Salt, Sugar, Sodium Nitrite

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Salt, Sugar, Sodium Nitrite

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 03, 2015 21:08

Hello are there any chemists out there? If I were to take salt, sugar and sodium nitrite and boil it into solution, water, would the three combine? Then if I let the solution, water, evaporate would the three separate into their individual components or remain bonded, if they did so originally in the boiled water. Tom
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Dec 03, 2015 23:39

They would form a solution and are not chemically combined.

What are you trying to do?
Tom
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom » Fri Dec 04, 2015 02:15

Bob K I was just curious about the combination. I have a substitute I use for Morton's Tender Quick. I make it as needed in small quantities. MTQ is bonded so you don't have to worry about the product separating over time. What I make requires that it's thoroughly mixed when you use it, no separation of the ingredients. MTQ is difficult to get and costs me about $5.00 per pound. It's not a big deal just something I'm playing with. Guess I have to much time on my hands :mrgreen: Tom
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Dec 04, 2015 13:21

MTQ contains propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform, it also contains both nitrate and nitrite.

You can easily customise and mix cure and other ingredients for each batch you make for just pennies per batch.