BBQ'd Meat Loaf

sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

BBQ'd Meat Loaf

Post by sausagemaneric » Tue Apr 02, 2013 03:58

Have any of you made a BBQ'd Meat Loaf? Here is my quick an dirty recipe.

2-lbs ground beef
2-eggs
1-8 oz can tomato sauce
1-tablespoon Tabasco
1-tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1-1/2 tablespoon Zatarain's cajun seasoning
1-cup oat meal powdered up in a food processor
1 onion not minced but chopped kind of small
4 ribs celery chopped the same
1 large bell pepper chopped like that too

Cook the veggies in a pan until fairly soft then mix it all together and pack it down in the bowl.
Turn the bowl over on a piece of aluminum foil and form it into a some what elongated shape and slide off onto the bbq grill with it set up for indirect cooking. Take it out at 145 deg. The best is when it has cooled over night and you slice off a piece about an inch and quarter thick and pan fry it until it has a nice brown crust on both sides......serve with Tabasco!
V465
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Apr 02, 2013 15:39

Hey that sounds like a tasty combination!.. But I do have to caution on adding the warm sauteed vegetables to raw ground beef.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Apr 02, 2013 21:01

Just about anything that's cooked in a oven can be done in a Weber kettle using indirect coals, been using one religously since 1977. At deer camp I've even done enchiladas and frozen pies, things come out just fine. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Wed Apr 03, 2013 04:19

I must say, I do let the veggies cool a bit before I toss it in the ground beef. Either way, the Weber is up around 450 deg when the meat loaf goes in, only takes like 45 minutes to cook.
V465
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 08:10

Sausagemaneric,
Dang! That sounds good. Have you got a name for this interesting recipe?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Sun Apr 07, 2013 04:41

Yeah, we call it "BBQ'd Meat Loaf". One of my son's buddies thinks it's about the greatest thing ever. It will pick up a nice smoke ring too. Best thing is it takes a half hour to prepare and 45 or so minutes to cook in the Weber. I just love frying up some of the left over in a cast Iron skillet.
V465