Pulled Pork Sandwich

Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Pulled Pork Sandwich

Post by Keymaster » Sun Jan 22, 2012 15:06

I picked up a 6 pound pork shoulder bone in (not a Picnic). I slathered it up real good with plain old yellow Mustard.

Some folks just like to season ther Pork Shoulder with Kosher salt and pepper, I like to use a commercial Rub and rub it on liberally.

Then wrap the pork shouder in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnite. Then get your BBQ set up for indirect cooking and level the temperature out to about 250° F. A pork shoulder can be expected to take 1-1/2 to 2 hours of cooking per pound at a cooking Temperature of 225 ° to 250° F but could take longer or shorter depending on the outside temperature.

On to the BBQ it goes, Don't forget to throw a couple fist size chunks of Hickory on for smoke.

For Pulled pork we will want to take the Internal Temperature to 190 to 200° F.

Once you have reached your desired Internal Temperature you will want to FTC (Foil, Towel, Cooler) . Take the Pork shoulder off the BBQ and wrap in foil, cover with an old towel and let it rest for an hour or up to four hours if it got done real early in your small cooler.

Then take a couple of forks and start pulling it apart to your desired consistency.

Then get a hamburger bun and pile some pulled pork on the bun, add your favorite sauce, then put some coleslaw on the meat and add some more of your favorite sauce. Enjoy.

Last edited by Keymaster on Sun Jan 22, 2012 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sun Jan 22, 2012 15:09

I really like pulled pork. That looks wonderful.
Dick

Never quit learning!
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Jan 22, 2012 19:40

Mustard? Would that be South Carolina style? :shock:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Sun Jan 22, 2012 19:53

el Ducko wrote:Mustard? Would that be South Carolina style? :shock:
Im not sure where it originated but the vinegar in the mustard will help tenderize the meat, and its thick consistency will enable more rub to adhere to the outside. After cooking you can't even taste the mustard at all.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 20:26

Like Keymaster said you won't even taste it after it's cooked, it more of a glue for the rub to stick to than anything else. Some people use extra virgin olive oil for the same purpuse.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Jan 22, 2012 21:45

Devo wrote:Like Keymaster said you won't even taste it [mustard] after it's cooked, it more of a glue for the rub to stick to than anything else. Some people use extra virgin olive oil for the same purpose.
Thinking about it, sounds like I should mix my rub with olive oil, thereby gluing it on. :idea: I'll give it a try next time.
We'll probably end up in between best and worst case. At best, it'll give a little more rub flavor. At worst, it'll be tasteless like the mustard treatment. ..in which case, maybe I won't bother with the rub at all. After all, we're really after the smoke flavor.
Next case (just in case): a case of beer.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
jt

Post by jt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 02:27

I have tried with and without the mustard and didn't see significant difference. I do rub my pork the night before I smoke it. I do like a mustard based sauce on my sammys.