond in our usual, bantering, retaliatory manner.
I have spent a lot of time helping Chuckwagon in promoting this site, particularly the forum. That comes from the respect I have for the man and his incredible knowledge.
Did you know that your moderator spent 20 years in law enforcement, retiring as a county sheriff? Did you know that he had a piano repair business for many years? Did you know that he and his son had a custom knife-making business? How about that he taught piano and other instruments, at University level. In his spare time he has become a published author and an expert in curing and smoking meat.
My respect for this man, his awesome knowledge and accomplishments are beyond description. In a nutshell, he is the epitome of a Gentleman. (Just couldn`t resist!)
We have been "there for each other" through family traumas and even deaths. At this moment there are traumatic, family events taking place, (one of the joys of the `golden years`.)
All said; the old Coot is still a Nutbar and you should be very careful when approaching him. Never believe a word he says about Canadians. He is still in a state of delusion, brought on, by a reluctance to acknowledge that life does go on after -40F.
My wife loves the guy. She calls him Ol` Smokey and says that he looks like a Carbon copy of Wyatt Earp. Of course, the facial hair is simply to make up for a lack thereof, on top of Ol` Smokey.
Sorry, I just can`t relate without the jibing. Suffice it to say, I consider the old "Food Cart," (nice one Ross) a brother and best friend. He brings and builds good nature and humour everywhere he goes.
Salute my friend.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Apr 25, 2011 22:50

Chuckwagon, have you ever met a fellow named Baxter Black? Writes a column called the edge of common sense

I couldn't just leave it hanging there. Here is a link. . http://www.progressivecattle.com/index. ... Itemid=114
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 01:59

Yup, Ross! He's somethin' else eh?
Ross, Thanks for your support. Keep on posting! And for goodness sakes, don't take that Steelchef too seriously! There is a stiff wind of hot air blowin' over Ft. St. John B.C.! Shucks pard, you could "float a Colt" on the stuff! Yup, and it looks like I've got to put on my snowshoes and go up there just to straighten him out again. This time I'll load both hog legs and fan twelve at his feet... just to make him dance! Then I'll reload and trace his outline on the side of his barn! :shock: He'll calm down soon. Trust me.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 02:04

Hey JerBear, how about tellin' us what you are working on now. Have you graduated to "fermented sausages" yet? If not, would you like to try 'em? Shucks, we'll guide you through it if you just take the photos!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Apr 26, 2011 02:52

If I could eat as much food as I would like to prepare I would weigh about 300 pounds. So I have a long list of good things to fix but only God knows when I will have time to fix them and have enough people around to eat them and save me from myself.
Last week I roasted a piece of chuck and then cut it into soup size pieces now I have 3 quarts of veggie beef soup. Yesterday I roasted a small piece of lamb so I have left over lamb I am congentially unable to waste food so we are doomed to eat left overs and soup this week. The freezer is full and there are meat bargains every week that I must allow to pass.
The economy has improved so my friends are all working and don't have time to play. I think that we need to have a party at my place and help me to make room in my freezer for some sausage and home cured hams.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Apr 26, 2011 02:54

Bright shinny steel chef, can chuck hit the side of a barn with that hawgleg he's jawing about?
Ross- tightwad home cook
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Tue Apr 26, 2011 03:19

Sorry to be so long in replying. We've been airing the house, full fans and Febeze! The smell of BS is still lingering.
The only 'hog legs' that old coot has are in his smoker, or his mind?

Rosco, I have the exact same problem. Two freezers full of prepared or leftover food that is preventing the next generation of sausage, due to storage issues. We give a lot to my wife's co-workers and the family, nieghbours etc. Still have a problem. if you find a solution, please share.

Your link to Baxter Black is welcome. I nearly peed myself reading the first one. Will I need diapers to read the remainder? Depends!
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Apr 26, 2011 03:46

Chuck , you should find baxter's yarn about his brother rebuilding a piano for him. The man really did it but the tale is worth finding .
As far as a knowledge of music goes I know two things for certain. I know when I like a song and the longer it takes to write a note the less time you have to play it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 05:30

ssorllih, you asked,
Bright shinny steel chef, can chuck hit the side of a barn with that hawgleg he's jawing about?
Just who in the heck do you think kept the British from crossing the Grand Canyon during the War of 1812? And just who do you think is responsible for the peace and safety of thousands, when bad men such as Bad Bob, Squinty-eye Jake, Cacktus Jack, and Crazy Jerry were lurking about? Shucks, I had to "gun `em," but it was done for the "common good" of our townsfolk! Goodness, have you no respect?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Wed Apr 27, 2011 05:47

There's that odour again! :mrgreen:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Apr 27, 2011 13:41

I heard that you just waited until they were in the bottom of the canyon and threw rocks at them.
Ross- tightwad home cook
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 19:51

Chuckwagon wrote:
"Just who in the heck do you think kept the British from crossing the Grand Canyon during the War of 1812? And just who do you think is responsible for the peace and safety of thousands, when bad men such as Bad Bob, Squinty-eye Jake, Cacktus Jack, and Crazy Jerry were lurking about? Shucks, I had to "gun `em," but it was done for the "common good" of our townsfolk! Goodness, have you no respect?"
It wasn't the Brits that whipped up the Americans the the War of 1812, it was the Canucks. We are the only nation in the world to have put a thrashing on the Yanks in their own country, and that was without Frenchmen. The only reason that you have a "White House", is because it had to be painted after our foray. Our boys needed wood for a fire to drink beer around to celebrate the scrap!!!! If you were throwing rocks, you were probably some of the original recyclers, because you could take your burros down the canyon and load them up with the same rocks, bring back to the top and use them again. :grin:
Last edited by unclebuck on Sat Apr 30, 2011 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 02:54

Oh boy,
I can plainly see that RustChef has infected Buck and Ross with the rare disease he has. (Wottabunchacrap Disease). What has he done? I guess you could say he "really opened up a can of worms" eh? And there's no remedy. :???: Yes, yes, now you fellas can see why I don't get too near the Steelchef... he'll infect you with worms and "wottabunchcrap" :shock: Oh, you poor boys!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Apr 28, 2011 03:32

I have consulted with an old carpenter and he tells me that there is a cure but it can be rather isolating. He has told me that to cure this affliction I must go out and find dirt worms and take them down to the river and teach them to swim. He said that I should attach a long string to a strong bamboo cane and tie a hook to the string. The hook seems to provide a safe way of helping the worm to avoid drowning while it is learning to swim. The old carpenter said that sometimes fish will try to rescue the worms and if that happens I should remove the fish from the river and give it a good talking to and place it in a bucket.
He suggested that if I should fill the bucket with fish then perhaps it would be a good lesson for them to be roasted over a fire. So I will plan on attempting this cure at the earliest posible date.
Ross- tightwad home cook