Was I dreaming?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Butterbean

Was I dreaming?

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 21, 2019 22:16

Lately I've been experimenting with contrasting textures in sausages using different grinds. I find the contrast interesting to the eye and to the palette. Anyhow, during the processing of some hams I ended up with some cooked pork skins that I thought might add an interesting texture to smoked sausages. Apart from naem moo, I've never used skins in a sausage but for some reason I was thinking someone - possibly Redzed - had posted a recipe of a sausage where he had done this. Was I dreaming or can someone point me in the direction of that thread or offer any advice on doing this. I think the contrast in texture and bite could be interesting.
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Was I dreaming?

Post by DanMcG » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:02

I don't think you were dreaming, I seem to remember the something similar.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Dec 22, 2019 14:34

I've seen it a lot of times and used in head cheese, also in Wursts, Some references in this string: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8356
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Dec 22, 2019 16:41

Bob K wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 14:34
I've seen it a lot of times and used in head cheese, also in Wursts, Some references in this string: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8356
I use it in head cheese and like the texture it gives as I like the cartilagey crunch you get from properly cooked ribs and things like that. I've recently been experimenting with sausages that have basically three grinds. One a paste used for binding and then step up to a typical sized plate then another grind using a 1" plate. I think this is a nice change of pace but at most you only get a slight texture change when you bite into the larger chunks. I'm thinking of adding maybe 10% cooked pork skin to the mix and see what this does. I imagine some people may not like this cartiligy texture but I think I might. I'll definitely save some of it for naem moo because I really like that.

I'll look around for some wurst recipes that call for it and see if I can get some ideas. Thanks for letting me know I'm not losing my mind completely. :lol: