WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu May 26, 2011 02:51

Hey all you smoke addicts, :wink:
Here is a brain-teaser for you to solve:
There is a sound on earth that will not produce an echo. No one knows the reason why!
Do you know what it is? No, you can't win a new Corvette or a paid vacation to Iceland, but you can solve the mystery and everyone will know you are a geniusl. Here's a hint:
The sound that will not echo, is not a cowboy's "ya hoo". :roll:
Ok gang... figure it out!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu May 26, 2011 04:11

from Simon and Garfunkle, The Sound of Silence.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu May 26, 2011 04:56

Good try Ross, but not it! :razz:
It is an actual sound you may hear, but will not echo - and scientists don't have any idea why. Keep trying. :lol:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Chicken breast for supper

Post by ssorllih » Fri May 27, 2011 01:55

Tonight I pulled a 1 pound chicken breast from the freezer and placed it to soak in a 25 degree brine of salt, cure # 1 and brown sugar with a good pinch of crushed red peppers. After about a half hour I could cut it and made six pieces of it. I gave it another hour and fried/cooked it in a skillet with bacon fat. As soon as it was firm to a pinch I called it done. Served with veggies it was very pleasing.
Generally I don't much care for chicken breast as I find it to be too dry. This was very moist, would flake like properly cooked fish.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat May 28, 2011 14:04

There are a few tricks to make this work for anyone . First do your food shopping early in the day. Many people watch for and grab the specials that are up against the sellby date. Read the sellby dates on fresh meat before the holidays and after the holiday on the sellby date arrive early.
I once bought fresh turkeys on their sell by date two days after thanksgiving for 25 cents per pound. Markets often offer chicken leg quarters for less than 50 cent per pound in ten pound bags. The packing isn't pretty and there is an occassional broken leg bone and the size isn't always uniform but they are good. The fat is always still attached and when rendered is excellant for biscuits and pastry.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat May 28, 2011 19:00

Store bought burger meat is almost always over two and a half dollars per pound but chuck roast often goes on sale for as little a a buck and a half. When you have more time than money it makes good sense to grind your own burgers from the bargin priced chuck.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun May 29, 2011 05:15

Hi Gang,
Ross wrote:
When you have more time than money it makes good sense to grind your own burgers from the bargin priced chuck.
Thank for posting this info Ross. Even when a person does not have more time than money, it is still a good idea to grind your own for a variety of reasons. I grind my own to control the fat but also to limit the contact with possible contaminated surfaces. Comminuted meat has much more surface area to be concerned with. I also get to package it the way I like it. Inconvenient? Not at all. It takes a few minutes to grind the stuff and a few minutes to wash up the utensils.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun May 29, 2011 05:36

I bought a tomato and a Vidala onion today and they cost more than the meat for the burgers for Nancy and me. The price of the burger was about the same as the cost of the bun. I must work on the garden and my bread recipe.
Always feed the grinder some stale bread or as I did today some pretzels to push out the last of the meat. Not a big deal if you are grinding ten pound but for grinding just one pound leaving a couple of ounces in the grinder is a large percentage.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun May 29, 2011 05:43

Just be careful and :shock: don't put a couple of fingers through the auger while your at it!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun May 29, 2011 05:59

Wow, I can't believe no one has solved the puzzle yet.
Here was the post:
Here is a brain-teaser for you to solve:
There is a sound on earth that will not produce an echo. No one knows the reason why!
Do you know what it is? No, you can't win a new Corvette or a paid vacation to Iceland, but you can solve the mystery and everyone will know you are a genius! Here's a hint:
The sound that will not echo, is not a cowboy's "ya hoo".
Ok gang... figure it out!
Alright sausagemakers, I'll give you another hint! If you solve the riddle, a large insurance company just might hire you to be an adjuster! :cool: Scientists cannot explain why this sound will not produce an echo. What is it? :?:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun May 29, 2011 12:41

Travelers uses an elk for heir logo. Could it be an elk mating call?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 30, 2011 01:31

Nope. Ross, you're on the right track but not even close. Need another hint? :lol:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon May 30, 2011 02:46

Whales?
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon May 30, 2011 03:42

The sound of wind through trees does not produce echos.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon May 30, 2011 04:49

From "paint your wagon" Mariah makes the mountians sound like ffolks out there are diein'.

Mariah makes no echo.
Last edited by ssorllih on Thu Jun 23, 2011 05:37, edited 2 times in total.
Ross- tightwad home cook