The Butcher

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
BBQBob
Beginner
Beginner

The Butcher

Post by BBQBob » Sat May 25, 2019 12:22

Hey gang!
I watched the new History Channel show called, The Butcher. Four contestants compete with their butcher skills to win $10,000.00.
The last challange was cutting up an alligator. Both contestants made sausage but one sliced the meat up into strips to grind. One commentator stated that by doing that the auger pulls in the meat to the grinding wheel. He also said that if you cube it, it tumbles in the auger. Had anyone ever tried grinding meat like that??
25 years ago I use to smoke pot. Now I smoke pork.
Agoracritus
User
User

Re: The Butcher

Post by Agoracritus » Sat May 25, 2019 23:53

Strips of meat are somewhat “self feeding” (requiring less “plunging” than cubed meat), but can easily overwhelm the worm drive through the added tension of “pinching” the meat against the worm-drive-housing. That’s how I busted my favorite grinder awhile back. There’s a reason cubes are always recommended, and grinders come with plungers!!!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue May 28, 2019 22:23

I agree with Ago. I don't think strips would make any difference since the design of the worm will bunch the meat up against the plate anyway. At least my grinder would. I think the most important thing is having the meat cut to a size it will fit comfortably down the horn and have the meat cold enough so the knives can make a clean cut.
MatterOne
User
User

Post by MatterOne » Thu May 30, 2019 23:07

I've always cut my meat into strips. It works fine, but I don't know that it works any better than cubes. It's just less cutting that I have to do.

I agree with Butterbean that having the meat cut to an appropriate size and chilled down enough are the most important things. Having a sharp blade and plate is important as well.