cuts of beef for sausage?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
jt

cuts of beef for sausage?

Post by jt » Wed Jan 18, 2012 17:48

I am relatively new to sausage making. I have done some nice pork and chicken sausages, but have not tried any beef sausage yet. We are planning to try a cervelat. The recipe in Mr Marianski's book calls for 70% beef and 30% pork. I am looking for others experience as to the cut of beef to use. Thank you in advance.

Jim
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Re: cuts of beef for sausage?

Post by el Ducko » Wed Jan 18, 2012 18:07

jt wrote: ...looking for others experience as to the cut of beef to use...
I just used chuck roast for some bratwurst, and it turned out tasty. Be sure to get the fat level up to a decent amount (say, 25% to 30%) using pork fat instead of beef fat. (Why...? Good reading- - Marianskis' book.)
Good luck! Sounds delicious.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
jt

Post by jt » Fri Jan 20, 2012 22:08

I was hoping to hear from people who have been making sausage for a while. I guess it doesn't matter... or my question wasn't interesting enough to respond to.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jan 20, 2012 22:41

Jt, most of the time if nothing is on sale then chuck is your best choice. You can use hind quarter meat but it is always leaner than the fore quarter meat. If the best buy price wise is steak in the bargain bin then use that. Several of the people here use 90% lean ground beef from the meat case. Remember you are going to grind this meat so you don't need to be concerned with finding the most tender cuts. Neck meat has more flavor than eye round muscle but unless you have a neighborhood butcher shop the neck meat will all be ground by the time it gets to the store near you. If you buy meat with the bones in be sure to cook the bones for the broth to use for soup.
Visit this site for more knowledge about where each cut comes from on the carcase: https://www.google.com/search?q=beef+cu ... 24&bih=568
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jan 20, 2012 22:52

jt wrote:The recipe in Mr Marianski's book calls for...
That's what I would use. Grab the book, open to Chapter 11 (Sausage Making Process), and have a look at a professional recommendation. You can use any cut that you like. Remember, sausage is NOT where the "noble" cuts wind up.

The table on page 148 gives you guidance as to fat content of various grades of meat. Just for grins, next time you break down your meat, weigh the muscle and the fat. (You'll find that these tables are pretty good.) ...and then select what you grind, based on weight percentages. Grinding it all up, the cut won't matter. It's more about the ingredient percentages. There's advice somewhere or other in there that says pork fat has better physical characteristics and better taste than beef tallow.

What the heck- - try it any way you want. Experiment. Enjoy! Some sausages are better than others, but I have yet to make a bad one! (My wife may beg to differ on blood sausage, but...)

BTW we're talking about the same book, "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages," right? If not, be sure to grab a copy. It's the best I've read so far.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jan 21, 2012 00:30

Has anybody here seen Jt? can you tell me where he's gone. he was here at 408 and complaining, that maybe we weren't interested in his questions. We have tried to give him answers but we don't know if he has gotten them.
Oh well! maybe tomorrow.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sat Jan 21, 2012 02:21

I would say that the type of Beef cut used depends on your own taste.

Yes one can substitute a lot of other beef cuts, but for my taste buds I prefer chuck, secondly also because it is very reasonable here (and frequently on sale).

On sausages with medium to fine grind I have also used Brisket, the flavor is divine. But in general it's more costly than Chuck.
Ron
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Jan 21, 2012 17:01

Bubba wrote:...On sausages with medium to fine grind I have also used Brisket, the flavor is divine. But in general it's more costly than Chuck.
Somehow, as a Texan, I can't imagine brisket being used for anything other than its highest calling, smoked brisket. (THAT's BBQ, as opposed to what you consider BBQ in South Carolina.) (UhOh! Shields up! Red alert!) But your post started me thinking.

Because of its high collagen content, brisket is best cooked "low and slow." Otherwise it's pretty tough. But after grinding, that wouldn't matter. I wonder, though- - would smoking brisket sausage require the same low, slow, careful smoking? ...or would it get too dry after four, six, eight hours? Maybe it could be smoked for two hours, then wrapped in foil for whatever rest of time is needed. It would qualify as a cooked sausage, no doubt. ...worth experimenting: how long would be best, at what temperature?

The alternative is those delicious, extremely fatty sausages they make at City Market in Luling, Texas, out of smoked brisket trimmings. Yum! ...makes your heart clog with a sudden "skrinch!" just thinking about it.
jt

Post by jt » Sun Jan 22, 2012 20:44

Ross: sorry I was whining. I had hoped for a quick consensus in hopes of making some sausage this weekend. No matter, I didn't have time anyway. I was hoping for the excellent responses that I got before I had to go back to work. I am told that with time, God will teach me patience. I just want it now.

el Ducko: The book that I was given is "The Art of Making Fermented Sausages". I think that the "Home Production" book that you quote may be a better book for a novice like me. I have just ordered it. Thanks.

I was wondering about brisket. I have a coulpe in the freezer. My wife asked this morning for some corned beef and I was considering corning half and using the other half of one of the packers in a sausage. I probably wont fire up the smoker till spring.

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies,

Jim
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 22, 2012 20:54

Jim , while you are waiting for you book(s) to arrive this sister web site is very useful: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-making
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Jan 22, 2012 21:47

jt wrote:el Ducko: The book that I was given is "The Art of Making Fermented Sausages". I think that the "Home Production" book that you quote may be a better book for a novice like me. I have just ordered it. Thanks.
You'll love the book, man. Enjoy! After reading it, you'll be hooked on the hobby.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 03:36

JT wrote:
I probably wont fire up the smoker till spring.
Holy Cow! :shock: Let's find a rope and string up the dude that turned it off in the first place!
JT, about this patience thing... we all need it. I've been researching my family's old Swiss recipe for cervelat ever since you started this thread. We're all behind you pal, just a little slow trying to be... uh... "comprehensive". Anyway, I think I've found the right file and will have it ready for you tonight.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

P.S. In any sausage, it's pretty hard to beat beef "chuck" and pork "butt" - both shoulder cuts.
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:20

JT,
I finally tracked down the Thuringer Cervelat Summer Sausage called "Cervelatpolse". You can click on this link:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=7034#7034

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
jt

Post by jt » Tue Jan 24, 2012 03:11

CW,
Thank you so much for the "Cervelatpolse" link. I can't wait to try this.
Jim
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 03:19

You are most welcome Jim! :smile: