Australian And New Zealand Resources Discusion

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:24

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Aaron,
Plain Cure #1 and #2, US manufactured, is for sale at Misty Gully in Victoria.
Everybody in Australia seem to be manufacturing a variety of cures.
I prefer to stick to the above ones because most recipes I like list it in their ingredients.
Saves converting them to local cures and a lot less mistakes.
Cheers Mate,
Jan.
Thanks Jan
Yes, it would make it a lot easier to follow a recipe with recognised brands etc. Fortunately my electronic scales convert Lb to Kl and Ounces to grams so I don't have to work about getting cure ratios wrong in an American recipe...but the pink salts themselves would be easier to us straight from the packet.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 18:56

Hi Aaron,
Scales for measuring Cures should weigh 0.1 grams.
E Bay has plenty for sale, some even have calibration weights included.
t and T, teaspoons and Tablespoons just don't cut the mustard.
Cheers,
Jan.
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 12, 2014 00:50

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Aaron,
Scales for measuring Cures should weigh 0.1 grams.
E Bay has plenty for sale, some even have calibration weights included.
t and T, teaspoons and Tablespoons just don't cut the mustard.
Cheers,
Jan.
Jan.....How did you know I make my own mustard!!!......and Horseradish !!

Yes, I have a very nice electronic scale that measures down to 0.1 gram. The zero function is my favourite. Being able to put your bowl on the scale and then take off that weight so that it only measures the contents is very helpful......The scales were not cheap though...cost me $330 Dollars...But they are stainless steel commercial grade.
Cheers
Aaron
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 08:15

Aaron,
I knew immediately that when I told you to join this Forum that you were the Kerry Packer from The West.
Scales with a price tag of $ 330 bucks, wow!!!!
I've got 3 small 0.1 scales, the most expensive was around 30 dollars I think.
One gets used only once a fortnight.
Cheers Mate, enjoy your usual cray tails, smoked salmon and French Champers for brekkie.
Jan.
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Sat Jul 12, 2014 08:44

Bob K wrote:Just subtract the American fom the Polish...99.4% is salt
i appreciate the input but main question was how do we mix it, i'm great at maths believe it or not :)

my point was that it was said before that one should not mix their own cure with salt so i wonder if this rule still applies
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:34

crustyo44 wrote:Aaron,
I knew immediately that when I told you to join this Forum that you were the Kerry Packer from The West.
Scales with a price tag of $ 330 bucks, wow!!!!
I've got 3 small 0.1 scales, the most expensive was around 30 dollars I think.
One gets used only once a fortnight.
Cheers Mate, enjoy your usual cray tails, smoked salmon and French Champers for brekkie.
Jan.
Ha ha Jan...You found me out!....I love food and I'm willing to pay for it but i also like to eat like a peasant too....If it's tasty then I'm in!......I don't mind buying the equipment to do the job too!

I'm actually really excited today because my Goat milk supplier is culling some of her males in a few weeks so I have asked her to reserve me a whole leg.....
I want to cure and air dry in the same way as a Jamon Serrano/Proscuito etc...Janlab has shown me a pic of his outside air dry chamber and i reckon It would work a treat for my Goat leg.
I will be researching a recipe for the cure and hopefully start it all off on my return from Europe.
By the way...I'll let you know how that mediterranean Lobster tasted after it was cut lengthways and put on the coals for 6 minutes and served with black pepper and lemon juice
which got placed on top of a seafood Paella all washed down with a Pol Roger or a bottle of Krug.......
Joking apart...Where I live(in fact only a few hundred metres behind me) is Oyster harbour .We farm rock oysters and Mussels here and are sold locally at the producers plant in Emu .Point....We are really lucky to have everything at hand here.
There are heaps of wine growers too and lots of organic and Byodynamic farmers....we are very lucky.

Kind regards
Aaron
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jul 12, 2014 15:39

i appreciate the input but main question was how do we mix it, i'm great at maths believe it or not :)

my point was that it was said before that one should not mix their own cure with salt so i wonder if this rule still applies
I believe I may be misunderstanding you question, :oops: I do apologize but I will try again.

I believe you are referring to the post on making (mixing) you own cure with pure nitrite and salt that may be where "should not Mix" is coming from.

It is perfectly fine to mix cure #1 ,#2 and Peklosol with additional salt
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:07

Yes that is what i meant, thanks Bob K :)

in other news i finally got around getting my smoker ready and hope to do first smoke in 2 days, i got pork shoulder about 3kg worth of meat, got cures 1 and 2 and all range of spices anyone care to recommend me good recipe for first go that wont be too complex and with use of pork meat only? getting excited now :D
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Wed Jul 23, 2014 19:10

i been trying to find correct method for adding ascorbic acid to sausages
there is so much mixed info i'm quite confused after reading some of it, any advice on the topic would be great.
I understand you add it AFTER curing, but how long and how you can tell it is right time to add it?

TIA
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 20:05

Hi Croc,
If I was you, I make Csabai now that your smoker is ready. You can either eat it as a fresh sausage, smoke it or semy-dry it. It won't last long I guarantee it. Make sure you stock up on beer.
Message me if you want the recipe. It's on the Forum by Snagman. My version is hotter with more garlic as well.
Why do you want to use Ascorbic Acid, (Vitamin C)?
Cheers,
Jan.
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Thu Jul 24, 2014 02:23

to prevent nitrosamines formation, better safe then sorry? or i'm overthinking this?
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jul 24, 2014 04:31

Croc wrote:to prevent nitrosamines formation, better safe then sorry? or i'm overthinking this?
Yes, you may be over-thinking nitrosamines. If you stick to the normal recipe (cure #1 or it's equivalent where you live), there is no nitrate present and you need not be concerned.
Cure #2, which includes nitrate, is used in fermented sausages, but they are not usually cooked at high temperatures, so again, there's not much worry.

Please have a look at some of the discussions on this forum regarding nitrites, nitrates, and the like. This is a topic that you need to feel comfortable about. As for ascorbic acid, there is a little bit here, but not much. Have a look, anyway.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Thu Jul 24, 2014 09:25

thanks for your post el Ducko
i'm finishing up kabanosy recipe and wont be adding anything extra.
finally going to fire up my smoker today for the first time (fingers crossed all works out)
next going to try csabai recipe that Jan recommended
and you got to love women, just as i got ready to activate smoker she came up with idea that she is going to be vegetarian.... but i'm sure she will get the thirst for blood soon enough, eating meat is just too deep in our dna :D
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47

Croc wrote:thanks for your post el Ducko
i'm finishing up kabanosy recipe and wont be adding anything extra.
finally going to fire up my smoker today for the first time (fingers crossed all works out)
next going to try csabai recipe that Jan recommended
and you got to love women, just as i got ready to activate smoker she came up with idea that she is going to be vegetarian.... but i'm sure she will get the thirst for blood soon enough, eating meat is just too deep in our dna :D
More for you if she goes vegetarian ! :mrgreen:
Croc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Croc » Thu Jul 24, 2014 14:23

almost there